anybody have experience using "interline" fares

triple7tahoe

Working for an airline or having a family member that does gives us the opportunity to use interline fares. Some of the fares are quite reasonable. MY question' What do you give up when you use these fares? would still get credit for days travelled; How about the various forms of OBC such as military, stockholder, FCC. Also do you lose the other benefits of being Elite such as free laundry, internet and minibar/

I figure that with the wide experience base that is here on CC somebody will have some experience. Thanks in advance

I am a retired flight attendant and have used interline rates many times. I am also an elite passenger with Princess. The interline rates are great; however, you do not get any elite benefits, shipboard credit, laundry, etc. in fact, you get a "blue"card when you check in on embarkation day. The only thing you get is the accumulation of your cruise days. In fact, you have to check your cruise history afterward to make sure it's posted. Imhavebhad to contact Captain Circle a couple times to add my cruise days. Otherwise, I enjoy the savings.

I have found that the interline rate is NOT that good after you find out all the other benefits you loose. Take your cruise rate from Princess then from the interline an take off all the OBC that they will not give you an I think you will be surprised that there is not a very good savings.

Lately I have used TA just to get more OB credit.

GOOD LUCK

I cruise interline all the time. All I give up is OBC, military credit and stockholder credit. I compare pricing and see what gives me the best deal. My last Alaska cruise was booked onboard and I also put down my $100 deposit for a future cruise. You just need to do your homework to see what works best for you.

I am a retired flight attendant and have used interline rates many times. I am also an elite passenger with Princess. The interline rates are great; however' date=' you do not get any elite benefits, shipboard credit, laundry, etc. in fact, you get a "blue"card when you check in on embarkation day. The only thing you get is the accumulation of your cruise days. In fact, you have to check your cruise history afterward to make sure it's posted. Imhavebhad to contact Captain Circle a couple times to add my cruise days. Otherwise, I enjoy the savings.[/quote']

This post is incorrect.

The interline rates are great; however' date=' you do not get any elite benefits, shipboard credit, laundry, etc. in fact, you get a "blue"card when you check in on embarkation day.[/quote']

Wow, I'm surprised at how restrictive interline rates are on Princess. I'm an airline pilot and I've taken advantage of these rates for years (mostly on Carnival). On them, you don't give up any benefits. You maintain all the benefits that you're entitled to (I'm currently Platinum on them, so it would really suck if I had to sacrifice my benefits for a lower rate).

Carnival's interline rates are very competitive (usually a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the regular rate), plus you can book them directly through Carnival. No need to go through an interline agency or pay additional booking fees. :D

Edited by Tapi

I have used interlink prices on a few cruises and have found prices to be very competitive. I have recently booked one on Princess at a price I am really happy with. I've only been on one Princess cruise before.

As others have said, compare the price with benefits lost. Check with individual cruise lines as to what their policies are with regard to benefits.

We've also booked non interlink fares as interlink fares are not available on all cruises.

As we get the cheap airfares we have found some amazing last minute interlink prices so if you can book last minute and don't need to go on one specific cruise there are some amazing deals.

I get very frustrated when I see some of the prices in the norther hemisphere. Damn Australia for being so far from everything.

I saw a $3,500 cruise for $299 last month. Admittedly it left 2 weeks later.

I'm taking long service next year and as soon as I see a deal I like I'm on a plane. :D:D

I do interline often.

What you should know about interline, is that if the ship is oversold, you will be the first to get bumped, unless you are a Travel Agent. It happens to agents sometimes too, but rarely, because the line wants you to sell them in the future. For Travel Agents, interline can be something like a

familiarization trip.

Airline interline rates are a benefit, but depending on the line it may not be worth it for you. I would not suggest using interline on an important cruise, only a short local one.

I would have also thought interline rates were the same as other discounted rates, which are discussed openly. Plus, just from reading the above responses, it doesn't sound like there are many interline "benefits" at all other than the discounted rate.

I do interline often.

What you should know about interline, is that if the ship is oversold, you will be the first to get bumped, unless you are a Travel Agent. It happens to agents sometimes too, but rarely, because the line wants you to sell them in the future. For Travel Agents, interline can be something like a

familiarization trip.

