Vent - My BFF is driving me CRAZY!

cynt

The last couple of years my BFF of 20+ years has been unemployed and working temp/contract since she was laid off of her job of 15+ years. So $$ have been tight but she's managed. We had planned to go to NOLA for July 4 weekend but due to the Essence Festival and room rates outrageous, we booked a long weekend cruise on the Elation. She was kind of skeptical because of the cost. Her money was funny and her change was strange so I told her pay whatever you can and I'll cover the rest. Happy Early BDay to you! She agreed, I booked and paid for it last week. We celebrated!! Yelled Screamed - WE'RE GOING ON A CRUISE!!! We started looking at excursions and planning our cruise and a couple of days in NOLA.

Fast forward to today. I receive a text, I may need to cancel.

WTW! What's going on? It's a free trip why can't you go?

Mom fell and fractured a couple of ribs. She also has a bladder infection. They gave her meds. I will feel better if I stayed in the US and not cruise.

OK. Is all I could say. I have a Mom and understand you only get one and BFF wants to be there for her.

But you're staying in the states because your mom has a bladder infection:confused: and a couple of fractured ribs. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! Am I being punked!?!?!? Your dad and brother are there - in 2 weeks there will be little if anything they will need to do for her. We still have two weeks before the cruise, the bladder infection will go away - take your meds, drink plenty of water and cranberry juice. The fractured ribs will heal with time. AARRGGHH!!! I'm sooooo FRUSTRATED!!

I'm going to call her tomorrow and talk things through but I need to calm down first. I came here to vent and scream and whine and have a temper tantrum. She's ruining my July 4th weekend. LOL!!! Well, life just threw me lemons. I'm throwing them back and asking for limes so I can make MARGARITAS!!! Solo cruise here I come!!!

I'm 70% sure she will still cruise but really - cancel due to a bladder infection!?!??!!?

Has your BFF ever cruised before? I kind of doubt it... Or she would be jumping at the chance to go again.

BFF needs to appreciate you for the friend you are... Tell her to put on her big girl pantys and go have fun. There will be nothing for her to do for Mom in 2 weeks.

If she doesn't go, solo cruise it would be. I dang sure wouldn't mess up my vacation...

Has your BFF ever cruised before? I kind of doubt it... Or she would be jumping at the chance to go again.

BFF needs to appreciate you for the friend you are... Tell her to put on her big girl pantys and go have fun. There will be nothing for her to do for Mom in 2 weeks.

If she doesn't go, solo cruise it would be. I dang sure wouldn't mess up my vacation...

Yes she's cruised before. This would be her 3rd cruise. I told her I was going with or w/out her. It was going to cost me the same $$$ for a single occupancy cabin. So she jumped on the idea and we celebrated.

I bet she ends up going with you after all is said and done. If she doesn't, so what? ;) Have an awesome solo cruise - do what you want when you want! :D

I hope so! But if not, the show must go on!!!:D

Depending on her mother's general medical condition and age, there may be every reason she would feel more comfortable staying home with her. Ribs can take a long time to heal and if she is elderly or in bad shape the mother may need help with things that's she's more comfortable having her daughter help with. Also, I think elderly with broken ribs also become more susceptible to pneumonia. Maybe a dr or nurse could weigh in on that. It really may be more important that she stay and be with her ailing mother, than go party on a cruise with you, even if it is free.

I can understand your frustration. Since it is your BFF it's a good thing that you intend to calm down before speaking with her. It's scary when aging parents get sick or fall and hurt themselves so she needs your support, no matter how silly it may seem. She is worried and you can't blame her as you said you have a mom too. Cheer up it will all work out just fine and the two of you will be having a DOD at sail away in no time. :D

BTW You an awesome friend to have helped paid for her trip :)

People don't care when it's not their money that would be lost.

TRUE!! I was going to pay the same amount if I cruised solo. Now I'll have a king bed instead of a single twin bed. LOL!!

Is it possible that she feels a bit guilty about you spending that kind of money on her? She also may not have the extra money to spend in port or on the ship, and she may be too embarrassed to say so. I would be grateful if a friend paid for me to go on a cruise, but at the same time I would be embarrassed that I wasn't able to pay my own way.

Depending on her mother's general medical condition and age, there may be every reason she would feel more comfortable staying home with her. Ribs can take a long time to heal and if she is elderly or in bad shape the mother may need help with things that's she's more comfortable having her daughter help with. Also, I think elderly with broken ribs also become more susceptible to pneumonia. Maybe a dr or nurse could weigh in on that. It really may be more important that she stay and be with her ailing mother, than go party on a cruise with you, even if it is free.

