Seattle Hotel then train to Vancouver ?

Hi -

We would like to fly into Seattle, spend 1 night in Seattle, then plan on taking the morning Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver, (prior to boarding our cruise-ship in Vancouver.)

What would be the best location to stay in Seattle ?

Near the airport ? or Near the train station ?

Hotel recommendations ?

Best to just take taxis to hotel/train station ?

THANKS !!

On our last trip to Seattle my wife and I stayed at the Best Western Plus in Pioneer Square. Not a 4 star hotel but more than nice enough for a night. It is a very short cab ride to Seattle's beautiful King Street station.

it would depend on what time you arrive into SeaTac and what time the train departs.

If you arrive in the afternoon, stay downtown, do a little sightseeing, and the train station is only a 5 minute cab ride. If you arrive in the evening, stay at the airport and take a cab to the station ... 20-25 minutes away. Do you arrive early enough to catch the evening train to Vancouver? That would be my first choice.

it would depend on what time you arrive into SeaTac and what time the train departs.

If you arrive in the afternoon, stay downtown, do a little sightseeing, and the train station is only a 5 minute cab ride. If you arrive in the evening, stay at the airport and take a cab to the station ... 20-25 minutes away. Do you arrive early enough to catch the evening train to Vancouver? That would be my first choice.

Some times the train takes a good three hours or more. Depending on rail traffic. Once you get to the train station in Vancouver you can take the sky train to Canada place to get the boat. Quick shuttle has a bus that leaves from Seattle to the cruise hip terminal in Vancouver. Check out the website.

Thank you, I'll Cruise Anywhere, as I have the same situation and was wondering the same thing.

To those from the area, our flight arrives around 1:30 p.m. and I don't believe the evening train to Vancouver leaves until after 7 p.m. If we were to take the evening train rather than spend the night in Seattle, do you know what we could do with our luggage and what we would have time to visit in the layover?

Thanks,

Holly

Thank you, I'll Cruise Anywhere, as I have the same situation and was wondering the same thing.

To those from the area, our flight arrives around 1:30 p.m. and I don't believe the evening train to Vancouver leaves until after 7 p.m. If we were to take the evening train rather than spend the night in Seattle, do you know what we could do with our luggage and what we would have time to visit in the layover?

Thanks,

Holly

Hi Holly:) I am not from Seattle but have cruised from there and

taken the train to Vancouver at least twice......

I don't believe there would be alot you could during that "layover".

First, you have to hope the flight arrives on time....if there are any

delays at all? You would just have to go directly from the airport

to the Train Station. That evening train leaves before 7......the time

on the Amtrak website says 6:50pm. I would suggest being there at

least 30-45 minutes early.

Just curious, is there a reason you want to go that evening? I

love Seattle and try to get a flight that arrives around lunchtime

(since you gain the time going West). Love doing some sightseeing

and getting a good night's sleep.

Hopefully one of the Native's of Seattle can help with "what to do"

for the afternoon;)

The train leaves at 6:50 PM and arrives in Vancouver at 10:50. During cruise season you will have daylight or twilight most of the way, especially through the scenic bits between Seattle and the border.

You can store your bags at the King Street Station before the train. That way, you could spend a few hours wandering around downtown Seattle - visit the Pike Place Market, or go on a ferry ride, whatever.

Hello Lois R. and Gardyloo!

My first choice is actually to spend Saturday night in a downtown hotel and then take the 7:40 a.m. train to Vancouver. Before I lock into that though, I was wondering about the possibility of taking the evening train so that we could sightsee in Vancouver on Sunday morning before boarding the ship. I think that I may feel more comfortable with spending the night in Seattle though. We've never been to either city, so this would give us some additional time in Seattle besides when we stop back as we cruise down the coast to L.A. We wouldn't be able to see Vancouver though, but that's a good excuse to plan a return trip.

Do you know which Marriott/Hilton hotels are near the light rail stops? I was hoping to take advantage of the cheap rail fares and use points for the night's stay. I'm searching the boards here and on TripAdvisor, but if you have a quick answer for me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again!!

Holly:)

Hello Lois R. and Gardyloo!

My first choice is actually to spend Saturday night in a downtown hotel and then take the 7:40 a.m. train to Vancouver. Before I lock into that though, I was wondering about the possibility of taking the evening train so that we could sightsee in Vancouver on Sunday morning before boarding the ship. I think that I may feel more comfortable with spending the night in Seattle though. We've never been to either city, so this would give us some additional time in Seattle besides when we stop back as we cruise down the coast to L.A. We wouldn't be able to see Vancouver though, but that's a good excuse to plan a return trip.

Do you know which Marriott/Hilton hotels are near the light rail stops? I was hoping to take advantage of the cheap rail fares and use points for the night's stay. I'm searching the boards here and on TripAdvisor, but if you have a quick answer for me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again!!

