bringing food on board

Incorrect. Depends on the port even in the US. Miami made me dump my lunch before allowing me through security. I was checking in at the Miami terminal boarding the Norwegian Sky.

Regarding food in factory sealed packaging such as granola bars, snacks, etc. I've haven't had a problem bringing that on board.

Don't know what the law and NCL policy is but what you are allowed to do versus what you able to get away with are two different things.

When departing the ship, even when the embarkation port and next port is in the US, you still can't bring food that is not in factory sealed packaging off the ship. e.g. New York to Port Canaveral, FL. The policy has become stricter in the past couple of years.

Can you bring food on board if when purchased only has a ziplock? If not, can you use a sealer and seal it yourself?

You can bring food on. I have brought homemade items on that were wrapped in nothing more than saran wrap, and we have never had a problem.

Incorrect. Depends on the port even in the US. Miami made me dump my lunch before allowing me through security.

Regarding food in factory sealed packaging such as granola bars, snacks, etc. I've haven't had a problem bringing that on board.

Don't know what the law and NCL policy is but what you are allowed to do and able to get away with are two different things.

I've never had a problem in Miami, FLL, or Tampa bringing food on board.

Well they didn't like me, my chicken nuggets, or inexperienced port employee. Either way it happened. I hate wasting food but wasn't going to waste even a breath over the issue.

Going from NY into Port Canaveral as first stop, they made me dump my smuggled cookies.

bringing food like that on board just increases the chance of bacterial contamination ... to others and the ship areas. If you do manage to get it on board, please don't take it to food service areas and eat it. Don't be upset if NCL staff or port security takes things like that...just know that it can happen.

Well they didn't like me, my chicken nuggets, or inexperienced port employee. Either way it happened. I hate wasting food but wasn't going to waste even a breath over the issue.

Going from NY into Port Canaveral as first stop, they made me dump my smuggled cookies.

Oh geez LOL Maybe they were hungry ;)

They confiscated my awesome cake last year--of course, it was very obvious that I was carrying an awesome cake in the box of a highly-regarded local bakery in Miami, so who knows...:rolleyes: But I've brought plenty of other stuff aboard with no problem. I think it was all in its original packaging, if that's relevant...

They confiscated my awesome cake last year--of course, it was very obvious that I was carrying an awesome cake in the box of a highly-regarded local bakery in Miami, so who knows...:rolleyes: But I've brought plenty of other stuff aboard with no problem. I think it was all in its original packaging, if that's relevant...

Oh geez LOL Maybe they were hungry ;)

OMG I think you're on to something SissasMomE. Conspiracy! :eek: Sea Monster that's terrible!

OMG I think you're on to something SissasMomE. Conspiracy! :eek: Sea Monster that's terrible!

Yeah, I was bummed. I made a point of bringing a good dessert because one of my very few complaints about NCL is that their desserts are generally just not that good, and since vacation is one of the few times that I really allow myself to indulge, I want to enjoy! :p They foiled my plan!!! :eek::eek::D

I've sailed out of Miami twice...

The first time (2009) we had popcorn in ziplocks and asked to dump it....

The second time (2012) there was a pretty big yelling match between cruisers and security outside the terminal. They were telling people they had to toss all their food that wasn't factory sealed or forget entering the cruise terminal!! :eek: It got quite ugly!! The passengers we accusing the port employees of just being hungry and wanting their food!!

Definitely a conspiracy!!

I've sailed out of Miami twice...

The first time (2009) we had popcorn in ziplocks and asked to dump it....

The second time (2012) there was a pretty big yelling match between cruisers and security outside the terminal. They were telling people they had to toss all their food that wasn't factory sealed or forget entering the cruise terminal!! :eek: It got quite ugly!!

Wow!! Maybe I just got lucky bringing on our homemade easter cakes. I've done it every year (except this year) .... though I didn't exactly carry it in my hand. It's always in my carry on ... maybe that's why?

Yeah, I was bummed. I made a point of bringing a good dessert because one of my very few complaints about NCL is that their desserts are generally just not that good, and since vacation is one of the few times that I really allow myself to indulge, I want to enjoy! :p They foiled my plan!!! :eek::eek::D

I betcha anything they ate it LOL They definitely ate Kyle's mcnuggets LOL

Interesting thread and just made me remember...We sailed the Sun out of Miami this past February. My parents had a bag check after security and they took her pretzels and nuts in a zip lock as they said they were not "factory sealed" or some strange reason.

It was also the first time my husband and I were called to a bag check after security where they opened our bottled water sealed package and shook every bottle before putting it back.

Must have been a rather nasty crew working that day as we never had that in over 20 cruises with NCL.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow!! Maybe I just got lucky bringing on our homemade easter cakes. I've done it every year (except this year) .... though I didn't exactly carry it in my hand. It's always in my carry on ... maybe that's why?

My popcorn was in my carryon! Kylenyc is right!!! It is a conspiracy!! I'm just glad your cakes got through.... Well....maybe a bit jealous, too!!!:(

Just returned from Alaska (Pearl). At each port, they announced that no food could be brought on or off the ship. However, in Juneau, we bought some take-out crab legs and walked on with them in a backpack. We ate them in our room without a problem (even went thru x-ray). We may have just gotten lucky, and were prepared to eat them on the gangway if needed, LOL. (Too close to departure to eat at the restaurant)

Interesting thread and just made me remember...We sailed the Sun out of Miami this past February. My parents had a bag check after security and they took her pretzels and nuts in a zip lock as they said they were not "factory sealed" or some strange reason.

It was also the first time my husband and I were called to a bag check after security where they opened our bottled water sealed package and shook every bottle before putting it back.

Must have been a rather nasty crew working that day as we never had that in over 20 cruises with NCL.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm guessing Miami has a lot of problems due to the short cruises. They probably don't want Maryjane brownies, etc. coming on, so it is easiest to just strictly enforce the no unsealed packages policy that is already in place.

Our first cruise on the Sky was the only time we had water bottles checked, but they looked at the seal and the consistency of the water in every one of them, and then put them back in our bag and thanked us for our patience. My teenage son was pretty nervous watching them go through the bag so carefully even though it was just water.

The rule is based on USPH requirements. Generally, any ready-to-eat food (doesn't require cooking) that is in a factory sealed package is allowed. Generally, anything not in a sealed container will not be allowed. However, how observant or efficient the screeners are will determine if you get homemade items onboard.

So this has me thinking, in the EU can we bring and take things off? I know when driving from country to country we have never been asked of food. But I do remember in Alaska them saying no food was allowed.

If the ship is permanently home ported in Europe, they probably don't adhere to USPH, unlike ships that are there for a season and then back to the US for a season, where they will generally maintain USPH standards so there is no problem going back to the US. I can't tell what the EU rules are, so maybe someone who has cruised in Europe can answer.

I probably would have "confiscated" that cake as well. :p

I've never tried to hide any food I've brought on... usually just almonds or candy, though. It's never been taken or remarked on. It does look like packaged food is a safer choice.

Archived