Viking, the Good, the Bad and the very Ugly Part 2

phoebecat

Viking`s response to Phoebecat`s complaints or lack of it is one thing, but I am struggling to understand how any human can see a poor old man fall and not instinctively run to help. As I said in another thread, I suspect that the crew was just completely burnt out. They`re working twice as hard embarking & disembarking disenchanted passengers who certainly wont be tipping. A sad situation all round. Sad also to see how, the previously very reasonable, Phoebecat has got crosser and crosser. I suspect that Viking may avoid being "held to ransome" like this otherwise every cruiser with a grudge would be using cruisecritic to extract revenge or greater recompense.

We have a January cruise in Asia booked with Viking. Fortunately we purchased insurance that allows us to cancel for any reason. Although I really don't want to cancel it, I am closely watching the forums to see how Viking handles all these issues. Clearly this was not their finest moment. They now have had time to sort out how to treat their customers that went through this terrible time. Please keep us posted.

One of the most useful parts of CC is for people to share their cruise experiences and what they felt about it.

That is very useful information to others.

Unfortunately there seems a tendency for some to try and get behind the motives of why someone is posting and / or to repeat advice as to what to do about it.

If we do too much of the latter, we may stop people sharing their experiences.

As it happens, if someone wants to follow up a complaint about a holiday sold in the UK it is very simple.

1) Official complaint to the tour operator

2) If not happy with the response, official complaint to the Tour Company Regulator (ABTA)

If someone did not get the holiday they paid for then UK and European rules give us the ability to sort it out without complications or cost.

However it is totally up to Phoebe what she wants to do about her problems on holiday !!

One of the most useful parts of CC is for people to share their cruise experiences and what they felt about it.

That is very useful information to others.

Unfortunately there seems a tendency for some to try and get behind the motives of why someone is posting and / or to repeat advice as to what to do about it.

If we do too much of the latter, we may stop people sharing their experiences.

Having read the posts above, I have debated for the last hour whether or not to post the outcome and Vikings response to me. It appears my posts are being misconstrued and I find it hurtful what previous posters have said. At all times I have attempted to be factual and when giving my opinion, have made it clear that it is my opinion and mine alone.

I am not, and never have, attempted to hold anyone to ransom and I certainly do not see my comments as being those of someone lashing out. I have tried to keep a reasonable tone throughout.

My final post on this matter is headed Vikings Response, and can be found on the main River Cruising page.

bravo to telling us about your personal experience with viking cruises. as a consumer we value such feedback and detail. we look beyond the gloss and closely examine travel products before we pay.

you were treated badly. people need to know that these things can and do happen. they can then make their own decisions.

the purpose of this website is to exchange info among other promotions. your account was/is valued. just hearing the nice and good stories maybe pleasent/entertaining but it some of us want to know more.

hope your next trip is better. it would not be hard to achieve.

I truly appreciated your feedback from your cruise. I am taking my first RC next year and comments such as these contributed to my decision. I truly resent when people are "attacked" on these boards and wonder why the CC administrators don't step in. It feels as if a small group of people have hijacked this particular forum and I am reluctant to post because of this.

I have used cruise critic for years even though I don't post much. I use the 80/20 rule with believing about 80% is facts and 20% is emotion.

Viking`s response to Phoebecat`s complaints or lack of it is one thing, but I am struggling to understand how any human can see a poor old man fall and not instinctively run to help. As I said in another thread, I suspect that the crew was just completely burnt out. They`re working twice as hard embarking & disembarking disenchanted passengers who certainly wont be tipping. A sad situation all round. Sad also to see how, the previously very reasonable, Phoebecat has got crosser and crosser. I suspect that Viking may avoid being "held to ransome" like this otherwise every cruiser with a grudge would be using cruisecritic to extract revenge or greater recompense.

I imagine people at Viking drawing straws to see who has to speak to Phoebecat at this point. They remind me of a man who thinks if they ignore the pissed off woman, things will resolve themselves naturally. HA. Should know better.

I am not defending the actions of anyone who ignores a fallen person, but I thought I read that lots of people noticed this and no one came to help. I really find it difficult to believe that no one came to help. It makes me wonder if anyone saw it.

Additionally, why was this not brought to the attention of the doctor on the ship? I would think if an elderly person fell, they would seek immediate attention, if nothing else to document the event in case medical attention was later needed.

Felicia

I imagine people at Viking drawing straws to see who has to speak to Phoebecat at this point. They remind me of a man who thinks if they ignore the pissed off woman, things will resolve themselves naturally. HA. Should know better.

I am not defending the actions of anyone who ignores a fallen person, but I thought I read that lots of people noticed this and no one came to help. I really find it difficult to believe that no one came to help. It makes me wonder if anyone saw it.

Additionally, why was this not brought to the attention of the doctor on the ship? I would think if an elderly person fell, they would seek immediate attention, if nothing else to document the event in case medical attention was later needed.

Felicia

There are no medical personnel on riverboats. This is because the vessel is not very large and there are medical facilities in the nearby towns. I don't think Phoebecat explained why she did not seek medical attention for her father on shore.

