Boston hotel info

samedaynurse

We are sailing out of Boston , and would like to spend a day or two in advance as its not actually a port of call for us. Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel not too far from the Cruise Terminal ? All the downtown hotels listed are very pricey. Would like one that has an Airport pick up and shuttle to the Cruise even if there is a small fee. Also we would like to do the Hop on Hop off Bus and get to Quincy market and Fenway Park so we would like to be at a hotel that either books tours or can help you get hooked up with something and how to get there. We are obviously clueless about Boston , only know that there are things we would like to see and do and not spend a fortune on hotels. Restaurant advice is also welcome , sea food of course

Thanks so much

jan

What exact dates are you looking at? What is your budget? How many people? The hotels that offer airport and Cruiseport shuttles are located in fringe areas not close to either the Cruiseport or the downtown attractions. Generally we do not recommend these hotels unless the cruisers are willing to deal with shuttles to the 'T' subway and understand that they are going to be in a poor location.

If you're lucky there might be a good hotel on Hotwire for your dates. Jus about the only way to get a good price and location is to prepay for a non cancellable hotel and buy insurance from Hotwire just like you a hopefully buying it from the cruiseline or independently.

We would be arriving on Friday Oct 10, 2014 for 2 nights, there are 4 adults needing 2 roooms . If we stayed, for example at the Holiday Inn Express that offers shuttles would we be able to hook up with a tour or the Hop on Hop off bus for Saturday ? Are you familiar with the location of that hotel or would we be better staying out at the airport to hook up with a tour and transportation ? All of the nice hotels in the downtown area that I looked up were going for nearly $500 per nite, that is way out of budget for us.

jan

You are way too early to be making these reservations. What would you be paying for the Holiday Inn Express? It is several block from the T, so that could work. You cannot depend on a hotel shuttle to run you in and out of Boston. It might work going in, but it's unlikely to be satisfactory outbound.

If you buy independent cruise insurance you can include your airfares, pre paid hotel, and cruise base price in the amount covered. That gives you the freedom to do a prepaid hotel. Hotwire could be a excellent option if you are patient. I'm seeing a 5* Quincy Market hotel for this year for about $250 tax included and its really late for an Oct date. If the Westin Waterfront doesn't have an event, it will for sure be out there later on for your dates (4* hotel in the Waterfront district). This would be the hotel that best fits your criteria - closest to both the pier and the airport plus the Hoho stops there.

Please be patient. You really aren't going to like any of the fringe neighborhoods. I'd rather see you look at a B&B hotel like the John Jeffries house where you would be right in town and could walk to almost everything including the Hoho.

If there is no event at the Convention Center, the Westin Waterfront will be on Hotwire at some point. It's not really a downtown hotel, but it's close enough to walk and is only two stops on the Silver Line from South Station. There's no comparison between staying at the Westin and staying in Dorchester, Chelsea, Revere, Saugus, or Quincy, which is where the hotels with shuttles are located.

The cab fare from the airport is also about $25-30 with an option to take the Silver Line for free directly from any Logan Terminal to the World Trade Center station, which is one block from the Westin. A cab to the port should be in the $10-15 range at most.

Thank you so much for the wonderful information, I will continue to ask as I have more questions if you dont mind :) I know its way too early , I just know that boston and the things we want to see are the hardest part of our cruise since none of us know boston and we all know its not a *cruise city so to speak * we got a wonderful price on our cruise but now you have to figure out how to see and do a bit of boston at a reasonable price. I am actually going to look into that B&B you mentioned......just to see....

jan

Check out the John Jeffries. It's reasonable, it's located right by the MGH stop on the Red Line T, it's on the edge of poshy Beacon Hill, and it's within walking distance of a lot of sights. As you can see from the reviews, it's not a full service hotel so don't expect the Four Seasons. You can easily take the Silver Line (free from the airport), transfer to the Red Line at South Station (elevator between platforms), and ride three more stops to MGH, which is also an accessible station.

To get to the ship you can reverse the process and take the Red Line back to South Station and the Silver Line SL2 bus directly to Black Falcon pier.

Check out the John Jeffries.
I agree with this recommendation. Nicely located, not really expensive.

For your seafood consider Neptune Oyster in the North End rather than Union Oyster which will be more touristy. Only catch is they don't take reservations, but give them your name and walk around a bit until your time.

We stayed at the Marriott Copley. Could walk to subway or walk across the street and take the hop on hop off trolley or the Ducks. Walked to a lot of things around there.

MARRIOTT'S BOSTON CUSTOM HOUSE VILLAS

3 Mckinley Square, Boston, MA 02109

Near Faneuil Hall Marketplace

For Hotel Reservations: 1-800-741-5072 | WorldWide (817) 333-5105

$ 379.00

per night

Try this one. Marriott hotel located in historic building in downtown. Super location for touring.

Try the Boston Common Hotel; it is across the street from a HOHO stop and of course from there, you can do anything. We spent 2 nights there last year pre-cruise and although it is older, it was fine for what we needed. Free breakfast. Cab to pier was (from memory!) no more than $20.00, I'm sure.

As stated it is too early to check rates but at least you've got one more to add to your list.

http://bostoncommonhotel.com/

Archived