Which ship for Alaska?

ksc1984

I would make the choice based on One Way/Round Trip. Glacier Bay/Tracy Arm and Skagway/Sitka.

We chose the RT Seattle trip for our trip (next week)because of: a) round trip (lower airfare) and b) we did not go to Sitka last trip.

One way trips have the advantage of having the capability to add day(s) on each side for sightseeing in 2 places Anchorage and Vancouver/Seattle.

As long as you book a whale watching trip and savor time in the fjords of either Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm, you will have a good time.

:rolleyes:

Depending on where you live & prefer to depart or port... we sailed from Seattle on NCL Pearl (aft penthouse) in 2012 ... OMG ... and loved every moment! We will return in a few years & try the extended portion to Denali & cruise.

My neighbor is departing this week for Alaska on Holland because she & her sister prefer some of the cooking classes & on board experiences they offer. My husband & I wanted to experience EVERYTHING that Alaska could offer us and we did as much as we could ... whale watch, river rafting, Bering Sea boat cruise & more. Plus seeing Glacier Bay National Park (all do) was amazing ... we spent our 20th anniversary day there (June 28) ... now that will always stick in our minds!

Check my long review ... might have a couple out there and I'm sure there are more about Alaska cruises. My advice ... book 9-months in advance to receive the best OB perks! Research the tours & do all you can ... you never know if you will make it back, except in your dreams & that's what we are dreaming for ... the next Alaska cruise! For us, we depart for the Greek Islands very soon ... happy sails to you!

Alaska is the one destination that I can't fathom choosing based on ship, instead of itinerary. Itinerary matters here more than anywhere else I can think of offhand.

You don't say which year you are looking at, this year or 2014. But in either case, I would look at an R-class ship, especially the Amsterdam.

This year the Amsterdam is sailing out of Vancouver, which is the prettier ride. Next year, the Amsterdam offers the 14-day cruise again :). If you're going all the way to Alaska, might as well make it worth your while by going for the longest cruise possible.

If not concerned with the itinerary or day of the week, which ship would you pick for Alaska? (Husband, 30 year old daughter and myself traveling.) Thanks

For me it is the Ship that matters the most. And since that is my #1 reason for cruising on any itinerary for Alaska, my answer is Zuiderdam since she is my favorite ship.

Others will tell you it is the itinerary, then the ship. Not me. I usually only get off the ship once during a cruise so for me the ship IS the Cruise:)

Joanie

Archived