Best Shopping - St. Mart or St. Thom????

jim f

We definitely do a lot more shopping in St. Martin. There are tons of shops and they all don't seem to sell the same thing as in St. Thomas. Liquor is cheaper too, along with better bargains in our favorite jewlry store! ;)

We purchased a pair of Motorola walkie-talkies at a "famous princess approved shop" in St. Thomas. Got home and found same thing but 1/4% cheaper price at Costco.

We do purchase liquor in St. Thomas or on board ship.

Also have learned not to purchase jewelry anywhere but home.

I've found that the prices are better on St. Maarten, but as one poster said, shop around at home first for what you might want. Do your homework so that you are familiar with what you could buy for your money, and price some things out at home. If you've done your research and know you've got a good deal on something, bargain! Know what price you're willing to pay and be prepared to walk away. That's your best bargaining chip and almost always, they'll find another discount for you.

One thing to keep in mind when debating St. Thomas vs. St. Maarten is the customs allowance. I'm unsure of the exact numbers U.S. customs is currently using, but you are allowed something like an extra $700 duty free for items purchased in St. Thomas because it is a U.S. territory. (i.e. something you pay $1400 for in St. Thomas is 100% duty free, vs. duty owed on $700 of the value if purchased in St. Maarten.) Remember the limit of duty free is on total items purchased, not per item.

Just something to keep in mind.

Can't say but did find some of the cruise recommended shops in St. Thomas to be more expensive. I bought a men's gold ring, 14K. I bought on weight and design. The recommended stores did not want to give me a weight and their prices seemed considerably higher. Sized in 45 miniutes.

You will have no issue with the watch as you can compare prices acurately but be VERY careful with the diamond. Unless you are very well educated in the trade, your chances of paying higher that home are VERY good. The appraisal certificate is MEANINGLESS. Just a piece of paper. As I recall, one of the largest department stores in America was fined for selling diamonds at half price...based on a highly questionable appraisal certificate. Certificates are often done for insurance purposes and routinely come in at 2X actual value. Don't be misled. The way to go is to buy a stone, on it's own, from a reputable dealer and then get a setting.

Jim F:

I have been doing business for years in St Thomas at Grand Jewelers. I have bought a lot of diamond jewelry from them and have always been very satisfied!

Ask for Lena or Nevin they are the owners. If you go tell them Nancy from Chicago sent you. They are very honest and easy to deal with

Have a great trip

Nancy

Iancal, any suggestions on the best place for the watch?

Thanks Nancy for the recommendation and I will be sure to mention your name.

This is what I am exactly looking for.

Recommendations and/or referrals.

Jim

For nic-nacky stuff and T-shirts try PAARAS on St Thomas. They had the color change t-shirts for $5 as opposed to the $20 at the "approved" store. Same good quality Big Beefy t's. They had some silver jewelry cheap also. They are located in Drake's Passage (an alley) near the end. Last year we looked all over St Thomas for the best prices on booze because we weren't stopping in St. Maarten and found the best prices right next to the ship. Forgot the name of it but might be able to find their flyer.

If you want jewelry, go to Joe's in St. Maarten. Their prices are probably the best we have found in the carribean. Whenever we purchase something from there I usually bring it to my jeweler at home to have it appraised and find out we got a good bargain from there.

Archived