Cafe Select Coffee Card

Imnluck

I will be on the Grand in a few weeks. Does anyone know what kind of coffee drinks they have? Are they similar to Starbucks? Is the card a good value?

Look her for the coffee menu. https://www.google.com/search?q=princess+coffee+bar+menu&client=firefox-a&hs=CjN&rls=org.mozilla

A 15% tip is added to all posted prices.

You get 15 special coffee drinks (card punches) for $31 including the 15% tip. Unused punches can be used on future Princess Cruises. The card also gives you unlimited coffee and premium tea for the entire cruise. This provision is not valid on your next cruise. I'v now read that the punches are also good for gelato on the Royal.

I think it's worth it.

I've never been one to purchase a beverage card on a cruise, but this coffee card sounds like its worth it. Does anyone know if it's sold at a discounted rate upon embarkation? (I might be mistaken but i think i've seen RCCL offer discounts on their beverage package upon embarkation, is why I ask).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Is the quality of the Cappuccino similar to Starbucks? I've ordered the Cappuccino after dinner on Carnival, and I wouldn't pay a buck for that stuff at all.

What kind of "premium" coffee can you get an unlimited amount of?

I wouldn't drink enough soda to make a soda card pay for itself, but I could easily go through 15 coffee drinks on a 14 day cruise.

Is the quality of the Cappuccino similar to Starbucks? I've ordered the Cappuccino after dinner on Carnival, and I wouldn't pay a buck for that stuff at all.

What kind of "premium" coffee can you get an unlimited amount of?

I wouldn't drink enough soda to make a soda card pay for itself, but I could easily go through 15 coffee drinks on a 14 day cruise.

I don't recall a brand name being on the brewed coffee. I really just get the card for that. We don't drink the speciality coffees. It is better than the coffee offered without addl cost.

My husband is not a Starbucks person , but likes just plain good coffee, and the syrup stuff they serve just isn't very good, So I was thinking of ordering a coffee card online at Princess in the gift area for him before we go , has anyone done that is it in your cabin when you board , or is there no advantage to doing that.

Cori

Photos from Caribbean Princess in April.

The froo-froo frozen drinks were huge. My favorite was a chocolate raspberry but it was too rich for me and I had to share it.

1510888905_Coffee1.jpg.5896a44084b5d9a7613468ff4527594f.jpg

660089979_Coffee2.jpg.a7a2b23fee5e4cc99d74bd3daedcbb12.jpg

159282195_Coffee3(tea)small.jpg.6df79543d0cb3630d4be843e74908987.jpg

Edited by Rinderoo

I don't recall a brand name being on the brewed coffee. I really just get the card for that. We don't drink the speciality coffees. It is better than the coffee offered without addl cost.

As for quality similar to Starbuck's...it seems about the same to me. I frequent Starbuck's a lot (gold card member, lol) and usually get a soy latte or a mocha. I thought the one's I've had on board any of the Princess ships has been similar in taste.

And, I will qualify that a bit...I'm not a coffee person (LOL)...coffee is really just a vehicle for the stuff that goes in it for me, but I've always thought the specialty coffee on Princess was similar enough to Starbuck's for me to be satisfied.

The coffee itself, is usually (or at least when the coffee place is in one of the bars--can't remember when it's in IC) in one of those roundish glass pots, so not entirely sure what kind it is. The flavoring is sometimes a powder (as in the vanilla) and sometimes a syrup (chocolate I think), if you get any of those kinds of drinks.

Photos from Caribbean Princess in April.

The froo-froo frozen drinks were huge. My favorite was a chocolate raspberry but it was too rich for me and I had to share it.

[ATTACH]276613[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]276614[/ATTACH]

Vanilla Bean Blend is so good and refreshing after a hot day in port:D

Is the coffee shop on board the only place to get this premium coffee?

Is there an option to buy a souvenir coffee mug as well, or should I just plan to bring my own?

You can order the specialty coffee in the dining room as well, and possibly Horizon Court. I got a commuter type mug with a couple of my coffee card purchases, though not sure they offer this all the time. I did see one recently, though which makes me think that it is available at least on some ships.

Best $$ we spent on the Ruby last yr, get a real coffee card and cruise happy! ;)

ps; Once our waiter and his assant found out we had the card, they made sure we had real coffee after dinner.

Edited by wallie5446

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for brewed and specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service is also syrup based. The dining rooms also have brewed coffee for the same price.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, just as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

You'll find brewed coffee from grounds at some lounges, and in the International Cafe. Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

The other thing we found odd is they have NO sugar free syrups for those of us who need sugar free! They do have soy milk though unless they run out, which happened on our transatlantic!

Yes, we found the International Cafe on the Crown Princess did not have any sugar-free flavorings.

Perhaps other venues or ships have some, but DW will bring some of her own on the Caribbean Princess.

(I'm a straight espresso guzzler myself)

Deciding which to bring will be half the fun. There are so many sugar-free flavor syrups now! I thought it strange they didn't have even one.

Rick

I will be on Ruby Princess in 2 weeks and it seems worthwhile for me to get a coffee card, especially if it can be used in some of the lounges for speciality coffee and brewed coffee. Will 1 card allow my wife and I to order 2 brewed coffees or do we require 2 cards? Also, are these cards available on board as well as on the Princess Site. Thanks for any information.

I will be on Ruby Princess in 2 weeks and it seems worthwhile for me to get a coffee card, especially if it can be used in some of the lounges for speciality coffee and brewed coffee.

In general, you can't get brewed or speciality coffee in lounges.

You can get speciality coffees at the international cafe bar,

main dining rooms, Sabatinni's, Crown Grill, Adagio bar,

and Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe (from Calypso Bar).