Cruise Insurance?

nick9319

One thing I have noticed.....the insurance the cruiselines offer when you book, are 'one price for all' with a basic or a better package.....the outside insurance carrier's charge is based on age...a very elderly passenger will pay a huge premium.

If you are buying cruise line insurance, be absolutely sure it is not ONLY cancellation coverage with very little for medical. HAL's best policy only provides $10,000 in medical coverage but provides for trip cancellation. I am not sure everyone who buys that policy knows the terms.

That small sum would not go very far in paying hospital/doctor bills. Verify exactly what you are buying no matter from whom you are buying it.

Hello.

I was just wondering, is it a good idea to get traveler's insurance? Did you get it when you went to a cruise? I know all the benefits, just was interested if people do get it.

cheers.

Yes, we did not get it when we were younger (we should have-it was really cheap back then) but decided we really should as we read more and more horror stories of people with out on forums like CC.

One thread I read that I think I will never forget was of a guy who at age 42 had a heart attack a week before his HAL cruise. He said he never bought insurance because he was healthy (until the heart attack, a point he left out which I found ironic) and had been a longtime loyal HAL customer. He was mad because HAL would not refund him his cruise or give him another cruise instead, and of course thought he would get sympathy from others or sway others not to cruise that line.

Although I felt badly for him, I found his superior attitude that the rules did not apply to him a bit obnoxious.

Absolutely buy insurance. It has saved me twice in the past two years. Last summer we had to cancel a 7-day Caribben cruise because my DMIL had a fall anf was hospitalized. Secondly, in reality, I am supposed to be on the Ruby Princess right now in the Med. We had booked this cruise taking the kids and grandkids (and DMIL). We had about $40K invested, including flights and pre/post hotels. Four weeks ago our son's daughter (age 5) got sick and died. Needless to say this put a damper on the trip and nobody could envision getting any enjoyment out of the cruise so we canceled. We're still processing the claim, but will get our money back, Whew!

DW and I decided we still needed some time away to ourselves. We didn't keep our reservations on RP because we had seen the Med just 3 years ago and the joy of the cruise was going to see all of the kids and grandkids enjoy the sights. So, DW and I quickly booked a 7-day Southern Caribbean out of San Juan leaving this Sunday.

We will try to do a family cruise or trip next year.

So sorry for your family. I know that had to be heartbreaking.

My MIL had a bad infection last September, she also fell she was so weak from the infection, and was ill for 6 weeks. (hosptalized for a week and then needed pysical therapy to build back her strength) At one point we had a booked Med cruise before that happened, but had canceled and went earlier instead (June 2012) so we were home when this happened-but it kept going through my mind, if we had not taken the earlier cruise we would have missed that trip and how glad I was we always got insurance.

So sorry for your family. I know that had to be heartbreaking.

My MIL had a bad infection last September, she also fell she was so weak from the infection, and was ill for 6 weeks. (hosptalized for a week and then needed pysical therapy to build back her strength) At one point we had a booked Med cruise before that happened, but had canceled and went earlier instead (June 2012) so we were home when this happened-but it kept going through my mind, if we had not taken the earlier cruise we would have missed that trip and how glad I was we always got insurance.

Sounds like my DMIL problem. She's doing great now.

Two other times cruise insurance helped me are:

1) At the end of an Alaska cruise in 2005 my DMIL's friend had a stroke in his sleep and didn't wake up on the morning we arrived in Vancouver. Insurace covered all hospital costs and even re-patriation of the body.

2) On a Med cruise in 2010 DW had a severe allergic reaction (to what, we don't know) as soon as we got on the ship. Four hours in the ship's hospital, IVs, and meds cost us $1,400, which we had to pay out of pocket, but were reimbursed through travel insurance.

I think that's all of the stories and I hope there will be no more added :eek:.

Seems like troubles follow me in my cruising life, but I won't stop. :p

First, everyone should understand what insurance is for: to help you manage the risks associated with a rare, but potentially expensive event. Once you understand what your risk tolerance is and what event(s) you wish to protect yourself from, you can decide if and what type of insurance you need.

