Beware of Teenage Girls and Crew Members

Sam5554

Teens do a lot of hooking up and although I do not approve, when one is 14 and the other is an adult, that is STILL statutory rape.

OT but I am surprised that steward did not put on that extra lock. There is a lock you can put on that cards can't open. We use it to not be interrupted by the stewards-lol!

I know it's statutory rape, that's why I disagreed with him. I should point out while I consider him my friend he is an ex-boyfriend of my daughter. At the time this happened he was around 20 and the gf was 19.

As for the lock, I don't know. This happened around 10 years ago so maybe he locks were different.

I'm sure the OP had good intentions in starting this thread. Now that I've read the whole thread, I do feel that he over-reacted to the situation.

I'll probably be flamed for this, but I think the crew member is actually the victim here. Yes, I know the cruise lines have a policy against fraternisation, but to lose his job is, IMHO, too severe a punishment for what he did. Not every person who phone messages and posts on Facebook to people he meets casually is a predator grooming a potential victim. This guy, too, could have been young and almost as trusting as the girl.

In this day and age, exchanging phone messages and posts on Facebook can be quite innocent. That is all the crew member did. He didn't touch the girl, try to kiss her, or do anything physically inappropriate.

Many teenagers are (in my opinion, unwisely) free with the information they give out and it is often difficult to tell how old they are - it is easy for a girl to look several years older than her chronological age. ... ... .

Thank you. My husband and I feel the same way. That if the young man only phoned once, it is too severe a punishment since the girl evidently gave her phone number. My husband agrees with me that we would have told the caller since the daughter is a minor, don't call again. Only if he tried to contact her again would we have escalated it to a formal complaint.

I know it's statutory rape, that's why I disagreed with him. I should point out while I consider him my friend he is an ex-boyfriend of my daughter. At the time this happened he was around 20 and the gf was 19.

As for the lock, I don't know. This happened around 10 years ago so maybe he locks were different.

Carnival Inspiration had them 10 years ago and that was a ship about 5 or 6 years old then. of course for 3 day cruises the ships used are pretty old so that ship may have not been new enough? I can't remember if Carnival Tropicale had them or not. We cruised her back in 98 and she was pretty old when we crusted her. Our daughter was not with us on that cruise so it was not as important. We have used that extra lock when she has cruised with us,lol!

..... No matter how careful you are, there are predators everywhere. Do not be lulled into complacency thinking it couldn't happen to your child.

I am glad to hear that you took matters into your own hands and follow through to the cruise lines by letting them know what happened to your precious daughter.

You probably saved several parents the heartache of having something happen to their children by seeing that this predator removed from this cruise ship.

I am glad to hear that you took matters into your own hands and follow through to the cruise lines by letting them know what happened to your precious daughter.

You probably saved several parents the heartache of having something happen to their children by seeing that this predator removed from this cruise ship.

With all due respect - you don't know this guy was a predator. It could have been as simple as he thought she was older, asked for her number and she gave it to him. There is NO indication he was a predator or even his age. He could have been 18 YO himself for all you know. Two teens talking and flirting. What happened to OPs daughter is that he thought everyone was friendly, stopped being a parent while he was on vacation, let his emotionally young 16 YO daughter to spend her days without supervision and she gave out her personal information for the second time. He knew she was prone to give her information to strangers. That is all the facts we really know. Except that he got two people fired because his daughter gave her personal information to them and they called/texted her once - obviously at her request (or she wouldn't have given her personal info).

With all due respect - you don't know this guy was a predator. It could have been as simple as he thought she was older, asked for her number and she gave it to him. There is NO indication he was a predator or even his age. He could have been 18 YO himself for all you know. Two teens talking and flirting. What happened to OPs daughter is that he thought everyone was friendly, stopped being a parent while he was on vacation, let his emotionally young 16 YO daughter to spend her days without supervision and she gave out her personal information for the second time. He knew she was prone to give her information to strangers. That is all the facts we really know. Except that he got two people fired because his daughter gave her personal information to them and they called/texted her once - obviously at her request (or she wouldn't have given her personal info).

Exactly! I have been sympathetic to the OP's problem with his daughter so far, but I am getting so sick of people assuming that the man is always a "predator" in a situation like this. In fact, the girl was a "repeat offender" and her behaviour has cost the crew member his job.

The problem here was not the crew member, but the behaviour of the teenager, for which the OP needs to find a more effective way of resolution than continuing to blame the man in each instance.

Exactly! I have been sympathetic to the OP's problem with his daughter so far, but I am getting so sick of people assuming that the man is always a "predator" in a situation like this. In fact, the girl was a "repeat offender" and her behaviour has cost the crew member his job.

The problem here was not the crew member, but the behaviour of the teenager, for which the OP needs to find a more effective way of resolution than continuing to blame the man in each instance.

I agree that this girl needs to be taught not to go handing out her Facebook and cell number. In fact, since this has happened before, perhaps it's time for the parents to take away both? Why does she have them if she has proven untrustworthy in the past?

The guy may have been in the wrong, but there were questionable moves made by all parties involved. imho

Archived