Terri

There are no medical personnel on riverboats. This is because the vessel is not very large and there are medical facilities in the nearby towns. I don't think Phoebecat explained why she did not seek medical attention for her father on shore.

Terri

Aha, well that explains it. Still, if my elderly parent fell, I'd be saying, "Hey, I need some help here!" Once my grandfather fell between some automatic doors that malfunctioned and lay there while the doors kept opening and closing on the poor thing. (He was alone at the time.) He said the people in the grocery store just stood there staring at him. He was mortified, but thankfully not hurt.

Later, I read somewhere that often people don't offer to help because it appears they are taking the blame for it, and opening up the door to a frivolous lawsuit.

Not that that's a good explanation, by any means!!

And Phoebecat, I certainly hope your father is better soon.

Dear Phoebecat,

As you know, Viking Cruises has been a member of the Cruise Critic community for a few years now – reading feedback from our guests, trying to help (when and if possible), providing information, and sometimes our own point of view. We read all of your posts for the past month, noting your concern about the flood in Central Europe, your level-headed approach to a situation that was constantly in flux and where emotions often ran high, and we smiled when in the midst of it all you were “counting sleeps” before your then upcoming cruise with your father.

We were surprised when you posted while still onboard—toward the end of your trip—that some things had gone well, and some had not gone well and that you would write a full review later. And yes, we did ask a member of the team to contact your ship and attempt to speak with you. Please know that it was our sincere intention to try to get an understanding of your particular situation in order to see if we could alleviate it in the time you had remaining onboard, albeit short as it was. We do sincerely apologize that we interrupted your vacation.

We were pleased to see your post in another thread that after you returned home you had a conversation with the team member who had contacted you during your cruise—and that together you reached an amicable conclusion.

The situation you describe with your father’s fall was concerning to read — and it does not sound typical for how our crew care for guests and watch out for their safety and comfort. Please accept our apologies and send your father our regards. If you would like to discuss anything else about your trip now that you have had more time to reflect on it and settle in at home, please know you can always contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Kindest regards,

Viking Cruises

Viking: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Part 2

Our seven night Romantic Danube cruise was affected by the Central European floods. We had to ship swap. Coach trips were substituted for scheduled sailing and walking tours on one and a half days. Being moored in Vienna for forty eight hours meant that we only cruised/physically moved along the river for one afternoon (on leaving Nuremberg), two nights (Nuremberg to Regensburg, Regensburg to Passau) and one evening/night (Vienna to Budapest). A big disappointment, and not what we had paid for.

We lost one and a half full days on board and two lunches. Local hotel/restaurant meals were provided instead, but they were not to the ships standard and not what we had paid for.

Luggage was transported by Viking in a van between Passau and Vienna. At least three passengers found their luggage irreperably damaged on arrival in Vienna. My fathers case had the wheel and part of the base ripped off. Another passenger found the case handle broken off. Another passenger discovered a large hole ripped in the cases side. Although Viking replaced two of these cases, the replacements were not of the same size and quality as the originals.

Following the four hour coach trip from Passau to Vienna, one couple asked Viking to arrange flights for them back to the US, and left the ship.

My father fell between the ship and the quay in Vienna, whilst boarding. It was no fault of Vikings that the accident occurred. But, it happened in full view of crew members, and no one assisted. Instead, myself and a fellow passenger pulled him to safety. No one came to our cabin or spoke to us later to ask if he was alright or needed medical attention.

Whilst we had no issues with the food on board and enjoyed the meals prepared and restaurant service, others were not so complimentary. Their complaints included reconstituted chicken fillets, breakfast items kept under a heat lamp but not hot enough, tinned frankfurter sausages for lunch in the cafe lounge, and chicken nuggets served as hors d'oeuvres.

I wrote my first posting about this cruise on Thursday evening and posted it at midnight, European time. At nine am the following morning, I was told by the Njord hotel managed that 'LA wishes to speak with you this afternoon.' I explained we would be at the concert in Vienna, and that I'd be delighted to talk with 'LA' on Monday 1st July when I returned home.

On Saturday morning, whilst waiting to disembark, the Njord receptionist handed me a printed email, from one of Vikings Vice Presidents. It asked that I call them as soon as possible after reading the email, saying they were disappointed to read of my criticism of their staff and product. They said their hotel manager on the Idun was at fault for giving me false information. They went on to say they were reading carefully what i was posting online. The tone of the email was unpleasant and vaguely unsettling.

During my three days on board the Idun I never once spoke with the hotel manager. So, a factual inaccuracy. Secondly, attempting to lay blame on an innocent staff member in an email to a guest is totally unprofessional. Thirdly, despite requesting that they ring me on Monday, Viking interrupted my vacation a second time essentially to persuade me not to post online. It couldn't have been to help offer to put things right, because the trip was nearly over and the damage had been done!

Monetary recompense is not my objective. I simply wish to give fellow cruisers a taste of my Viking experience. Once again, I stress that whilst the events and occurrences related above are factual truths, my comments thereon can only be my subjective opinions. You must draw your own conclusions from what you read. When I hear Vikings response, I will be happy to share it with you here.

Archived