Airline interline rates are a benefit, but depending on the line it may not be worth it for you. I would not suggest using interline on an important cruise, only a short local one.

How do interline fares compare to travel agent fares?

How do interline fares compare to travel agent fares?

What I am seeing is some much lower fares on less desirable cabins i.e. inside, while the TA fares seem to be as good on more popular choices. I certainly have gotten a wide variety of answers. I know that my wife would hate to give up her "black card' and free internet.:D We may have to look for a short cruise to find out for ourselves;)

What I am seeing is some much lower fares on less desirable cabins i.e. inside, while the TA fares seem to be as good on more popular choices. I certainly have gotten a wide variety of answers. I know that my wife would hate to give up her "black card' and free internet.:D We may have to look for a short cruise to find out for ourselves;)

If you book via a interline agent you still get all captain circle benefits, interline is not a TA rate

• 1 month later...

I am currently booked with interline rates for a 15 day to Hawaii. The price was signifcantly less. I am a Platinum member. When checking in later online I was not upgraded on my insurance to platinum and when I called Princess, I was told I forfeit the upgrade, OBC and internet minutes. I was upset at first but I have saved over $1200, so I'm still ahead of the game. I also did book with an interline agency. So, I guess I'll find out in a few weeks which is correct.

So much conflicting information...

Here's the scoop:

Passengers booking through an interline agency are eligible for all Captain's Circle onboard benefits except the OBC awarded to folks who have traveled over 20 cruises. They are not eligible for the automatic Platinum vacation protection upgrade. They also cannot use FCC's to book the cruise.

So much conflicting information...

Here's the scoop:

Passengers booking through an interline agency are eligible for all Captain's Circle onboard benefits except the OBC awarded to folks who have traveled over 20 cruises. They are not eligible for the automatic Platinum vacation protection upgrade. They also cannot use FCC's to book the cruise.

That hardly seems fair since Princess's own "friends and family" fares do not get any of the perks like Internet plus they get a blue card no matter what level they've earned. The only positive is slightly lower fares and that the actual days cruised do count towards earning a higher level.

That hardly seems fair since Princess's own "friends and family" fares do not get any of the perks like Internet plus they get a blue card no matter what level they've earned. The only positive is slightly lower fares and that the actual days cruised do count towards earning a higher level.

Maybe so, but I would think that the friends and family rates would be better than interline rates (but I could be wrong...:p)

Maybe so, but I would think that the friends and family rates would be better than interline rates (but I could be wrong...:p)

I have helped my friend who has the friends and family rate book a number of cruises (we sail together) and sometimes the rates are not that much lower than you can get through a TA with their discount. Also, most of the time they don't get invited to the past passenger party. Now that they have enough days for platinum, they intend to stop booking through friends and family.

From my own experience, I once booked a friends and family rate. A little while later, my daughter who was working for Princess at the time, changed our cruise to a past passenger sale rate because it was cheaper!

Obviously, there could be different scenarios but these are what I have personal experience with.

Friends and family travel almost for free, a lot jusy pay taxes only

I believe that is an employee rate that you are referring to. The employee has to be one of the people in the cabin and it needs to be pre-approved and is subject to cancellation if Princess decides they need the cabin. "Friends and Family" rate is available to immediate family members and a limited number of "friends" as designated by the employee with family members getting better pricing.

Sailing on a interline rate is no different to a regular booking, once on board you will receive the exact same benefits etc, if you sre entitled to the most sailed passenger party you will be. All is the same.

In that case, the interline rate is better than "Friends and Family".

I believe that is an employee rate that you are referring to. The employee has to be one of the people in the cabin and it needs to be pre-approved and is subject to cancellation if Princess decides they need the cabin. "Friends and Family" rate is available to immediate family members and a limited number of "friends" as designated by the employee with family members getting better pricing.

It has been a number of years since we travelled under the "friends and family" rate but at that time a balcony cabin cost $100 per person per day and the mini-suites were $125 regardless of cruise length or destination. You did not get a choice of cabin location or any benefits or perks of captains circle and you had a blue card (no gold or platinum or elite). We decided it was not worth it for us to lose the benefits and obc. Also if you had any issues with crew or services you were strongly discouraged from making comments or complaints.