Police/ Firefighter Discount

Does any one know how much a typical discount is and if there are particular cruises or times they offer this discount. Haven't seen it on any cruises, so just wondering if I should keep looking.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

You just have to keep checking. I usually check once a week or so to see if I can catch one on a cruise we have booked. It's only happened once but it was a difference of $600.

Sherri:)

There doesn't really seem to be a rhyme or reason to how or when they apply them (ok, I'm sure they have some formula they follow, I just can't figure it out). For example, on July 20, a FF/PO discount showed up on the Allure cruise I was watching for the oceanview balconies, at a really excellent price. Then it was gone on July 24, but available on boardwalk and park view balconies. Then today it was gone for those, but available again for the D1 and D2's, although at a higher rate than the July 20th rate. So don't ask me :rolleyes:.

But $50-100/person discount is about average from what I can tell. Every so often, I'll find a bigger one than that.

What I find it easiest to do is pick out a few cruises I'm interested in, over one week or a period of weeks. Then sign up to track the prices for whatever cabin categories I'd be willing to stay in. Then the tracker will notify you if the price changes, or if a police/firefighter discount becomes available. On the site I use, you can totally customize what you track and what your notifications are. And it is only $1/cruise. It is not a travel agent site, but I'm still not sure if I can mention the name here, so I won't. But google finds everything.

Does any one know how much a typical discount is and if there are particular cruises or times they offer this discount. Haven't seen it on any cruises, so just wondering if I should keep looking.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

If you go to the Royal Caribbean home page,

then "Search for a cruise" from the top bar

then "Advanced Search"

If you only check the discount you are interested in, ie, Police and Firefighter...

It will bring up all the cruises, for which the discount is currently available (usually certain categories)

a check today, indicates there are 28 cruises offering the discount.

Edited by Coralc

I only ever tried to apply the discount once and the savings was minimal for that particular booking. My savings through my agent and C&A was significantly more than what RCI offered on their site for the police/fire discount. I asked my TA to try to apply the discount but I was told it can only be applied via RCI's site??????

I only ever tried to apply the discount once and the savings was minimal for that particular booking. My savings through my agent and C&A was significantly more than what RCI offered on their site for the police/fire discount. I asked my TA to try to apply the discount but I was told it can only be applied via RCI's site??????

That's not true. Sounds like some sort of misunderstanding.

I used this discount in 2010 for a JS on Navigator and saved at least $350pp, the savings was quite significant. Keep in mind it was at the turn of the new year when weather is cooler / off peak season.

Normally when I check I rarely see these discounts unless there are 1 or 2 available for odd sailings. It's nice when it's there, but rarely available.

THis is not true. I just booked through a TA this past Monday and got a police and fire discount, plus a C&A savings certificate applied, plus all the TA perks (about $400 worth).

That's not true. Sounds like some sort of misunderstanding.

Hmmmmm? I will definitely inquire on my next booking then. I am sure my TA would not try to pull a fast one, maybe that particular booking would not allow the police discount because of other savings and discounts that were already applied.

Even if I only save $20, that is $20 more in my pocket.

• 3 weeks later...
If you go to the Royal Caribbean home page,

then "Search for a cruise" from the top bar

then "Advanced Search"

If you only check the discount you are interested in, ie, Police and Firefighter...

It will bring up all the cruises, for which the discount is currently available (usually certain categories)

a check today, indicates there are 28 cruises offering the discount.

Thank you!!! I was wondering if there was an easy way to do this!

This particular discount seems to be very random and it's not easy to find sailings that have it.

There are 27 sailings offered with the discount available today.

So it's easy to find it....it is just difficult to find it available for your cruise and category. :D;):D

Edited by Coralc

There are 27 sailings offered with the discount available today.

So it's easy to find it....it is just difficult to find it available for your cruise and category. :D;):D

That's pretty much what I meant. I have only been able to use it one time so far.

That's pretty much what I meant. I have only been able to use it one time so far.

We were able to use it once, because I check all the eligible boxes on an (already booked) mock booking...so it might have been for either police or California residency. :D

For those of you who have recd the discount, was it a desirable cabin, time of year etc? Or is it more of "we're going on this cruise because of the discount"..

And does the discount come and go? For instance: if I look up a cruise today which does not have the discount, and I look the exact cruise up again in a few months might it then have a discount??

I appreciate any insight.. Thanks!

Edited by Blue Line

We have never booked a cruise specifically because a residency/senior/military/police discount was available. The discounts do come and go. On some (most) cruises they might not become available at all.

Discounts are something we check for after we have already booked a cruise. So we already have our stateroom, it is just possible that we might be able to save a little additional money on it. :)

EDIT: Or if a special discount is available on a higher category stateroom, we might be able to upgrade for less money.

Edited by Coralc

We have never booked a cruise specifically because a residency/senior/military/police discount was available. The discounts do come and go. On some (most) cruises they might not become available at all.

Discounts are something we check for after we have already booked a cruise. So we already have our stateroom, it is just possible that we might be able to save a little additional money on it. :)

Thanks for the good advice! When I first set up our reservation last year I assumed that if you check the box, you get the discount... Then reality hit.

For those of you who have recd the discount, was it a desirable cabin, time of year etc? Or is it more of "we're going on this cruise because of the discount"..

And does the discount come and go? For instance: if I look up a cruise today which does not have the discount, and I look the exact cruise up again in a few months might it then have a discount??

I can say the one time I used it, I don't recall how long it lasted online, however it was an amazing deal. It gave me a Junior Suite, on the hump, for a 6 night cruise for just $699pp. That is precisely what made me book that specific date/cruise.

See my post #6 above regarding the discount coming and going. I'm tracking rates on my currently booked cruise in three different room categories (oceanview, balcony, suite), and the police and fire rate comes and goes within the subcategories seemingly at random.

The discount by itself hasn't ever been big enough to make it a reason to book a cruise - but it has tipped the scales towards one cruise being a bit more affordable than another one.

And just like other discounts, it seems that you find better ones during the less popular times to cruise. We are saving about 5% off the cost of our W. Caribbean Allure trip the week before Thanksgiving week. So not huge...but it is the equivalent of a C&A balcony discount.

I can say the one time I used it, I don't recall how long it lasted online, however it was an amazing deal. It gave me a Junior Suite, on the hump, for a 6 night cruise for just $699pp. That is precisely what made me book that specific date/cruise.

Wow!! I would sign up for that in a heartbeat!!! Thanks for the insight

See my post #6 above regarding the discount coming and going. I'm tracking rates on my currently booked cruise in three different room categories (oceanview, balcony, suite), and the police and fire rate comes and goes within the subcategories seemingly at random.

The discount by itself hasn't ever been big enough to make it a reason to book a cruise - but it has tipped the scales towards one cruise being a bit more affordable than another one.

And just like other discounts, it seems that you find better ones during the less popular times to cruise. We are saving about 5% off the cost of our W. Caribbean Allure trip the week before Thanksgiving week. So not huge...but it is the equivalent of a C&A balcony discount.

Thank you! I am going to try to find that tracker you spoke of. Thanks again