Vent - My BFF is driving me CRAZY!

cynt

O really? I didn't know that. Cool!!

It's not much. My sister was a no show and a couple week after the cruise I saw what at first I thought was a extra charge .. but it was in ( ) .. I finally figured out it was a refund of the 2nd pax add on taxes and fees.

Its done automatically.

My BFF and I are booked for a cruise in September, and had to have it paid off by July 2. I was worried that I might not be able to afford it, plus I had a ton of things going on that I thought were more of a priority than a cruise. I was hesitant to tell my BFF cause I knew how much she was looking forward to it. But when I talked to her about it, she said she understood and would support me no matter what my decision was - I can't tell you how comforting that was to me. Fortunately, things turned around and money I wasn't expecting became available and I'm able to go - much to our joint excitement. But your friendship is definitely more important than a cruise, even if it seems like a trivial reason to you, knowing that its important to her should be sufficient. I just lost my mom in February and I would give anything to have more time with her, maybe she has some kind of concern like that about her mom (that time is precious and slipping by fast). Yes a free cruise sounds fantastic and extremely generous but being with my mom would have been more valuable to me. I'm glad my friend understood that sometimes our priorities don't align but that doesn't make them any less important, as I'm sure you do. Like you said, you guys have been through alot, and friends for many years - after you get over the initial shock, I'm sure you'll be able to talk through it all. Best of luck!

Well, life just threw me lemons. I'm throwing them back and asking for limes so I can make MARGARITAS!!! Solo cruise here I come!!!

Vent all you want! Love this line! And have a great time if you end up cruising solo!

The last couple of years my BFF of 20+ years has been unemployed and working temp/contract since she was laid off of her job of 15+ years. So $$ have been tight but she's managed. We had planned to go to NOLA for July 4 weekend but due to the Essence Festival and room rates outrageous, we booked a long weekend cruise on the Elation. She was kind of skeptical because of the cost. Her money was funny and her change was strange so I told her pay whatever you can and I'll cover the rest. Happy Early BDay to you! She agreed, I booked and paid for it last week. We celebrated!! Yelled Screamed - WE'RE GOING ON A CRUISE!!! We started looking at excursions and planning our cruise and a couple of days in NOLA.

Fast forward to today. I receive a text, I may need to cancel.

WTW! What's going on? It's a free trip why can't you go?

Mom fell and fractured a couple of ribs. She also has a bladder infection. They gave her meds. I will feel better if I stayed in the US and not cruise.

OK. Is all I could say. I have a Mom and understand you only get one and BFF wants to be there for her.

But you're staying in the states because your mom has a bladder infection:confused: and a couple of fractured ribs. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! Am I being punked!?!?!? Your dad and brother are there - in 2 weeks there will be little if anything they will need to do for her. We still have two weeks before the cruise, the bladder infection will go away - take your meds, drink plenty of water and cranberry juice. The fractured ribs will heal with time. AARRGGHH!!! I'm sooooo FRUSTRATED!!

I'm going to call her tomorrow and talk things through but I need to calm down first. I came here to vent and scream and whine and have a temper tantrum. She's ruining my July 4th weekend. LOL!!! Well, life just threw me lemons. I'm throwing them back and asking for limes so I can make MARGARITAS!!! Solo cruise here I come!!!

I'm 70% sure she will still cruise but really - cancel due to a bladder infection!?!??!!?

Sorry this is happening to you. I hope you have a great cruise.

I have read other posts here on this board stating not to let Carnival know that she is cancelling (if it ends up that she can't go). Just show up alone at the port. There are fees involved I think if you tell Carnival in advance she's cancelling, but if she just doesn't show up, there's no extra fees. Just a head's up.

"The last couple of years my BFF of 20+ years has been unemployed and working temp/contract since she was laid off of her job of 15+ years."

Wow hadn't worked a full time job in 15 years. Sort of strikes me as being well within the margins of ... oh how do I say it .... A lazy LOSER!!!. I bet this isn't the first time you've had to pay her way.

