Should I be thinking about shots?

pcruz4ever

I'm headed to Panama, Costa Rica and Belize in November. Just within the past couple of weeks I've been hearing quite a bit about the insect life and all the wonderful little surprises the mosquitoes especially carry. I'm planning on taking the spray, but should I also be thinking about getting shots/meds to prevent malaria? Most of the people talking about it are those who stay for extended periods. With only 7 hours in port should this even be a concern?

I'm headed to Panama, Costa Rica and Belize in November. Just within the past couple of weeks I've been hearing quite a bit about the insect life and all the wonderful little surprises the mosquitoes especially carry. I'm planning on taking the spray, but should I also be thinking about getting shots/meds to prevent malaria? Most of the people talking about it are those who stay for extended periods. With only 7 hours in port should this even be a concern?

As far as I know one does not need shots just to take a Carnival Cruise. Maybe for some of the destinations but so far no shots just to be on the ship.

All you need is one prick.....

Just one mosquito bite may infect you with malaria. I travel to South America once a year to do charity work and I never leave the US without taking my Malaria medication.

The Panama area is known for its mosquito infestations -- remember how many people died building the Canal? Sure, the situation has improved, but they don't live by the 'drown everything in chemicals' situation that we have in the US.

I recommend taking the medication. Your Doctor must write you a prescription - Lariam or MEFLOQUINE 250MG tablets. You need to start taking them 1-2wks before you arrive at your destination, once a week while you are there, and for up to 4wks after you get back. It's only one tablet per week, or as prescribed by your Dr.

They are expensive little pills, but worth every penny -- at least for PEACE OF MIND. Most insurance policies will cover most of the cost. Otherwise, they are about $10 each.

All you need is one prick.....

Just one mosquito bite may infect you with malaria. I travel to South America once a year to do charity work and I never leave the US without taking my Malaria medication.

The Panama area is known for its mosquito infestations -- remember how many people died building the Canal? Sure, the situation has improved, but they don't live by the 'drown everything in chemicals' situation that we have in the US.

I recommend taking the medication. Your Doctor must write you a prescription - Lariam or MEFLOQUINE 250MG tablets. You need to start taking them 1-2wks before you arrive at your destination, once a week while you are there, and for up to 4wks after you get back. It's only one tablet per week, or as prescribed by your Dr.

They are expensive little pills, but worth every penny -- at least for PEACE OF MIND. Most insurance policies will cover most of the cost. Otherwise, they are about $10 each.

Before you speak to your doctor about Lariam, do a google search on the drug. In the past, it has been linked to quite a few episodes of psychosis and suicide. Conde Nast Traveler did a feature story several years ago about the dangers of Laruim.

There is also a high risk of side effects for other effective malaria drugs.

I don't know if your doctor will give you the drug for such a short stay in Central America. Also, deal with an MD that prescribes the drug who will know the side effects not just an MD that is allowed to prescribe the drug.

In Monicubas situation, I'd most definitely take the drug. In yours, no.

I thought the poster was talking about booze too. ;)

When my husband has to go to South America for the AF, he takes malaria medication starting the week before he leaves and has to take it for six weeks to eight weeks after he gets home.

He also takes typhoid medication.

That being said, I'm not going to worry too much about it on our little cruise down Belize way, but I might worry about it for Panama et. al.

Shots? The only shots I've ever taken were tequila....

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I tried, I really did.

I thought the EXACT same thing. Although, I think of that more when i go to places like Cozumel or Nassau

Make sure your bug spray contains DEET (the heavy duty kind, Deep Woods Off and the like). I work in public health and we recommend the spray over anti-malarial drugs to people who will just be "cruising through". If it were a land based vacation, then the drugs would be more appropriate.

As for the other kind, prevention of bites is the first line. Personally, I'm more concerned about West Nile in the US than I would be malaria on a Panama Canal/Belize/Costa Rica cruise.

Dominican Republic might be a concern depending on what I was going to do.

But FYI:

Travelers' Health Hotline spacer.gifFAX:

888-232-3299 toll free

(Any information available by fax is also posted on this site.) spacer.gifPHONE:

877-FYI-TRIP toll free

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/outbreaks.htm

Shots? The only shots I've ever taken were tequila....

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I tried, I really did.

Yeah, I like to have fun with thread titles (to myself, don't wanna offend anyone).

I saw this on yesterday:

LaGuardia to Ship-? how & how much $

And I was thinking "With a really, really, really big truck" :D

altho shots may not be required, several Caribbean destinations are on the threat list for blood donations.

Even the 'couple of hours close to the pier' visit may make you unwelcome at the Red Cross and other collectors.

Spousal unit learned this after our last Carib trip. "Come back in 12 months" That had to hurt cuz she was an on-call pheresis (sp?) doner...they don't have all that many of those...

I take malaria meds - that's a disqualifier too....

As Joe Friday said "Just the facts"... I don't mind having fun with people, or being made fun of (often), but when a very legit question is asked and doofus posts the first reply.... Ooopps, did I just type that?:rolleyes:

That's why I have him on my ignore list (It still shows he posted though, you just can't read it).

Hey, thanks for the info everybody -- and in case you're wondering the advice about both kinds of shots was appreciated. (the alcoholic shots, of course, are always a part of my cruise routine!) As far as the medical info is concerned, the mention of Hepatitis A gave me a jolt until I did some CDC-based research, and feel it's a not-to-worry scenario.

As far as the malaria prevention goes, I plan on heavy-duty DEET use since mosquitos absolutely love me -- and even though the ship's in port between dawn and dusk, not prime time of dusk to dawn, I've a feeling a few roque mosquitos will manage to find me.

CDC seems to recommend Chloroquine for Latin America, which seems effective and relatively benign. (Lariam seems to be more of a last resort for really high risk areas - Africa, Asia, South Pacific, India).

my daughter spent time in mexico from her university and they were required to have shots for malaria. but they lived there for 11 weeks at a time. belize was full of mosquitos, my daughter was covered with bites from walking on our excursion so i would definitely bring bug spray. we didn't and we needed it.

Archived