Holly:)

Hi Holly, not sure I understand that last part....you want to know if

there is a Marriott hotel near the Train Station? There is a Renassiance

in downtown Seattle...I stayed there once. It is at the very top of

a hill:eek:.....if you are sightseeing, remember Florida is VERY flat....

Seattle is hilly........

Lots of hotels are in the downtown area:)

you could easily do the evening train. Just come to the station as suggested and store your bags. You can walk over to the Klondike Gold Rush musuem then do the underground tour or walk up to the mkt before leaving for Vancouver. If you stayed downtown then you'd easily have time to take the Monorail to Space Needle and visit the Pike Place Mkt before train to Vanc in AM. Lots of choices but the train is the way to go

Sorry about that confusion...what I meant to say is that I'd like to take the light rail from the airport to a downtown hotel, preferably a Marriott or Hilton chain so that I can use my hotel points. So I'm looking for a hotel that is easy to walk to from a light rail stop.

Sorry about that confusion...what I meant to say is that I'd like to take the light rail from the airport to a downtown hotel, preferably a Marriott or Hilton chain so that I can use my hotel points. So I'm looking for a hotel that is easy to walk to from a light rail stop.

Ohhhh....ok...I have never taken the "light rail" so can't help you

with that...sorry.

Thanks for all the posts, everyone - we are still looking for a hotel in Seattle that would have quick, easy access to the train station - to take the 7:40 Am train to Vancouver. Also wondering, if there is a 24 hour (or almost) café, restaurant near (or in) the hotel - or the train station - so that we could have some breakfast before boarding the train ?

THANKS

Thanks for all the posts' date=' everyone - we are still looking for a hotel in Seattle that would have quick, easy access to the train station - to take the 7:40 Am train to Vancouver. Also wondering, if there is a 24 hour (or almost) café, restaurant near (or in) the hotel - or the train station - so that we could have some breakfast before boarding the train ?

THANKS[/quote']

if you stay downtown the train station is only a couple of minutes away by cab. Even a hotel by the Seattle Center/Space Needle is 6-7 minutes by cab.

We're doing the same thing as you. As the previous poster mentioned, it seems like any downtown hotel is a convenient cab ride to the train station.

I'm also looking for a downtown hotel that is close to a light rail stop. So far I've found the Arctic Club (Hilton) and the Courtyard Marriott, which are both near Pioneer Square.

I'm curious to know which cruise you're on out of Vancouver. Is it the wine country coastal that's in your signature? That's what we're doing, but it's September of this year, not next, and it's on the Star.

I'm also looking for a downtown hotel that is close to a light rail stop. So far I've found the Arctic Club (Hilton) and the Courtyard Marriott, which are both near Pioneer Square.

Those are the closest two. The Arctic Club is only a few steps from the station; the Courtyard is around two blocks (walking) one of which is a fairly steep hill (down.)

I don't know of any 24h breakfast places close to either hotel. There are plenty of coffee places of course, all with muffins and other baked things.

The train does have a "bistro" on board with a few breakfast items.

Our plane arrives quite late on July 18 (11 PM) and we are taking the AM train to Vancouver. I nearly waited too long to book a hotel.

I decided on the Courtyard on Yale near south end of Lake Union, because I wanted to use a FREE night from Marriott Rewards (earned from 2 previous stays this summer at Marriotts). But Marriott's rules for FREE NTs is that it can only be used at a 25,000 points & under hotel, and all other Marriotts downtown are 30,000. (Marriott changed/increased nearly ALL points for hotels about May 15!!)

So I figured that at 6:45 AM, the 2.5 miles from that Courtyard would be faster than the 20 mile ride from a hotel in Sea-Tac area, and that the 20 mile ride at 11 PM or later would be faster than in AM.

Sure hope I am NOT wrong!!!

Glad to read the info on Amtrak Cascades -- thanks for the link.

• 3 weeks later...

Another couple of questions regarding taking the Amtrak train to Vancouver (we will be taking the 7:40 am train).

- How early should we arrive at the King St. station? We will have only carryons and so will not need to check luggage. Will we go through Customs in Seattle or in Vancouver? If Seattle, how long will it take to go through?

- Which side of the train should we sit on for the best / most scenic views along the way to Vancouver?

1. Since you are not checking baggage, in theory you could get to the station with just enough time to walk through the station and get checked in (about 5-10 minutes). If you are on the platform just before the train leaves, you'll get on.

With that said, you obviously care about seats, so you should get there about an hour before so you can get toward the front of the check-in line and stand a better chance of getting seats on the Puget Sound side.

2. Customs and Immigration is done upon arrival in Vancouver, in the Vancouver station.

3. The "best" side of the train is the left side, which faces the water for the long sections of the run along Puget Sound. Seats are assigned when you check-in with the conductor at Seattle, so ask him. You'll line up with everyone else to get checked in (note that this is NOT the ticket counter, you don't even have to stop there. It is a podium in the waiting room).

Archived