If I had a friend that would pay my way for a cruise I would break down and cry. I would be their cruise slave.

My advice ..... call her and tell her that you have cancelled her reservation and then go alone. On the first sea day, after a good nights sleep ... ponder this one thought ..... ahhhhh

so this is what it's like not having MS. Lazy Loser hanging around. Sounds like you are a decent and responsible person ... you deserve better. Go girl you go find it. :cool:

JT

I understand your frustration... same thing happened to me twice (my first cousin) cancelled two Festival at Sea Cruises two years in a row after I had paid for her to attend :eek:. ... all I can say is never again! If she ever goes to FAS it will be on her "dime" and not mine!

Have fun on your cruise-- some of my best cruises have been solo cruises :D

OP, I feel your pain! I bought our MIL a cruise for Christmas as she loves to cruise but cannot afford it anymore.

Backtrack 2.5 months FIL goes to doctor and has COPD from smoking and is told by doctor "You cannot smoke ever again".

FIL quits for 2.25 months then decides it would be a good idea to take it up once again. and 4 days before we are set to fly to Florida and cruise he ends up in the hospital with pneumonia due to smoking...:mad:

"The last couple of years my BFF of 20+ years has been unemployed and working temp/contract since she was laid off of her job of 15+ years."

Wow hadn't worked a full time job in 15 years. Sort of strikes me as being well within the margins of ... oh how do I say it .... A lazy LOSER!!!. I bet this isn't the first time you've had to pay her way.

I interpreted this as being laid off a job she had worked for 15+ years

If I had a friend that would pay my way for a cruise I would break down and cry. I would be their cruise slave.

My advice ..... call her and tell her that you have cancelled her reservation and then go alone. On the first sea day, after a good nights sleep ... ponder this one thought ..... ahhhhh

so this is what it's like not having MS. Lazy Loser hanging around. Sounds like you are a decent and responsible person ... you deserve better. Go girl you go find it. :cool:

JT

ZERO reading comprehension skills I see.

The last couple of years my BFF of 20+ years has been unemployed and working temp/contract since she was laid off of her job of 15+ years. So $$ have been tight but she's managed. We had planned to go to NOLA for July 4 weekend but due to the Essence Festival and room rates outrageous, we booked a long weekend cruise on the Elation. She was kind of skeptical because of the cost. Her money was funny and her change was strange so I told her pay whatever you can and I'll cover the rest. Happy Early BDay to you! She agreed, I booked and paid for it last week. We celebrated!! Yelled Screamed - WE'RE GOING ON A CRUISE!!! We started looking at excursions and planning our cruise and a couple of days in NOLA.

Fast forward to today. I receive a text, I may need to cancel.

WTW! What's going on? It's a free trip why can't you go?

Mom fell and fractured a couple of ribs. She also has a bladder infection. They gave her meds. I will feel better if I stayed in the US and not cruise.

OK. Is all I could say. I have a Mom and understand you only get one and BFF wants to be there for her.

But you're staying in the states because your mom has a bladder infection:confused: and a couple of fractured ribs. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! Am I being punked!?!?!? Your dad and brother are there - in 2 weeks there will be little if anything they will need to do for her. We still have two weeks before the cruise, the bladder infection will go away - take your meds, drink plenty of water and cranberry juice. The fractured ribs will heal with time. AARRGGHH!!! I'm sooooo FRUSTRATED!!

I'm going to call her tomorrow and talk things through but I need to calm down first. I came here to vent and scream and whine and have a temper tantrum. She's ruining my July 4th weekend. LOL!!! Well, life just threw me lemons. I'm throwing them back and asking for limes so I can make MARGARITAS!!! Solo cruise here I come!!!

I'm 70% sure she will still cruise but really - cancel due to a bladder infection!?!??!!?

*in my donkey from Shrek voice* Oooo Ooooo me. take me.

I'll go even if I have a bladder infection and broken ribs. I'd hobble my way right to the 1st DOD. LOL

Wow hadn't worked a full time job in 15 years.

No, I think she got laid off of her job that she had worked at for 15+ years.

