Eclipse tendering in St. Thomas

Josie2

Am returning to Eclipse in November to repeat last year's glorious two weeks in the Southern Caribbean (both DH and I were sick as dogs the whole time - didn't make it to one show, had dinner in our room two nights, no excursions, beaches, etc. - this year, we have "free" drink package and will make up for lost time!) LOL.

Last year I remember we had a surprise on arriving in STT and couldn't get into port. After much confusion and delay we anchored off shore and they started a tender service. Captain later told us that the berth could not accommodate the draught of the Eclipse. I notice this year we are scheduled to tender. Does anyone know - can the Eclipse dock anywhere at STT (Havensight or Crown Bay) or are both basins too shallow? I am hoping that at least since we know ahead of time it won't be mass confusion until noon.

I was on that same cruise this past January and we had no trouble docking. There were several ships in port that day. I suspect that if they are tendering it is due to the number of ships docked in St. Thomas that day as well as perhaps Eclipse is arriving later than the others leaving no berth available.

In all the ports we did on the 14 day itinerary there were no tender ports so this must be an unusual circumstance.

Crown Bay, the remote one, has a deeper channel then Havensight, which is why Oasis/Allure dock out in the boonies.

Environmental activists have tied up Havensight dredging plans for years, which would then allow the big girls to dock there.

The old Norway, with a really deep draft, couldn't get into Havensight also and had to anchor all the way out and tender in. A true Ocean liner, stable in rough waters, but not always suited to the Caribbean.

I notice this year we are scheduled to tender. Does anyone know - can the Eclipse dock anywhere at STT (Havensight or Crown Bay) or are both basins too shallow? .

The basins are not too shallow. I don't know where you got that. Whether you tender is related to the number of ships in port. If the port only can accept 3 ships and your ship is #4, guess who tenders?

We have docked on S-class ships without any problems. In fact, we have docked on bigger ships than these.

The basins are not too shallow. I don't know where you got that. Whether you tender is related to the number of ships in port. If the port only can accept 3 ships and your ship is #4, guess who tenders?

We have docked on S-class ships without any problems. In fact, we have docked on bigger ships than these.

I thought they had "reservations" and those were way (like a year) in advance??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Am returning to Eclipse in November to repeat last year's glorious two weeks in the Southern Caribbean (both DH and I were sick as dogs the whole time - didn't make it to one show, had dinner in our room two nights, no excursions, beaches, etc. - this year, we have "free" drink package and will make up for lost time!) LOL.

Last year I remember we had a surprise on arriving in STT and couldn't get into port. After much confusion and delay we anchored off shore and they started a tender service. Captain later told us that the berth could not accommodate the draught of the Eclipse. I notice this year we are scheduled to tender. Does anyone know - can the Eclipse dock anywhere at STT (Havensight or Crown Bay) or are both basins too shallow? I am hoping that at least since we know ahead of time it won't be mass confusion until noon.

In February 2013 the Eclipse docked at both areas in the same day. We docked in Crown Bay in the morning for our day in St Thomas and returned to Haversight in the evening for the medical evacuation of an ill passenger. Both areas are deep enough to accommodate an S class ship.

Hi Josie2 - we where on the same cruise and was informed that evening by letter from the not to happy captain, who was given the wrong information about the draft not being deep enough for us once we had arrived at St Thomas, the tendering took for ever and we did'nt get off the ship until after 13.00. The year before on the Summit we docked at Haversight with no problem so not sure what the issue is with tendering as there are ships as big as the S class that dock with no problem.

Wikipedia states Eclipse has a draft of 27 ft 3 in. The website for the West India Company, owners of the Havensight dock states it "is a 3,300 ft Marginal Protected Wharf with 30-34 ft depth alongside." According to the Virgin Islands Port Authority website, the Crown Bay facility has two docks which can accommodate three cruise ships simultaneously. The main dock has two berths. The south side is 940 ft long and 37 ft deep. This is the one used by Oasis OTS and Allure OTS. The north side is 940 ft long and 28 ft deep. The adjoining dock is 435 ft long and 27 ft deep.

So, to answer the OP, at least one of the 6 available berths at Charlotte Amalie is too shallow for Eclipse. The north side of the main pier at Crown Bay seems like a close call so perhaps some Captains would be reluctant to use it but at least one poster here confirms Eclipse has docked there.

In the Plan a Cruise section of the Celebrity website all the Eclipse Caribbean sailings this coming season show her being tendered in St. Thomas but, in the My Celebrity section, our reservation for the April 05/14 sailing shows she is docked in St. Thomas. Cruise TT shows there will be 4 other ships in port when we are there (Carnival Conquest, Royal Princess, Allure OTS, Norwegian Getaway) so, we think there is a fair chance we will be docked.

To the OP: We don't know which Nov 2013 sailing you are on but, for the Nov 16 sailing, there will be 5 other ships in St. Thomas (Carnival Conquest, Crown Princess, Royal Princess, Norwegian Epic, Allure OTS) and for the Nov 30 sailing, there will be 4 other ships (Carnival Conquest, Royal Princess, Norwegian Epic, Allure OTS). You could also look at what My Celebrity says about your reservation. Anyway, we are sure everyone here will feel your pain if it turns out that you are tendered in St. Thomas instead of being docked!

When I've tendered in the past they drop you downtown rather than a port area.

That is a first choice for us.

April 2013 we docked at Crown Bay.

Thanks for the idea to re'take the S. Carb. ports.

jls

Archived