Tubing at over 300 lbs...

Izzybeff

I was just wondering if anyone has gone tubing and been overweight. I don't mean just a little overweight, I'm specifically looking for anyone over 300 lbs that might have gone and your review of it.

Were you able to do the walk into the tubing area, did your butt drag the ground, etc. etc.

I would really appreciate any information. I am cruising with a group of friends and this is the only excursion I don't know if i'm going to be able to do because of my weight.

I used to weigh 365 pounds. I have lost a lot of weight, but I am still a bit heavy. Anyway, the biggest issue you may have is with the life jacket. You have to wear one. We arrived after several tour buses (we took a private tour) and they were pretty picked over. If I had been more endowed up top, I couldn't have worn it. I should say the last time I was there was 10/12 everyone had to wear one. Also, there is approximately one mile walk to the launch point. It could be less. It is hard to gauge. The tubes are large. The first time I went, you could paddle about on your own; however, now the guides pull you along, and keep everyone pretty close together. If you can sit in a regular sized tire tube, you should be ok. Keep your butt up in the shallow area, or you will come home with some free stones!

I was just wondering if anyone has gone tubing and been overweight. I don't mean just a little overweight, I'm specifically looking for anyone over 300 lbs that might have gone and your review of it.

Were you able to do the walk into the tubing area, did your butt drag the ground, etc. etc.

I would really appreciate any information. I am cruising with a group of friends and this is the only excursion I don't know if i'm going to be able to do because of my weight.

My DH is 6'5" and 280. We did the cave tubing and everyone's butt hit bottom on occasion. The water was low in spots when we were there. He had no problem with the zip line either. So, have a great time.

I'm down over 100 pounds since then, but I went cave tubing at about 6'2" 385Lbs. TLDR version: I didn't have any significant problems.

Here's a few more detailed thoughts.

The walk to the entry point isn't too long (less than a mile I think and I believe we went to one of the farther entry points as I didn't see the trail continuing nor any other tubers coming down river to us, other tours were definitely starting down stream from where we put in). It does have some uneven ground and small hills and steps but no serious climbs. The footing however can be tough with loose river rock/cobble base for much of the walk. I had no issues, but my MIL with a bum ankle had a bit of a tough time with it.

The tour operator we used (VIV I think?, something like that) actually took the tubes most of the way for us so we only needed to carry them a couple hundred yards. This was nice as I imagine I'd have been lugging 3 tubes for our party if that was not the case. Again, this may lower the exertion level if you think you're borderline on the physical capability scale.

Also, while it sounds somewhat laughable at that weight, I wasn't in terrible shape (30+ mile bike rides, and 7+ mile walks had been part of my routine for some time). It can be hot and humid (though there's a good amount of shade) and I did see several folks huffing and puffing a bit.

I had almost 6" of extra life jacket strap length left but that could varry depending on operator and luck of the draw for what size jackets are provided.

Getting into the tube looked like it may be an issue as we approach the put-in spot as there was a platform/dock and most folks basically had to lean/drop in backwards. However, several of the bigger guys (think muscles, not just overweight folks like me) used a different approach where you basically put one foot on a rock wall next to the platform and just sat down with a hand from the worker. It was a piece of cake.

There were shallow areas where everyone (even my 60Lb. son) needed to do the "butts-up" deal, but I never hung up on rocks or anything.

Some (most now?) tour operators have nicer tubes with a mesh bottom and back rest, these may be preferable/more comfortable when overweight.

Edited by John1928

We had a couple of large people who were not physically able to paddle their way down the river. One bottomed out in shallow water and couldn't get out of her tube. She panicked and raised a big stir. Then a man didn't have the strenght to paddle the last half of the tour. Two guides who wouldn't weight 110# each had to pull him down the river. I don't think he even tipped them.

Edited by clackey

We had a couple of large people who were not physically able to paddle their way down the river. One bottomed out in shallow water and couldn't get out of her tube. She panicked and raised a big stir. Then a man didn't have the strenght to paddle the last half of the tour. Two guides who wouldn't weight 110# each had to pull him down the river. I don't think he even tipped them.

Again, it may be operator or water condition specific, but when we went I didn't see anyone from any company allowed to paddle themselves. Everyone was in connected rafts of 6-8 people (some tethered, some interlinked arms/feet). The guides then alternated between walking and pulling (shallow areas), paddling with their arms and pulling (deep areas) and coasting (faster flowing areas).