When most of you talk about "cruise insurance", what you are really talking about is trip cancellation or interruption insurance. To this, I ask myself: is it worth ~7-10% of my trip cost to protect myself financially against the possibility that I might cancel or interrupt my vacation? The basic math on this is: you need to cancel or interrupt a vacation at least once in 10 to 13 vacations to make this type of insurance worthwhile. In addition, the financial risk or burden of such a cancellation must be such that you simply can't or won't take this risk. For those of us who do not buy trip insurance, we are essentially "self-insuring" because we save the insurance premium, burden our own risk and pay our own trip cancellation costs, if it should ever happen.

To me, the more important type of trip insurance is what is not typically included in standard basic cruise insurance--this is medical coverage while abroad (with or without preexisting conditions), medical evacuation and other health and death-related costs. Unbeknownst to most Americans with health insurance, little to none of this is typically covered when you travel overseas. And on top of all this, there is lost baggage coverage, accident coverage, etc. etc.

In summary, "cruise insurance" is an overly broad and useless term that, as used here when purchased from a travel agent or cruiseline, is actually overpriced and limited trip cancellation coverage. So I strongly recommend you know what you need, what you are buying, and should you decide you need it, buy it from a third-party insurer. And remember that the actual insurer (yes, the company that must pay your claims) is always a third-party anyhow so why would anyone pay twice as much for half the coverage (and often the wrong coverage) by buying insurance directly from their TA or cruiseline with their huge mark-ups? If you should need it, cut out the middleman and his profit (TAs and cruiselines make a substantial profit on insurance), and always buy from the insurance company directly.

Hello.

I was just wondering, is it a good idea to get traveler's insurance? Did you get it when you went to a cruise? I know all the benefits, just was interested if people do get it.

cheers.

We didn't on our first 3 cruises. But the following things happened during those cruises that made us rethink our position:

1. Direct flight from MI to FL on our 2nd cruise had to make an emergency landing in TN for 5 hours. Luckily we were flying in the day before.

2. Driving from MI to FL on our 3rd cruise with extended family: a. Fuse blew in DM's car making it impossible to open their trunk where all their luggage and SF's wheel chair where stored. Spent hours at a VW dealership to get fixed. Luckily we were driving down early to spend a few days with DGM. b. On the way to the ship a cooler flew out of a truck in front of us on the highway. It flew over our van and smashed into DM's front window on the drivers side. Luckily we were close enough to the port that DH could take over driving her car slowly to the port and the parking attendants were able to help them make arrangements to have it repaired while we were sailing. c. While we were on the cruise DGM, whom we had just visited, ended up going to the hospital with chest pains and finally d. DF, her son, who was on the mend in the hospital when we left, got a staff infection that sent him on a downhill slide. He passed away 3 days after we returned.

It was after this trip that we decided insurance would be wise investment for us. It turned out to be a good decision. On our 7th planned cruise DGM passed away the day before we were to set sail. We cancelled our cruise for a full refund and headed home.

Friends of ours, after hearing our story, started purchasing travel insurance for their trips. Last year as they were waiting at the airport to board their plan, they received a phone call that his Mother was not doing well and they were not expecting her make it another 24 hours. They cancelled everything and headed to where she was (6 hour drive). She passed away when they were halfway there. Luckily they had learned from us and purchased insurance and were reimbursed for their cancelled trip.

You may never need it. For the small cost, through insuremytrip.com, we have found it to be well worth the peace of mind for type of things it covers.

We didn't on our first 3 cruises. But the following things happened during those cruises that made us rethink our position:

1. Direct flight from MI to FL on our 2nd cruise had to make an emergency landing in TN for 5 hours. Luckily we were flying in the day before.

2. Driving from MI to FL on our 3rd cruise with extended family: a. Fuse blew in DM's car making it impossible to open their trunk where all their luggage and SF's wheel chair where stored. Spent hours at a VW dealership to get fixed. Luckily we were driving down early to spend a few days with DGM. b. On the way to the ship a cooler flew out of a truck in front of us on the highway. It flew over our van and smashed into DM's front window on the drivers side. Luckily we were close enough to the port that DH could take over driving her car slowly to the port and the parking attendants were able to help them make arrangements to have it repaired while we were sailing. c. While we were on the cruise DGM, whom we had just visited, ended up going to the hospital with chest pains and finally d. DF, her son, who was on the mend in the hospital when we left, got a staff infection that sent him on a downhill slide. He passed away 3 days after we returned.

