Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

lincslady,

I stock up on Pecheur and Bredon when it's on offer from Ocado and I guess we have a year or so stock when we restock. The price per bottle on Pecheur can then make it literally the cost or even less than the tax. Red house wine tends to be Tesco Rioja when on special offer and when there is a 1000 points to the account per order which goes towards our BA First to Singapore account. Our house champagne is Bredon which tastes very close to Deutz which is Her favourite even more than Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle. At half price that's around £16 per bottle which is a steal.

When Tesco has a sale it can sometimes take their wine to 75% off. That with the 1000 points mean that it is effectively "less than" free, ie they are paying us to drink it.

I know you know the prices but don't mistake headline prices. Whereas Tesco inflates some (all?) wine prices then makes it look good by big reductions, whilst Waitose and Tesco does that, they do it to a lesser degree.

On matters of puddings. Some in the UK may have seen an item about the Paignton Pudding Riots of 1859 on the "bake off" programme this week. This pudding was made for the opening of an extension to the railway taking it to Paignton. Well, being an inquisitive sod, I had to have a read and I decided to have a look at the newspaper reports of that day from the original newspapers, and for a few days after and as it happens ... there was no mention of any riots at all. Perhaps it became urban myth. 14000 people did have a bit of pudding though.

The detail of the pudding may be of interest to Coolers ..... :)

This pudding bore the form of a pyramid, and was gaily decorated. The ingredients were, 573 pounds of flour, 191 pounds of bread, 352 pounds of raisins, 191 pounds of currants, pounds of suet, pounds of sugar, lemons, 114 nutmegs, and 360 quarts of milk, which made; in the aggregate, a total weight of two thousand one hundred pounds The pudding was made in sections, and was built up on waggon, The procession was formed at Priniley, the residence of John Belfield, Esq., at noon, from whence the cortege proceeded by way of Weston House, and through Winner-street, by Matthews' House, down by the Crossroad, and through Gerston-terrace to the Railway and from thence to The Green, where about 3,000 people of the parish of Paignton, as well as the brave men who made the line, all seated in circle, partook of the feast! The pudding was a ton weight, and drawn by eight horses ; there were also four waggon loads of beef, bread, and cider. Excursion-trains raii from all parts of the county, several steamers made trips, and Mr. Anthony Nicks, the harbour master, threw open the harbour free. The bells sent forth merry peals. Hundreds of pretty hats and bonnets graced the fair forms ofthe daughters Paignton, and the young gentlemen of Torquay took good care to steel their hearts before venturing on the green. Even the old men and women who partook of a like pudding forty-two years ago were much exhilirated by the fun. A splendid band oi music attended, and beaux and belles danced on the green, while the never-ceasing waves of the beautiful and glorious sea kept time. Thousands of persons visited the scene of the festivities, and the whole must have formed a lasting feature in the memory of the youngest inhabitant. A great number of those who walked to the feast at noon got an attack of night-mare in the evening. No accident of great moment occurred, save that which happened to a certain young lady, whose crinoline was so large that the carvers, when getting near the bottom of the pudding, actually took possession of it to keep the pudding from tumbling to pieces—a wise precaution on their part, considering the number of hungry boys from Torquay and Brixham, who stood looking on with open mouths. much for the utility of crinoline.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Great story Jeff, I didn't see the bake off this week....I'll catch up on player later.

Don't forget to take some pics if you're going to the fete!

S:)

Interesting bakeoff this week. Alaskagate! You'll see! :eek:

If it is anything like last year it will be a fete worst than death. :D

Interesting bakeoff this week. Alaskagate! You'll see! :eek:

If it is anything like last year it will be a fete worst than death. :D

Ha ha....you need to get into the 'spirit' of things ;)

I love a good Baked Alaska....The Ivy do rather a nice one with cherries, also like Bananas Foster and Cherries Jubilee...all to look forward to on the Whisper soon....:D

Just debating whether to upgrade myself from C to F.....with the latest BA sale on...decisions....:rolleyes:

Ha ha....you need to get into the 'spirit' of things ;)

I love a good Baked Alaska....The Ivy do rather a nice one with cherries, also like Bananas Foster and Cherries Jubilee...all to look forward to on the Whisper soon....:D

Just debating whether to upgrade myself from C to F.....with the latest BA sale on...decisions....:rolleyes:

If you are just by yourself ... then I'd think about going for it particularly if you haven't tried it. Those sale prices aren't bad. Not being funny, but you only live once and you do deserve a treat. And there's the Concorde Room and LPGS!

