Ventura or Arcadia

stevet2607

We are considering 2 Med Cruises in October on either Ventura or Arcadia.

We have been on Aurora twice and also QM2. We are in our mid 50's.

Although we prefer the itinerary of the Ventura cruise, we have read reports about it being too big with stories of not enough sun beds etc. Also we prefer not to have too many children around, although wonder if that is likely in October anyway?

QM2 was too big when compared to Aurora so Ventura will seem VERY big for us. We like the traditional feel onboard so Arcadia seems to fit the bill when compared to Venturas more contemporary style.

We have no problem with any average ages for passengers having met many Aurora passengers in their 50's and expect that although the average age on Arcadia might be higher than Ventura, we will still meet people our age.

Can anyone add anything to our current thoughts?

Hi, Hubbie and I in our mid 40s and have one daughter, but last August went on Ventura without her for our anniversary (we had already been on one with her).

No problem with kids, even in August. No problem with sunbeds in August either. Plenty of room to walk around the outside of the ship with a glass of wine, lovely piano bar. can't compare as haven't been on the other ones you mention, but remember the more passengers, the bigger the ship, so I don't think it ever feels more overcrowded. I loved Ventura it felt clean and crisp.

We've been on both. Our preference is Ventura, but not by much. We found Arcadia a bit quiet on a normal cruise (our first, possibly misleading experience was on a three night party cruise), but there were plenty of things we liked about her.

I've blogged from all of our recent cruises, including those on Arcadia and Ventura. Here are some links:-

Arcadia, 2012

Ventura 2011

Ventura 2013

There's also this page which leads to further pages about balconies on both ships.

Hope this is useful.

We are considering 2 Med Cruises in October on either Ventura or Arcadia.

We have been on Aurora twice and also QM2. We are in our mid 50's.

Although we prefer the itinerary of the Ventura cruise, we have read reports about it being too big with stories of not enough sun beds etc. Also we prefer not to have too many children around, although wonder if that is likely in October anyway?

QM2 was too big when compared to Aurora so Ventura will seem VERY big for us. We like the traditional feel onboard so Arcadia seems to fit the bill when compared to Venturas more contemporary style.

We have no problem with any average ages for passengers having met many Aurora passengers in their 50's and expect that although the average age on Arcadia might be higher than Ventura, we will still meet people our age.

Can anyone add anything to our current thoughts?

I think you will find the age range on both ships will be fairly high in October however you will find more younger people on Ventura. As far as children are concerned. I would be surprised to find many on Ventura at that time of year.

Ventura is bigger and has more entertainment and more places to eat. Arcadia is more like Aurora without children.

As we like both we would tend not to go on the one we had just been on. So that would be Ventura.

Gan Canny

Dai

If it is late October, it could be over half-term, which might increase the number of children.

Personally, I much prefer Ventura having been on both. And I am in my fifties.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What are your ports - are any of them tendered. If so I would opt for Arcadia. remember the bigger the ship, the longer it takes to get everyone ashore. and the longer the queues.

I wouldn't worry about the children. We were on the Ventura at Christmas last year and despite there being loads on board they were in their area and caused no problems at all. We have been on both, my concern would be more the older age group on the Arcadia. Children bring a greater variety of adult ages which I much prefer. I am in my fifties and my husband seventy. I would choose on you preferred itinerary. No problem with sun beds on Ventura except so many of them no space in between to get on and off.

Arcadia for me. The children are only a big problem if you like swimming, because the pools are always full of teenagers during the day and they're closed at night. Arcadia doesn't have either problem. But Ventura's just too big - though it doesn't feel crowded, there are always empty or quiet rooms if you don't want to be in a crowd.

Forget about Ventura and Azura as they are too big and too crowded. If you liked Aurora and found QM2 too big then you will not be impressed with Ventura and will not like it. When I tried the sister ship Azura you could never get a seat in the main theatre and the queue to get to the shows went from the theatre main doors all the way to Malabar. Never again for those ships.

I would tend to agree with most observations. Have personal experience

With all these ships. Queen Mary is a one off. Nothing like the rest.

Liked Azura more than Ventura. Had episodes of crowding, especially

On returning to the ship, on Ventura. Sailed on Arcadia three times. Easier

To get around than the two sister ships. Personal choice nowadays is aurora.

With Neil turnbull. However to the point, I would choose vista class Arcadia

In your situation.

Been on both ships and Ventura was the ship we liked best had no problems at all with queuing for shows and we tendered in Cannes and again no problem. We went in October and although there were children on board we hardly saw them and when we did they were no problem. :):cool:

What are your ports - are any of them tendered. If so I would opt for Arcadia. remember the bigger the ship, the longer it takes to get everyone ashore. and the longer the queues.

Im not sure on or two tender ports is enough to swing it totally. We have tendered off Azura and Ventura ( and Eclipse, IOS and AOS) and never had an issue. Collected cards when we wanted to get off and within 15 mins been called to the tender. Remember if you are on a ships excursion you get priority on the tenders anyway. Its about organisation and not size.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived