Lock strikes announced in Germany

steamboats

Davidrw and most of the Avalon Expression passengers are headed to Nuremberg for 2 nights at a hotel and tour the town along with Bamberg and Wurzburg. Hopefully we will be able to sail for 2 straight days and meet them in either Miltenberg or Rudesheim.

Avalon has handled this situation in a most professional way. Jeanette made these 'emergency' itinerary changes swiftly.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I updated the list right now.. http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/strike-germany-locks-are-blocked

Most ships are stuck at Regensburg, Bamberg (to Würzburg). It seemed as if most locks let them through to the next real dock or port, so that passengers are not stuck in a no mans land. Probably due to safety? But don't classify these as real exceptions, they are not cruising, just docked a few kilometers upstream.

Tomorrow we get PAX from Kitzigen to Nuremberg, so the Main will be blocked for at least another day I assume. And the WSA Trier (operating locks on the Moselle) are going to join the strike.

If someone likes the "at sea" days of ocean cruising, then staying on the boat while it catches up is a nice break from all of the touring. Last year we were on an AMA Budapest to Amesterdam itenerary and were delayed for a day and half at Vilshofen due to a barge grounding (low water) so had to catch up with the itenerary. Most people took the bus tours (we did not have to move to a hotel) but about 17 of us stayed with the ship as it cruised up the river and through the Main-Danube canal. We had a great time just sitting on the top deck (in front of the wheelhouse due to the low bridges) enjoying the scenery and the huge locks on the canal (the first one on the other side of the divide was amazing with how high it was and how much we dropped!). We thought it was one of the better travel days and allowed us to regroup after about 7 days of non-stop tours (and we are certainly not mobility challenged!) and we were refreshed and ready for the remaining 7 days which was nice.

So here is the new status: Canals important for cargo are blocked until this weekend. The Rhine (Iffezheim) was striked against on Monday for a few hours. The Bavarians are striking at this moment on Main and Danube.

The Moselle (and Saar) are going to be affected mainly on Thursday.

In general it is really complicated to keep track: Often regular employees and civil servants (not allowed to strike) work at the same lock. So it might be open for one shift, then closes down again..

Please keep us posted and if you made it by river cruising or had to be bussed

If someone likes the "at sea" days of ocean cruising, then staying on the boat while it catches up is a nice break from all of the touring. Last year we were on an AMA Budapest to Amesterdam itenerary and were delayed for a day and half at Vilshofen due to a barge grounding (low water) so had to catch up with the itenerary. Most people took the bus tours (we did not have to move to a hotel) but about 17 of us stayed with the ship as it cruised up the river and through the Main-Danube canal. We had a great time just sitting on the top deck (in front of the wheelhouse due to the low bridges) enjoying the scenery and the huge locks on the canal (the first one on the other side of the divide was amazing with how high it was and how much we dropped!). We thought it was one of the better travel days and allowed us to regroup after about 7 days of non-stop tours (and we are certainly not mobility challenged!) and we were refreshed and ready for the remaining 7 days which was nice.

I like your attitude!

Basically stuck in Bamburg for the last 2 nights. Scenic is bussing passengers to scheduled, but modified excursions, staying docked in Bamburg one more night. Tomorrow morning it is likely we will be bussed to the Pearl and continue our trip to Amsterdam.

We were told last night that we would be Abe to sail today from Regensberg but I thought I would wait and see before posting. Sure enough we are about to go through our second lock today on our way to Bamberg. No touring today, just a day at sea as we try and move North as much as possible. A relaxing day for us and I suppose they will try and fit in two tours in one day at some point to make up for it. I think they decided that this would be better than another day of a long bus tour. They said not everyone is able to make it through the locks so not sure why Viking was able to. But I'm not complaining!

We were told last night that we would be Abe to sail today from Regensberg but I thought I would wait and see before posting. Sure enough we are about to go through our second lock today on our way to Bamberg. No touring today, just a day at sea as we try and move North as much as possible. A relaxing day for us and I suppose they will try and fit in two tours in one day at some point to make up for it. I think they decided that this would be better than another day of a long bus tour. They said not everyone is able to make it through the locks so not sure why Viking was able to. But I'm not complaining!