It was after this trip that we decided insurance would be wise investment for us. It turned out to be a good decision. On our 7th planned cruise DGM passed away the day before we were to set sail. We cancelled our cruise for a full refund and headed home.

Friends of ours, after hearing our story, started purchasing travel insurance for their trips. Last year as they were waiting at the airport to board their plan, they received a phone call that his Mother was not doing well and they were not expecting her make it another 24 hours. They cancelled everything and headed to where she was (6 hour drive). She passed away when they were halfway there. Luckily they had learned from us and purchased insurance and were reimbursed for their cancelled trip.

You may never need it. For the small cost, through insuremytrip.com, we have found it to be well worth the peace of mind for type of things it covers.

You bring up many good examples for why someone may cancel or interrupt a trip but again, for those who did not read my last post, all these fall under the umbrella of trip cancellation or interruption only (and not any other travel insurance need), and many of your reasons to cancel are not likely valid for claims for trip cancellation under many cruiseline-issued policies--you need a "cancel for any reason" policy. Basically, the claimable reasons for trip cancellation or interruption vary widely from company to company and from policy to policy, and as can be expected, the cruise line/TA insurance policies are the most expensive and yet the most limited or restrictive! So buyer beware!

First, everyone should understand what insurance is for: to help you manage the risks associated with a rare, but potentially expensive event. Once you understand what your risk tolerance is and what event(s) you wish to protect yourself from, you can decide if and what type of insurance you need.

When most of you talk about "cruise insurance", what you are really talking about is trip cancellation or interruption insurance. To this, I ask myself: is it worth ~7-10% of my trip cost to protect myself financially against the possibility that I might cancel or interrupt my vacation? The basic math on this is: you need to cancel or interrupt a vacation at least once in 10 to 13 vacations to make this type of insurance worthwhile. In addition, the financial risk or burden of such a cancellation must be such that you simply can't or won't take this risk. For those of us who do not buy trip insurance, we are essentially "self-insuring" because we save the insurance premium, burden our own risk and pay our own trip cancellation costs, if it should ever happen.

To me, the more important type of trip insurance is what is not typically included in standard basic cruise insurance--this is medical coverage while abroad (with or without preexisting conditions), medical evacuation and other health and death-related costs. Unbeknownst to most Americans with health insurance, little to none of this is typically covered when you travel overseas. And on top of all this, there is lost baggage coverage, accident coverage, etc. etc.

In summary, "cruise insurance" is an overly broad and useless term that, as used here when purchased from a travel agent or cruiseline, is actually overpriced and limited trip cancellation coverage. So I strongly recommend you know what you need, what you are buying, and should you decide you need it, buy it from a third-party insurer. And remember that the actual insurer (yes, the company that must pay your claims) is always a third-party anyhow so why would anyone pay twice as much for half the coverage (and often the wrong coverage) by buying insurance directly from their TA or cruiseline with their huge mark-ups? If you should need it, cut out the middleman and his profit (TAs and cruiselines make a substantial profit on insurance), and always buy from the insurance company directly.

Our cost for our family of four has always run around 3% of the trip we are insuring. Our upcoming Carnival Freedom Insurance cost $125 for a $4000 trip. Considering we have already had to file a claim for trip cancellation on our 7th planned cruise and were fully refunded....we find that 3% to be totally worth it.

You bring up many examples for buying trip cancellation or interruption insurance but again, for those who did not read my post, these all fall under the umbrella of trip cancellation or interruption (and not many of the other possible travel insurance needs), and many of your reasons to cancel may not be valid for claims for trip cancellation under many cruise policies. Basically, the claimable reasons for trip cancellation or interruption vary widely from company to company and from policy to policy, and as can be expected, the cruise line/TA insurance policies are the most expensive and yet the most limited or restrictive! So buyer beware!

Which is why I stated I purchase through insuremytrip.com. I always compare the policies for the one that best fits my cruising needs.