JT

The friend had been laid off from a job that she had been working for 15+ years. Now don't you feel like a nice guy for not reading thoroughly and calling her friend lazy and a loser?

1341280676078_3638941.png

My BFF and I are booked for a cruise in September, and had to have it paid off by July 2. I was worried that I might not be able to afford it, plus I had a ton of things going on that I thought were more of a priority than a cruise. I was hesitant to tell my BFF cause I knew how much she was looking forward to it. But when I talked to her about it, she said she understood and would support me no matter what my decision was - I can't tell you how comforting that was to me. Fortunately, things turned around and money I wasn't expecting became available and I'm able to go - much to our joint excitement. But your friendship is definitely more important than a cruise, even if it seems like a trivial reason to you, knowing that its important to her should be sufficient. I just lost my mom in February and I would give anything to have more time with her, maybe she has some kind of concern like that about her mom (that time is precious and slipping by fast). Yes a free cruise sounds fantastic and extremely generous but being with my mom would have been more valuable to me. I'm glad my friend understood that sometimes our priorities don't align but that doesn't make them any less important, as I'm sure you do. Like you said, you guys have been through alot, and friends for many years - after you get over the initial shock, I'm sure you'll be able to talk through it all. Best of luck!

Hugs to u Suzy. I lost my dad 8 years ago. I know how you're feeling. Take it one day at a time. More hugs for you!!

And you're right that initial text floored me. But I'm all better now after my temper tantrum. LOL! :D I love her and her mom so if she has to stay no big deal.

Okay, okay you're right I misread what she said. My apologies. Still I think the OP sounds like a decent, responsible and kind hear ted person.

ROTFLOL!!! Thanks jtwanabe! I'm trying to watch the game and read these comments and I almost fell of the couch laughing at you. Thanks for the laugh. Leave it to our CC buddies to help us see the way. LOL!!

I understand your frustration... same thing happened to me twice (my first cousin) cancelled two Festival at Sea Cruises two years in a row after I had paid for her to attend :eek:. ... all I can say is never again! If she ever goes to FAS it will be on her "dime" and not mine!

Have fun on your cruise-- some of my best cruises have been solo cruises :D

YIKES!!

GO SPURS GO PARKER!!!

Now back to our scheduled program.

YIKES!! 2 cruises! I know BFF is concerned about her mom. So I'm OK if they're OK. I've cruised solo once before so I know I'll be ok.

Hi there, Cynt. I hope that your friend change her mind about going. I'm currently caring for my mom who was diagnosed last year with pancreatic cancer and had surgery, currently in remission. My father was diagnosed last April with prostate cancer that has spread to his bones (in addition to dialysis 3 times a week). If offered a free a cruise at this moment I will have my bags packed before the sentence was completed. Come on San Antonio!

OP, I feel your pain! I bought our MIL a cruise for Christmas as she loves to cruise but cannot afford it anymore.

Backtrack 2.5 months FIL goes to doctor and has COPD from smoking and is told by doctor "You cannot smoke ever again".

FIL quits for 2.25 months then decides it would be a good idea to take it up once again. and 4 days before we are set to fly to Florida and cruise he ends up in the hospital with pneumonia due to smoking...:mad:

I'd be furious since he brought it on by resuming smoking! Did you have cruise insurance that covered pre-existing conditions? Did you still go on the cruise?

I think your friend just had a knee-jerk guilt reaction to her mom a being sick. I don't think it's against you at all...though I feel your frustration! I'm sure it will work out in the end either way.

From a medical pov..yes broken ribs can lead to pneumonia...mostly cause people don't take deep enough breaths and cough enough to clear bacteria from the lungs due to pain. Also, simple uti's can be a bit more serious in the elderly because the infection goes to the blood more easily. That being said...she'll probably be just fine...but your friend is not a complete goof for worrying.

I hope everything turns out great and y'all have a fabulous time. If not, I'm happy to fill in for her. We just gotta get back in time for me to take my brats on their cruise July 6. And we'll have to see if your friend will watch them while we're gone.:D

Archived