Cruising out of Ft Lauderdale but flights are cheaper into Miami

time11130

We are lost here.... We have a cruise booked for next May but I have still not figured out our airfare. It seems from Indiana to FLL is $661 per person but into Miami is $399 per person. We are trying to figure out how to do this best so we would appreciate any help you can give us. We can either fly in the day before or the same day of the cruise. I originally preferred to fly in on Friday in case of any crazy delays or anything since our cruise is on Saturday. We are wondering how we would get from Miami to Ft Lauderdale and if we should stay in a hotel in Ft Lauderdale or Miami? I am sure there are some people out there that has done this so we would appreciate any advice you can give us. Thanks!

For sure for that difference in flight cost, take the MIA flights. :D Fly in the day before and then you can actually stay in either city. Personally I'd get to Ft.L on your day of arrival and stay there for the day and night. Rates for hotels near the port will be reasonable in May. There are shuttle companies that can provide you service from the airport. LOTS of threads here re transportation and hotels. Really it is NOT hard to do the transfers, LOTS of cruisers do it and CERTAINLY well worth all the money you are saving.

Thanks! I have been reading lots of people on here that are doing the opposite of what we need to do but I was wondering what I was missing here. I have checked flights for months now and each time flying into Miami is so much cheaper that flying into Ft Lauderdale, my hubby doesn't like all of the transfers but I think saving that much money would be worth it. Thanks for your help!

Renting a car from MIA to FLL should be cheaper than a shared shuttle; American Shuttle is located inside MIA, and I think QLS and a couple of other FLL based shuttles can service MIA.

Unless you arrive into MIA very late I agree with the above suggestion to stay in the FLL area instead of Miami. Good luck! :)

I want to add though that be sure you do not book a flight before Noon or ideally around 1:00 PM.

Keith

This is for the return flight, obviously, as you want a non stressed moring of disembarkation. I'd go for 1:00 at the earliest.

Do you think departing at 1:00 is a good time given the extra time you need to get thru security? We are still trying to figure out if we should just pay the extra and fly into FLL or mess with the hassle of trying to get from Miami to FLL.

Do you think departing at 1:00 is a good time given the extra time you need to get thru security? We are still trying to figure out if we should just pay the extra and fly into FLL or mess with the hassle of trying to get from Miami to FLL.

From PE to MIA is about 45-50+ minutes, depending upon traffic and the day of the week. A 1:00 PM departure should be just fine no matter who you choose for transportation.

Good luck! :)

For the amount that you are saving and the fact that even if you flew into FTL you'd need transportation to the port, the money saved is surely worth the not so great hassle. If it was just a couple hundred total, then I'd go straight to Ft L. But I think you said you'd save over $400. That's a lot of money to be used for other things.:)

Have a great cruise!

We are also looking at the best way to get to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale for the night.

I found a company called Viator who do shared transport but don't want to find we are kept waiting for other clients to arrive. Hence still looking. After a 9 hour flight and 3 hours at the airport before flying we opted to go to a hotel in FLL. for the night.

Hope you find the right flight, think of how you could use your saved money on board though.

Have a good holiday

June

Well we booked our flights into Miami because we feel as though we found a good deal. Less than $650 for the 2 of us out of Indiana. Still trying to figure out the shuttle and hotel stuff, it is all way confusing. Been checking car rental prices as well because if they are low enough that is a great option. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Courtesy of Feds we have a bus from Fll to Miami $2.35 pp. Called Ride 95, I see it on Hwy 95 and Biscayne Blvd. (downtown Miami). Cruise port goes off Biscayne near 6th.Its a new big articulated blue bus. Miami-Dade government transportation has a web site. They used to have an 800# too.Look it up.

We are lost here.... We have a cruise booked for next May but I have still not figured out our airfare. It seems from Indiana to FLL is $661 per person but into Miami is $399 per person. We are trying to figure out how to do this best so we would appreciate any help you can give us. We can either fly in the day before or the same day of the cruise. I originally preferred to fly in on Friday in case of any crazy delays or anything since our cruise is on Saturday. We are wondering how we would get from Miami to Ft Lauderdale and if we should stay in a hotel in Ft Lauderdale or Miami? I am sure there are some people out there that has done this so we would appreciate any advice you can give us. Thanks!

Have you considered flying from Louisville or Nashville to FLL?

Yes we have checked Louisville and Nashville and Owensboro, Indianapolis, St Louis, I think we got a great rate now out of Evansville but like I said it goes to Miami so now my hunt is for figuring out how to get to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale from Miami at the cheapest rate, or at least without breaking us :)

Yes we have checked Louisville and Nashville and Owensboro, Indianapolis, St Louis, I think we got a great rate now out of Evansville but like I said it goes to Miami so now my hunt is for figuring out how to get to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale from Miami at the cheapest rate, or at least without breaking us :)

It's way to early to be booking airfare. Wait another couple of months when Southwest's schedule extends into May, 2014 and start watching the fares. You should easily get nonstop flights from Nashville to FLL for less than $300 per person roundtrip.

• 2 months later...

Hello! We are from Indy & also have a cruise booked May 2014. I have also found airfare is way cheaper to fly into Miami.. On Delta now I could book for $ 243.00 a piece..but not direct.. It seems like a good deal.. But I was hoping to find a direct flight & not sure I want the headache of not flying into FLL. But the cost is swaying me.. I have seen American Shuttle mentioned from Miami to hotels in Ft Lauderdale. Have you been able to find out anymore information?

Anyone familiar with any direct flights? Southwest is still not out yet..

A great rate out of Evansville, IN??!! We live within 20 minutes of EVV, and can never find a good rate for our cruise. We always drive to Nashville TN or Louisville KY.

Archived