We have different departments of the WSV (the organisation on strike) in Bavaria: WSA Aschaffenburg (Main river from Aschaffenburg to Würzburg), WSA Würzburg (Main river Würzburg to Schweinfurt), WSA Schweinfurt (Schweinfurt to Bamberg), WSA Nuremberg (Main Danube Canal) and WSA Regensburg (Danube from Regensburg to Passau). Looks like not every one of them joins the strike.

Btw, someone on my website mentioned a lock at Schweinfurt is damaged and not operational at this moment.

Avalon putting us up in a hotel in Nurenberg has allowed us to minimise coach travel, we are getting one of the optional excursions for free on the way to Wurzburg and hopefully we will get back to our boat on Friday , I do miss the meals.

I note from Marine Traffic that our boat left Regensburg on Thursday morning so it may all work out in the end.

Spend half of this evening watching marinetraffic. Unfortunately, I lost a few ships, and will try to track them tomorrow morning (if they were able to pass several locks). However, I saw some movement on the rivers. Therefore the good news: For the moment I decided to put a lot of river stretches from "red" to "green" on http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/strike-germany-locks-are-blocked (scroll down to the end of the article).

Summary:

- Rhine (Iffezheim lock) seems to be open at this moment.

- Moselle is open (but not Koblenz Lützel, the last lock at the Deutsches Eck confluence). So one can cruise the Moselle, but not transfer to the Rhine (or vice versa)

- Main is still closed from Aschaffenburg to Bamberg

- Danube is open from Regensburg to Passau

- Main Danube Canal is open.

I want to remind you, this might just be due to different work shifts, may change tomorrow. Actually, this is what I suspect, as I have not found any papers published by Ver.di declaring an end to the strike. As usual, I'll keep you informed.

To Davidrw, we are scheduled to pick up the group tomorrow night ... if everything goes as planned!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How far along the Danube Main canal have you got now ? We were told you were making good time and I am sure you are getting better food than the Coach party?

Our friends just emailed us from their Viking River cruise writing that they have been impacted by the strike on three out of six days so far. They have been delayed for hours on their ship today. They wanted us to know what to expect in case we encounter strikes when we go next month.

Our friends just emailed us from their Viking River cruise writing that they have been impacted by the strike on three out of six days so far. They have been delayed for hours on their ship today. They wanted us to know what to expect in case we encounter strikes when we go next month.

Unreal; first the floods; now the strikes.

Which river cruise are your friends doing? Rhine? Danube?

According to local newspapers WSV Regensburg has ended the strike yesterday and all other WSVs in Bavaria are to follow by today. So the strike is over in Bavaria (Main Danube Canal, Danube and Main rivers).

steamboats

Have also been following all of your updates very intently. Glad to hear that

the strike appears to be ending and that your cruises will be moving as scheduled. I will be doing a late September Grand Circle cruise which passes through these areas before ending in Vienna the second week of Oct.

The Avalon Expression has now made it from Regensburg to Sweinfurt which is between Bamberg and Wurzburg.

We will be back on schedule on Saturday and managed all of the excursions without horrible coach trips by staying in a hotel in Nurenberg for 2 nights.

Those that just wanted to relax on board were also well looks after.

It is lovely to be back on board !!

Hopefully everybody else on the water is managing ok.

Glad to hear that the strike appears to be ending and that your cruises will be moving as scheduled.

Don't be too optimistic.. At this moment ships are moving again, but the political issue the strike was about is not solved. I think they might have opened the locks again for tactical reasons: To give the administration time over the weekend to offer a compromise. The locks might get closed down again.

According to a colleague of mine who talked to lock operators at Otterndorf (Bamberg; Main) the workers are going to go on strike again from Tuesday to Thursday every week. So expect Friday to have minor delays (due to the 3 days blockage), while Saturday to Monday everything will go as scheduled. At this moment these are unconfirmed rumors (from a trustworthy source), we will find out on Tuesday.

Archived