Which is why I stated I purchase through insuremytrip.com. I always compare the policies for the one that best fits my cruising needs.
I saw that and completely see that you "get it". But it's very important for others to understand what coverages they bought and under what circumstances their claims will be honored. I worry that many people who read this thread casually will see all the people opting for "cruise insurance", and then jump on the bandwagon by buying it through their TA or cruiseline. Many will think they will covered for all the trip cancellation or interruption possibilities (like the examples you cite), but they actually aren't, because you didn't specifically mention you bought "cancel for any reason" policy --a completely different type of coverage than the more expensive, yet limited coverage that a TA or cruiseline will sell you by default. So this could be a BIG mistake for someone not paying attention.

So I am neither recommending or not recommending travel insurance, but rather am trying to make sure that people understand what they need, what they are insuring and then buying the insurance they need through a reputable third-party broker like insuremytrip, and never through your TA or cruiseline! :)

We agree.

We said it in different ways but I think the message similar. :)

Below is what I wrote in Post #5 above in this thread.

We are always sure to have medical coverage outside the country and evacuation/repatriation coverage. We never insure the cost of the cruise. We did early in our cruising 'career' but at a certain point, when premiums became much higher, we made a choice to stop insuring for cancellation. We could afford the price of the trip or we would not have booked it and calculated that after about the first 4-5 cruises, we would be at break even if we had to cancel. The real risk for high financial risk is high medical bills/evacuation. The price of the trip, in most cases, is less significant than a bad injury/illness could cost.

We were willing to risk the loss of price of the trip and save the premiums. We have now sailed well over 60+ cruises since we stopped insuring for cancellation and are so far ahead (never having had to cancel while in the penalty period), that though we'd hate to lose the money, we would have saved tens of thousands of dollars in premiums we didn't pay.

The premiums for medical/evacuation/repatriation only are very low. The majority of the premium for full coverage is for the cancellation/interruption feature.

When I was married, we never bought travel insurance. Once I got divorced, I started buying travel insurance for any trip that I took that went out of the US. I was so happy I had it on a land trip I did in Italy. I shattered my left fibula and dislocated my left tibia at the ankle. Part of the bone was pushing on the skin, but fortunately did not break the skin. I was hiking at the time just outside of Montalcino. Paramedics came and got me out, drove me to the hospital in Siena. Had the leg/ankle done as best as could be done without surgery. I had discussed how long I could wait for surgery with the ortho and decided I could fly home and have my familiar ortho there take care of it. But, I had to stay in the hospital in Siena for 4 days before they would clear me to fly. This was before the schedule end of my trip. My insurance paid for the missed parts of the trip (I was on a group hiking trip), change fees for my flights, and the 15,000EU hospital bill, the 100EU bill for the taxi from Siena to Florence. The insurance also offered to pay for a nurse to accompany me on my flights (FLR-CDG (overnight in Sheraton at CDG) CDG-IAD, IAD-home). I declined the offer. They did translation service of the bills and such from Italian to English for me to keep. They paid for my cell calls between me and my MD at home and my ortho at home.

Use it once, and you'll want to do it always. I just consider it a normal part of what I pay for as part of a international vacation.

When I was married, we never bought travel insurance. Once I got divorced, I started buying travel insurance for any trip that I took that went out of the US. I was so happy I had it on a land trip I did in Italy. I shattered my left fibula and dislocated my left tibia at the ankle. Part of the bone was pushing on the skin, but fortunately did not break the skin. I was hiking at the time just outside of Montalcino. Paramedics came and got me out, drove me to the hospital in Siena. Had the leg/ankle done as best as could be done without surgery. I had discussed how long I could wait for surgery with the ortho and decided I could fly home and have my familiar ortho there take care of it. But, I had to stay in the hospital in Siena for 4 days before they would clear me to fly. This was before the schedule end of my trip. My insurance paid for the missed parts of the trip (I was on a group hiking trip), change fees for my flights, and the 15,000EU hospital bill, the 100EU bill for the taxi from Siena to Florence. The insurance also offered to pay for a nurse to accompany me on my flights (FLR-CDG (overnight in Sheraton at CDG) CDG-IAD, IAD-home). I declined the offer. They did translation service of the bills and such from Italian to English for me to keep. They paid for my cell calls between me and my MD at home and my ortho at home.