I Absolutely agree. That's why I just texted OK. You know how crazy we are about our moms. The crazy thing is her Dad has more sickly issues than her mom. So of course her mom would be the one to get sick right before our vacation. LOL!!

Is it possible that she feels a bit guilty about you spending that kind of money on her? She also may not have the extra money to spend in port or on the ship, and she may be too embarrassed to say so. I would be grateful if a friend paid for me to go on a cruise, but at the same time I would be embarrassed that I wasn't able to pay my own way.

I don't believe so. I've been busted and broke and her family took care of me. I ate a many meals and spent holidays with her family. Plus we were broke college students together. We've seen the good, bad and ugly that only your BFF knows. LOL!!

Good point so I'll inquire when I speak with her.

I can understand your frustration. Since it is your BFF it's a good thing that you intend to calm down before speaking with her. It's scary when aging parents get sick or fall and hurt themselves so she needs your support, no matter how silly it may seem. She is worried and you can't blame her as you said you have a mom too. Cheer up it will all work out just fine and the two of you will be having a DOD at sail away in no time. :D

BTW You an awesome friend to have helped paid for her trip :)

My BFF and I go way back to our college days. Love her dearly. She would do the exact same thing for me.

Just being practical.....

If you can get someone to replace her, most fares will allow a change of pax for $50. Early Saver is one that allows no changes, there might be others.

I hope she decides to go. If Mom just recently injured herself, maybe BFF was just overreactng in the moment, and given time to calm down, will see things more clearly.

Keep us posted, nosy CC members want to know

The last couple of years my BFF of 20+ years has been unemployed and working temp/contract since she was laid off of her job of 15+ years. So $$ have been tight but she's managed. We had planned to go to NOLA for July 4 weekend but due to the Essence Festival and room rates outrageous, we booked a long weekend cruise on the Elation. She was kind of skeptical because of the cost. Her money was funny and her change was strange so I told her pay whatever you can and I'll cover the rest. Happy Early BDay to you! She agreed, I booked and paid for it last week. We celebrated!! Yelled Screamed - WE'RE GOING ON A CRUISE!!! We started looking at excursions and planning our cruise and a couple of days in NOLA.

Fast forward to today. I receive a text, I may need to cancel.

WTW! What's going on? It's a free trip why can't you go?

Mom fell and fractured a couple of ribs. She also has a bladder infection. They gave her meds. I will feel better if I stayed in the US and not cruise.

OK. Is all I could say. I have a Mom and understand you only get one and BFF wants to be there for her.

But you're staying in the states because your mom has a bladder infection:confused: and a couple of fractured ribs. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! Am I being punked!?!?!? Your dad and brother are there - in 2 weeks there will be little if anything they will need to do for her. We still have two weeks before the cruise, the bladder infection will go away - take your meds, drink plenty of water and cranberry juice. The fractured ribs will heal with time. AARRGGHH!!! I'm sooooo FRUSTRATED!!

I'm going to call her tomorrow and talk things through but I need to calm down first. I came here to vent and scream and whine and have a temper tantrum. She's ruining my July 4th weekend. LOL!!! Well, life just threw me lemons. I'm throwing them back and asking for limes so I can make MARGARITAS!!! Solo cruise here I come!!!

I'm 70% sure she will still cruise but really - cancel due to a bladder infection!?!??!!?

Call me, I'll go. Sorry, just couldn't help it.

But you are right, bladder infections go away with meds and water, ribs heal after time. So, find someone else that would like to go and relax and enjoy your cruise.

TRUE!! I was going to pay the same amount if I cruised solo. Now I'll have a king bed instead of a single twin bed. LOL!!

Plus you will get her taxes and fees refunded, so you will get the big bed and some extra money.

I hope she decides to go. If Mom just recently injured herself, maybe BFF was just overreactng in the moment, and given time to calm down, will see things more clearly.

Keep us posted, nosy CC members want to know

LOL!! I will definitely keep everyone posted!

Call me, I'll go. Sorry, just couldn't help it.

But you are right, bladder infections go away with meds and water, ribs heal after time. So, find someone else that would like to go and relax and enjoy your cruise.

What's ur #? LOL!!! I'm cool traveling solo! This late in the game I would only travel w/ BFF or my sisters and they have plans.

Archived