Sunshine Review (Grand Scenic Ocean View)

gospelle

Thank you for taking the time to post your review while you are still on vacation! Do you plan to write a review of what you did at each of the ports? I am doing this same itinerary in September so I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me...

1) What time did they start embarkation in Venice? Do you know when is the earliest they will let people board? And what time did they let you go to your cabins to drop off carry on bags? (we want to get on and off ASAP so we can head off to St Marks Square to explore!!)

Our plane landed at 9:45 am and I think we were on board at 12:30ish. We waited a while and that was tough as we were tired.

2) How strict were they with checking for people boarding with alcohol in Venice?

I didn't bring any the first day but they never batted an eye when we brought alcohol on.

3) When we originally booked the cruise, carnival told us that the ship will pull away from the dock during the overnight at Venice and we will have to take a tender to get back on the ship that night- did you experience that on your cruise?

Always docked.

4) Did you do anytime dining and if so, what did you think about it? Did you notice any long lines at certain times?

We did anytime dining. We waited one hour one night and learned to get there early before 6:30 pm you were fine. The MDR was our only serious complaint, service was terrible except for Joel from Honduras. We stopped eating in the MDR and ate in the Lido as they had the same food. We also met folks with complaints about their timed dining. Even removed their tips for the dining room staff.

5) Which nights are formal nights?

Sea DAys and only the first formal night seemed a special menu. The second we skipped as the menu had nothing special.

6) were there any ports when ship time and local time in the port were different? Did you have to change your clocks at all?

Athens was a different time zone so we changed clocks on the first sea day and reset the second. If you don't go to Athens/Izmir you will probably not change times.

7) Did you save the Fun Times? Any chance you could scan and post them???

No sorry I am sure someone will have them.

Find the Havana Aft on deck 9 (lido) eat there if eating on the Lido, it was never crowded and great omelet bar

Thanks again! I appreciate you sharing all this information with us :)

Hope this helps

I stayed onboard both days and yes the ship was pretty empty. More people were onboard at Venice as oppose to Civitavecchia. We did get off late morning in Civitavecchia and had a walk around, not much to see, but it did have a few nice shops. There is also a HOHO bus there too that takes you to Tariqunia. The port buses in Civitavecchia were free. Into sure if your cruise goes to Athens or not personally I wouldn't bother getting off their unless you are into ruins and culture. If ever I go again, I will stay on the boat.

Athens isn't on our itinerary, but we went last year anyway. :)

On the alcohol, 5 members of my family went on a vineyard tour in Messina on the Mt Etna/Vineyard excursion. Each bought 4 or 5 bottles while at the vineyard. Carnival security did not bat an eye or say anything to them when they went through the security line.

On my sailing before the OPs I saw buckets outside the Limelight Lounge a couple of days, 5 buckets in the elevator area of the Sunset restaurant that were there everyday of the cruise. Then there were single buckets here and there throughout the ship.

This is the first time I have ever seen that on a cruise.

OP. Did you happen to get any video of the ship raining on the inside and all the pails of water?

I got a fair number of pictures. Not sure if I got a video or not. I'm flying home in 2 days and will have a look then. I'll post the pics at least.

Please come back for more and pictures. :) The noise in your room was horrible, am so glad they moved you. If that were me and we heard that even with changing a room my wife would want off the ship. Do you have any many pictures of the buckets around the ship collecting the water? Any idea where the water is coming from? Fresh or gray water?

Thanks in advance!

Did you have to leave the window shades down at night in room 9126?

There were no instructions to leave them down although you couldn't see anything out of them at night with the lights on in the cabin. Blinds were operated by switches and the small 3rd window had Velcro cover.

Please come back for more and pictures. :) The noise in your room was horrible, am so glad they moved you. If that were me and we heard that even with changing a room my wife would want off the ship. Do you have any many pictures of the buckets around the ship collecting the water? Any idea where the water is coming from? Fresh or gray water?

Thanks in advance!

I do have pictures and will post shortly. No idea if water was grey or fresh. I didn't notice any smell associated with the leaks not to mention there were several leaks in the galley, so if I had to guess I'd assume it was fresh water.

Curious, did you get onboard credit along with the new room?

no. I did not receive any credit for this issue. I received a cabin that was worth about double what I paid so I considered it a fair resolution and didn't ask for any further compensation.

here's a video of the fan noise referenced in my review...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGqvrd9221Q

note, the new cabin's have a slot by the door that you stick your card in to keep the lights on. If you don't have a card in there it shuts off the lights after several seconds. (which it does at the end of the video). :)

Wife loves having fan noise but when we heard your noise...ohhhh hell no...lol

How was the motion in the Scenic Ocean View cabin? Also wondering about the Temperature in that cabin. Before they moved you, can you let me know how it was? Thanks.

I didn't notice any movement, although the seas were calm for the first part of the trip.

Do you know if they ever fixed the A/C fan sound in 9126? I am looking at that cabin for late 2014. I would hope it would be fixed by then...but if it weren't I'd be just as upset as you.

Honestly, I got the impression they were not going to attempt to fix it anytime soon. There is a similar cabin on the starboard side, I'd recommend trying to get that one.

I find this incredulous Sargent_Schultz Says there are no problems with Sunshine

Were they on the same sailing? Maybe Sargent wasn't on that part of the ship then. The buckets are quite tacky, but I would still book the sunshine for summer 2014. I would think these leaks would be cleared up by then. And why so many? Did the Destiny leak like this?:eek:

Were they on the same sailing? Maybe Sargent wasn't on that part of the ship then. The buckets are quite tacky, but I would still book the sunshine for summer 2014. I would think these leaks would be cleared up by then. And why so many? Did the Destiny leak like this?:eek:

There have been God awful pictures posted on here since the first sailing.

Archived