Where to eat in Venice and Rome

dlhoward

I think you will get a better idea for restaurant reviews, etc. at tripadvisor. But for us when in Rome or Venice we would check out the posted menu, look to see if the locals were eating, and go in. I can confirm that all the food in either city is going to be good - we never had a bad meal. In Venice we picked a restaurant with seating by a Canal, and in Rome wherever we happen to be when we got hungry:)

Looking for a few of the best places to eat in Venice and Rome.

We drank coffee in St. Marks Square at 9 Euro each. But we sat there for an hour and took it all in for about an hour. It was crazy expensive, but we were really enjoyed it. A small band played. After a crazy day running around Venice exploring, it was very relaxing. Just make sure you know how expensive it is.

Looking for a few of the best places to eat in Venice and Rome.

Rome...many many places,but check out the roof top dining at The Froum hotel,and Venice..Raffallo's(sp?) or for the big bucks The Danelli dining room.

Rome...many many places,but check out the roof top dining at The Froum hotel,and Venice..Raffallo's(sp?) or for the big bucks The Danelli dining room.

I love having a glass of wine at the bar on the rooftop of the Forum hotel and watching the sunset over the Forum and the river beyond. :)

umm. It depends on what you mean by "best places to eat". Michelin 3 stars? Most popular by tourists? Most popular by citizens? Best food? Just sayin'...

For Rome, my "best" places to eat are based on spending days there, not a "drive by" on a port visit. But, some could be adapted to that, I guess.

Pizzarium. If you are visiting the Vatican Museums, walk a few blocks to get here. It's a hole-in-the-wall place, across from the Cipro Metro station. It looks like nothing. But, it is the place that has amazing pizza produced by one of Rome's acknowledged best bakers. As many as 20 varieties to choose from for you pizza al taglio. There are also supli (lovely fried rice cigars), and craft beer. No seating - you queue up for your slices, either stand at the two VERY small bars (maybe 4' long each) or stand outside. If lucky, you may get a seat at the one outside bench. WORTH IT!!!! Look on TA for the address.

Tazzo D' Oro coffee shop. It's right there at the Pantheon. It's horrendously crowded, but I LOVE their granita d' caffe con panna (coffee slushee with whipped cream). I have to stop off and get one whenever I'm in Rome. I like it better than the one served at Sant'D Eustachio (theirs is too sweet for me). I go to the back, pay for the granita, take the receipt to the counter, put it on the counter with a little coin (a "tip" as it were, to get faster service) and wait for my order.

Roscioli. If you happen into the Campo di Fiore area, go find Roscioli. A world-class deli by day, world-class restaurant by night (reservations ABSOLUTELY required weeks in advance).

I like to go up to the rooftop bar at the Hotel Grand della Minerva, behind the Pantheon. Nice bar, good place to grab a glass of wine, grappa, or limoncello and relax at night. Also, if you don't mind taking a taxi to/from the Rome Cavalieri hotel, a glass of two of Barolo with the provided bar munchies, out on their patio terrace, overlooking Rome from the Monte Mario is pretty nice, too. It's a little cooler up there and feels like a park setting. And, if you're into that 3-star restaurant, La Pergola is there (the Michelin 3-star in Rome)...

Oh, the

A word of caution if you're eating in a 'turistical' area: many restaurants and cafes will add a service charge, a cover charge, a music charge, etc on top of their posted menu prices. It can add up quickly. We ate lunch at a cafe at the foot of the Rialto Bridge during Carnevale and the various fees were almost as much as the food we ordered, but we knew that going into it, and decided that the use of the table right along the canal and all of the associated people watching was well worth the price. Check with the maitre'd before you are seated.

If you're just looking for food, then it is usually worth walking away from the main sites for a block or two, and the price will decrease dramatically (think how expensive those prime real estate locations are, and that gets passed on in the price). For example, gelato in Piazza San Marco will be at least 2-3 times as expensive as that a few minutes walk away. But if you want to walk with the gelato in the Piazza and watch people toss seed to the pigeons (while keeping an eye on your purse) then the cost is not the primary issue.

If you are looking for a place where the local residents eat, look on the streets a good distance from the tourist areas. Does it have no ambience at all? A good start. Bright lighting? Even better. A TV playing? Bonus points. A very small menu, on a chalk board, or no menu at all? Eat there!

This sounds tongue-in-cheek, but these are signs of a restaurant that isn't trying to attract tourists. You will almost certainly get a very good meal at a very good price.

Pizzarium. If you are visiting the Vatican Museums, walk a few blocks to get here. It's a hole-in-the-wall place, across from the Cipro Metro station. It looks like nothing. But, it is the place that has amazing pizza produced by one of Rome's acknowledged best bakers. As many as 20 varieties to choose from for you pizza al taglio. There are also supli (lovely fried rice cigars), and craft beer. No seating - you queue up for your slices, either stand at the two VERY small bars (maybe 4' long each) or stand outside. If lucky, you may get a seat at the one outside bench. WORTH IT!!!! Look on TA for the address.

We ate at one of these right down the street from the museum entrance. Our private guide took us there. 5 euros for a personal pizza (your choice) a drink and a desert. Tiny little 4' bar on one side with 3 or 4 stools. The pizza is cooked downstairs and the guy goes down into a tiny hole in the floor - back and forth !!!! It was some of the best pizza we have had in our trips to Italy.

Archived