Check the actual cost differences between C and F. It isn't completely unknown for F to be not too different on some flight loadings. Set the expectations low. The other thing is that with F you can reserve your seat on booking whereas C you either wait to T-24 or pay. 2K on every any BA plane will do in F!

If you are just by yourself ... then I'd think about going for it particularly if you haven't tried it. Those sale prices aren't bad. Not being funny, but you only live once and you do deserve a treat. And there's the Concorde Room and LPGS!

Check the actual cost differences between C and F. It isn't completely unknown for F to be not too different on some flight loadings. Set the expectations low. The other thing is that with F you can reserve your seat on booking whereas C you either wait to T-24 or pay. 2K on every any BA plane will do in F!

I'm going to call them in a while and see what can be done....I can't do it on line.

I've already paid for seat select in C!

It would be rather a very nice treat.....:)

I'm going to call them in a while and see what can be done....I can't do it on line.

I've already paid for seat select in C!

It would be rather a very nice treat.....:)

Worth a try. Before you call the normal numbers try calling You First. The people there are Gold Line (and better ;) ) people and they are a bit more clued up and helpful. They may say "yes" and help you. You won't get the seat reservation fee back though I think.

The You First helpdesk is open from 07.30 to 20.00 GMT, seven days a week:

- In the UK - 0800 408 7667

- From overseas - +44 161 448 3013

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/travel-classes/first/first

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Worth a try. Before you call the normal numbers try calling You First. The people there are Gold Line (and better ;) ) people and they are a bit more clued up and helpful. They may say "yes" and help you. You won't get the seat reservation fee back though I think.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/travel-classes/first/first

Thank you very much Jeff, that's really helpful.

Just saying in mitigation ..... I had some white cabbage at home and only needed a carrot and an onion for some coleslaw. I don't know what all the fuss is about. Needn't have called the police. A bit of an over-reaction. I was willing to pay. Just a misunderstanding.

:D

Great photos Jeff, looks like a good fun day.

No luck with BA, can't upgrade on my ticket, may be able to do it at check in if l ask.

Did they give a reason?

You are going to find this difficult to believe, but wait a day or two and try a different number and ask again. This sort of thing happens all the time and what often cures it is calling again unless you have a ticket that doesn't allow upgrades which I haven't heard of.

I have got roped into helping with a village cider initiative, There's some land in the village we're hoping to plant with an orchard. We already have a press and a village scheme to bring apples, and a fair cider production, but this new orchard idea could give us a bit of oomph.

Oh dear. I see type ii coming on ....:D

Did they give a reason?

You are going to find this difficult to believe, but wait a day or two and try a different number and ask again. This sort of thing happens all the time and what often cures it is calling again unless you have a ticket that doesn't allow upgrades which I haven't heard of.

I have got roped into helping with a village cider initiative, There's some land in the village we're hoping to plant with an orchard. We already have a press and a village scheme to bring apples, and a fair cider production, but this new orchard idea could give us a bit of oomph.

Oh dear. I see type ii coming on ....:D

I rang the First number you mentioned, very nice but told me l couldn't upgrade on the ticket l was on.....so I don't know!

I'll try ringing the exec club upgrade number next week and see what they say.

The cider challenge sound like fun, hope you don't adopt one them funny accents! :eek:

I rang the First number you mentioned, very nice but told me l couldn't upgrade on the ticket l was on.....so I don't know!

I'll try ringing the exec club upgrade number next week and see what they say.

The cider challenge sound like fun, hope you don't adopt one them funny accents! :eek:

I'm more worried about a funny walk than a funny accent. :eek:

If you go into checkmytrip.com and put your booking number (PNR) into it it will give you the bucket you are booked into. I might be able to see the restrictions from the bucket. It shows beside the expanded drop down and is called "fare basis". It will also confirm that you have been ticketed .... it will show the full ticket number if it has. Sometimes they don't like upgrading until the ticket has been issued.