Use it once, and you'll want to do it always. I just consider it a normal part of what I pay for as part of a international vacation.

That must have been a nightmare (and extremely painful). That is one of my fears: having to be hospitalized in a foreign country. Sounds like they took really good care of you. Did you have a full recovery?

I not only always purchase the cruiseline's insurance, but also have joined MedJetAssist, in case, heaven forbid, I would ever need to be evacuated back to a local hospital while traveling. The Medicare supplement that I chose does cover some medical costs, but only after a $250 deductible.

On a recent cruise, when I fell while on a private tour to the Vatican, and lacerated my upper lip, requiring sutures, as well as spraining my wrist. I went to the ship's medical center, and my expenses came to over $600. I first submitted a claim to my supplemental insurance, and they reimbursed about 1/3 of my expenses. The cruisline insurance then paid all of the remaining expenses, including reimbursing me for the deductible amount. All told, I was not out a penny out-of-pocket.

That must have been a nightmare (and extremely painful). That is one of my fears: having to be hospitalized in a foreign country. Sounds like they took really good care of you. Did you have a full recovery?

I was actually the calm one. My travel partners were freaking out - I actually said "hey, take a picture of it"!!!! I'm one who takes life as it comes at me. The hospital in Siena (attached to the University) was excellent. I didn't speak Italian and there was one intern in the ortho group who spoke very little English, but we got things done. Once I was home, I had surgery to finish the job - a plate and 13 screws. I was in various casts for 6 months and rehab/PT for 6 months after that. I didn't make a total recovery (probably about 90%), but I can walk all day, stand all day, ski, jog a little. I lost some feeling in my big toe (it feels like it's almost asleep), so I'm reminded of it everyday. My PT said he didn't think I'd get back as much as I did. I was in there 2-3 times a week and I was definitely NOT a slacker on the therapy and exercises.

My ex was "stung" by a small spotted ray on a trip to the Caymans. Again, the hospital there took good care of him in the ER.

One thing I really want to mention: In addition to my trip insurance, I have a RoadID. It's a bracelet, but not a MedicAlert type. It is on a velcro strap type of bracelet (like some watches). It has a plate on it with my name, blood type, my bee and sulfa allergies and a number to call. On the back, there is a serial # and a PIN #. Emergency personnel can call that number from anywhere in the world and RoadID will let them know of any information I have recorded on my profile - meds, recent surgeries, vaccinations, home physician, my insurance info. It speaks for me if I can't. My athlete friends told me about it and I am glad they did. I don't travel without it, I also always put it on if I'm going hiking/biking/etc out on my own. You can search for their website. I consider it part of my insurance coverage!

I not only always purchase the cruiseline's insurance, but also have joined MedJetAssist, in case, heaven forbid, I would ever need to be evacuated back to a local hospital while traveling. The Medicare supplement that I chose does cover some medical costs, but only after a $250 deductible.

<snip>

We have had MedJetAssist policy for years and it is now time for us to renew. Friends of ours needed their services and they were very pleased the way they were treated/taken care of. It is one of the few that will try to evacuate you to the hospital of your choice if medically safe for them to do so.

Hello.

cheers.

We do and it paid off for us. A month (or a little less) before we were to sail out of Galveston my sister found out she had the early stages of breast cancer and was going to start her radiation therapy the week that we would have been on the ship.

If was past final payment date so we were lucky that because of our traveler's insurance we were able to get back 100% (less the cost of the insurance) of our fare back.

You never know what life will bring you so it is best to be prepared, just in case.

We do and it paid off for us. A month (or a little less) before we were to sail out of Galveston my sister found out she had the early stages of breast cancer and was going to start her radiation therapy the week that we would have been on the ship.

If was past final payment date so we were lucky that because of our traveler's insurance we were able to get back 100% (less the cost of the insurance) of our fare back.

You never know what life will bring you so it is best to be prepared, just in case.

I hope your sister is doing well now

Archived