Anchorage to Seward for 13

lindacat

I just booked a Northbound Alaska trip for next July on RCCL Radiance of the sea. There will be 13 of us ranging from 14-74. Two in the party have some mobility and minor health issues.

While it is too early to book the flights home, based upon this years schedule it appears that our flights will be at 1:30AM..

If we take the train from RCCL which is what we are leaning toward, does anyone have any suggestions for our party while in anchorage all afternoon/early evening?

Is there a better option than the train ?

Thanks for any assistance

Linda

Your title is the wrong direction?

In my opinion, a better option is to also consider staying the day in Seward and enjoying their activities, split up the group, depending on interests. Plenty to see and do. You then could easily take the regular Alaska RR train leaving at 6pm which also is about $30pp cheaper than the cruise contracted train.

With a 1:30am flight this works out just fine with this schedule. All you'll need is a couple cabs to the airport which are lined up at the depot.

I agree with BQ 100%.

There is a lot to see and do in Seward so take advantage of your time there ... a Kenai Cruise, Exit Glacier, SeaLife Center, kayak, hike, fish. And spend a little time at the harbor to watch all the boat activity, fishermen coming off charters, otters swimming, bald eagles flying by. http://seward.com/

Another otion would be to spend the day in Seward then hire an independent transfer company to take your group to Anchorage in a small van and maybe drive thru the Wildlife Conservation Center on the way. I know PJ's taxi in Seward does this sightseeing trip frequently. I don't think they have a vehicle for 13 pax plus luggage. OTOH, perhaps it would be worth their while to rent a van for the day. Doesn't hurt to inquire.

I think with that size group you can find a good deal on an independent transfer that allows a couple of stops, as mapleleaves mentioned. Will be cheaper than the train and give you more options for stops along the way after your day in Seward.

I would compare the cost of booking 13 train tickets with the cost of having a van take you. If you take a van, you will probably not only save money but you will also be able to stop and see things instead of having the train whiz past really interesting stuff w/o stopping.

As anyone who has seen my many train posts on CC, you will note that I intensely dislike trains.

DON

Archived