The "classic" version is better than the new version for reason I won't bore you fully with .. but it shows fare bucket you are in amongst other details.

http://classic.checkmytrip.com/plnext/XCMTXITN/CleanUpSessionPui.action?SITE=XCMTXITN&LANGUAGE=GB

If it also shows a number like Document 125-8513xxxxxxxx - it's been ticketed. If not it hasn't and is in a queue.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

You are so knowledgeable Jeff - love reading all your 'tidbits'.

Forgot to mention earlier, unfortunately don't come home via Singapore - would have been great to catch up.

Karin

That's so kind of you to say. Sadly I don't know anything important, just trivial things. Trivial things are so important though!

:D

Jeff

Do hope you get your upgrade Sophia.

K

Thanks Karin, I'm already booked in club so it's no big deal, although F would be nice! I'm hoping to visit friends next year in Cape Cod so maybe I'll go for it then, and l got a very good fare in the BA sale.

I have Virgin air miles to use up but found too many restrictions when trying to book a flight on the dates l wanted for this trip, plus, it was still stupid money for UC...even with the miles!

So, it's more or less the end of the summer and all the little darlings go back to school this week....are the Christmas cards in the shops yet?

Just realised that I'll be on board ship for Halloween this year....wonder how they celebrate in the Caribbean!

I'm grumpy today, our local low level crossing is in the wonderful hands of Network Rail who think it's fine to still be working at 1am in the morning!:mad:

Pork chops for luncheon today with roast potatoes and veg....not really in the mood for cooking, have a full day at Lincoln County Hospital to look forward to tomorrow with Father....such joy......Bah Humbug!! :rolleyes:

Sophia:)

Gosh .... a bit of a suprise ....

Sydney port constraints see Silversea look elsewhere

Congestion of Sydney’s port facilities is making the city an "increasingly difficult” cruise destination for Silversea, prompting the luxury cruise line to make alternative arrangements.

http://www.travelweekly.com.au/news/sydney-port-constraints-see-silversea-turn-elsewhe

Appreciate this link/news clip. YES, this is a "good news/bad news" situation facing Sydney. Having been there in January, we were fortunate that our larger ship was docked there for two days and at the popular/prime location of the main Overseas Passenger Terminal with the Harbour Bridge on one side and the Opera House in the other direction. WOW!! Super scenic setting!! So handy and close to the best, nearby, must-see sights. Most of the medium and smaller ship, need to sail under the large bridge and dock in locations/areas that are not as handy and scenic. We were super glad to be at this best location.

And, Sydney is getting more and more cruise ships going there during the peak November to March period. More choice for consumer, but tougher competition for cruise ships, especially those selling at a premium level, including Silversea. Plus, at times, crossing between New Zealand and Australia on the potentially rough Tasman Sea can be challenging. Sydney knows it needs more docking spaces. But, getting that done and located is harder to get done than just identify the need.

For those interested in Sydney, below are three visuals of this great harbor.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 75,097 views for this fun posting.

Here is a final look sampling of the famed Sydney Harbour Bridge as we did our sail-away on Jan. 21, 2014. Both the Opera House and this bridge are the two biggie “icons” for Sydney. To be able to explore, visit and experience each of these “up-close and personal” and in-depth was one of our best memories for visiting this town. Both of these were dramatic, untested designs by people without much of a track record for doing such big projects. But each one worked out exceptionally well. Neither are average, boring, bland and/or the same-old looks you can see in every other town in the world. That daring is part of what makes Sydney so special!!:

SydneyDepartSolstice2_zpsa8668ca6.jpg

Here are two very dramatic views of the Solstice making its first visit to Sydney's famed harbor on Sunday, December 9, 2012. These were taken by an Australian resident, Sutho, who took a helicopter ride around the harbor, offering unique visual viewpoints of this Celebrity ship making its opening visit here. What a wonderful setting in which the bigger ships are docked, spending time during the winters (for us), summers for those in Australia! The first picture shows a smaller cruise ship and where they mostly dock. Bigger ships are too tall to under the Harbour Bridge.

SolsticeSydneyHeliWideBridge.jpg

SolsticeSydneyHeliWideDowntown.jpg