Were you there before the cruise passenger fatality a few years ago? Perhaps that's when it changed?

John,

It was 7 or 8 years ago so it probably was before. Back then you paddled on your on. The woman who panicked was not even with our group. The tour that she was with was 100 yards ahead of us.

Edited by clackey

John,

It was 7 or 8 years ago so it probably was before. Back then you paddled on your on. The woman who panicked was not even with our group. The tour that she was with was 100 yards ahead of us.

We were there in March 2011 and everyones tubes were tied together. The only problem we had was one of our guys' tube was punctured by a branch and they just threw him another tube to put on top of the deflated one. It worked just fine.

My DH weighs over 350 and we did cave tubing ~6 years ago. He didn't have any trouble with the walk or with his butt dragging. He did say that he was a little uncomfortable lifting his neck the whole time, but that might be because he is pretty tall. I was pregnant when we did the cave tubing (doctor approved) and didn't have any trouble. I probably weighed 260 at the time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks this helps a lot! Which cruise are you on? When are you leaving! I would like to meet some fellow plus size women going in cruises and the excursions they are doing?! Hopefully it would help any of us with body issues feel a little more comfortable!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks this helps a lot! Which cruise are you on? When are you leaving! I would like to meet some fellow plus size women going in cruises and the excursions they are doing?! Hopefully it would help any of us with body issues feel a little more comfortable!

We are doing an NCL cruise out of Tampa in February. I've not had a problem with any other excursions I've done on previous cruises, but I wasn't sure about this one.

I went July 2013 for cave tubing and zip lining at 345# @ 6' tall. I had a fantastic time. Yes, the zip lining is a great deal of work (the climb up the mountain, not the ride). The hike is easy but slippery when wet! If I had it to do over, I would have opted for the longer tubing excursion, since the tour operators deliver you to the drop off site and pick up after. Good news is I am now 292. Lots of work, but worth it.

I went July 2013 for cave tubing and zip lining at 345# @ 6' tall. I had a fantastic time. Yes, the zip lining is a great deal of work (the climb up the mountain, not the ride). The hike is easy but slippery when wet! If I had it to do over, I would have opted for the longer tubing excursion, since the tour operators deliver you to the drop off site and pick up after. Good news is I am now 292. Lots of work, but worth it.

Which one drops you off at the site? I would have definitely paid more not to have to walk a mile through the jungle. And CONGRATS on your new you!

All right heres the deal. I am over 300. The walk was not bad at all I rather enjoyed it. As for the tube. I don't know how this happened but it did, First entry I hit the tube and the tube went out from under neath me. I couldn't sit butt down I ended up lying on my stomach. It wasn't the most comfortable but I made the best out of a bad situation and still had a good time none the less. But it was an issue.

• 5 months later...

Glad I stumbled on this thread, we are debating what to do in Belize. Hubby is 6'2" 370 and a little concerned about tubing. Kinda funny when our group did Dunn river falls Jamaica I think, he was the only one who made it fully up the falls climbing without dropping out or getting hurt. He also was the first to jump off the cliff into clear blue hole. I keep forgetting that he is a big guy. Patty

Glad I stumbled on this thread, we are debating what to do in Belize. Hubby is 6'2" 370 and a little concerned about tubing. Kinda funny when our group did Dunn river falls Jamaica I think, he was the only one who made it fully up the falls climbing without dropping out or getting hurt. He also was the first to jump off the cliff into clear blue hole. I keep forgetting that he is a big guy. Patty

If he can climb Dunn's river, than cave tubing will be a cake walk. As far as butts dragging, a lot more of that has to do with the water level.

If he can climb Dunn's river, than cave tubing will be a cake walk. As far as butts dragging, a lot more of that has to do with the water level.

I agree with you, it has more to do with the water level. A friend of mine (over 300 lbs) only remark was he felt violated :eek:.

Did anyone do cave tub job through liberty if the seas on royal Caribbean? I am worried. Read tons of reviews but unfortunately the excursions book through ship don't tell u who the excursion is with! I am overweight And worried about getting in the tube... Also one excursion mentions tiny passage but no weight limit on the restrictions.. What does tiny passage really mean. Any thoughts....