Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

A piece in today's Times about whether or not it is a good idea to have breakfast. Apparently Liz Hurley just has hot water, and occasionally a coffee! The theory being that, whereas it used to be the idea that you should have a large breakfast, medium lunch and hardly anything in the evening, for both your health and weight, some guru has now decided different.

Since you (Jeff) seem to have fairly large lunches, I wonder if you and others have any breakfast? We could not eat so much at lunch, but do have a goodish dish of fruit with a dollop of greek yogurt, followed by toast some days, a croissant others,and a boiled egg or bacon sandwich occasionally, for breakfast. And when on a ship I make the most of a half portion of blueberry pancakes or egg benedict, or an omelette after a big plate of fruit.

How about all of you? Apologies for no photos.

I struggle with breakfast most days but do try and eat something if l can! Porridge or a muffin or a slice of toast....

My main meal is lunch, particularly since retirement. I've found l can't eat a big meal in the evening....even when on board ship...although l do try and pace myself for those occasions as l enjoy the company for a change.

Breakfast when cruising is usually in cabin...but l never seem to get the timing right :rolleyes:

Supper at home is normally a sandwich.

S:)

Sophia, Your itinerary looks very nice. When you're in New York, do you plan to go to the Frick Museum? There is an El Greco exhibition then which looks good.

I always love the Frick!

Anyway, it looks like a great trip!

Carolyn

I'm in New York for just two days Carolyn....the first day l plan to shop, the second day I'm planning to do the cultural stuff. I haven't been to the Frick but will most certainly look into that amongst others...thank you for the suggestion.

It's not my first visit to the city so I've done all the usual tourist things over the years so I'll see how l feel when l get there this time.....I'm looking forward to the whole buzz of the place again!

Good to see the peas are back again! Was delighted to find some frozen broad beans somewhere on my travels - something I've missed over the years.

Can't say I'm too impressed with this weather - we have resisted putting the heating on and bought a fan heater in Argos - seems to do the trick and heated the room quite quickly (I wasn't watching the electric meter though :rolleyes:).

Still getting to grips with a few of the last boxes - only one left now - I keep pushing it around my "office" hoping it will go away LOL

The next big project will be replacing all window coverings throughout the house but that can be done gradually when I finally get to grips with these ridiculous metric measurements.

Mary

Good to hear you are almost settled Mary.....it's a tough call when moving!

I've had the heating on and off here for the past two weeks....it's getting chilly!

I never worry about the metric stuff...I'm still working in feet and inches and pounds and ounces....:eek:

Good morning - it is a beautiful morning here in potato growing land. Hoping to go to the Garden Centre to buy winter pansies for the tubs and window boxes.

It is interesting to hear of others' eating habits. Jeff, it sounds as if you are really a northerner - having the main meal in the middle of the day. In the old days, you had 'dinner' at 12 or 1, and 'tea' (high tea, with something hot but less than at noon, as opposed to 'afternoon tea' which is a southern affectation) at around 5 or 6. Then possibly 'supper', a cup of cococa or tea and a biscuit, before bed.

Nowadays, 'supper' where my son lives in rather posh Wiltshire is the evening meal, often held in your grand kitchen/diner, to which you may invite your friends and neighbours. Round here, we are still behind the times and call it 'dinner'.

Hope everyone else here in the UK is having lovely weather too - summer's last fling.

Our meal schedules fall into one of two patterns:

1. At home: Breakfast - none. Lunch - 1/2 a quiche or soup and bread. Dinner - proper 2 or 3 courses. Alcohol? None.

2. On board ship: Breakfast - buffet. Lunch - at least 2 courses. Afternoon tea - of course. Dinner - 3 or 4 courses. Plus half bottle of wine, a couple of beers and a couple of whisky sours each day.

Needless to say we tend to find that the bathroom scales overread by half a stone or so on return from a cruise!

Edited by Tothesunset

You are very fortunate - you have another 5 series to look forward to!

Good Morning,

I never saw the series before it became available as a boxed series on NowTV/Sky in the UK. I'm stunned at the silky smooth quality of the whole thing. Really good. Excellent humour. Although sometimes, particularly the 2nd series they do talk a touch quick for us to grasp everything. And why are so many mature women's voices sound like daffy duck or that they have been breathing helium. It is really strange how female American voices appear to have changed over 30 years or so to my wife and I on our UK TV sets.

We're currently watching three at a time from around midnight each night ....

Good morning - it is a beautiful morning here in potato growing land. Hoping to go to the Garden Centre to buy winter pansies for the tubs and window boxes.

It is interesting to hear of others' eating habits. Jeff, it sounds as if you are really a northerner - having the main meal in the middle of the day. In the old days, you had 'dinner' at 12 or 1, and 'tea' (high tea, with something hot but less than at noon, as opposed to 'afternoon tea' which is a southern affectation) at around 5 or 6. Then possibly 'supper', a cup of cococa or tea and a biscuit, before bed.

Nowadays, 'supper' where my son lives in rather posh Wiltshire is the evening meal, often held in your grand kitchen/diner, to which you may invite your friends and neighbours. Round here, we are still behind the times and call it 'dinner'.

Hope everyone else here in the UK is having lovely weather too - summer's last fling.

Wiltshire. Our upmarket next door neighbour!

On our trip down to our beach hut with a balcony we always pass Stonehenge either at 1am or 3am depending on whether we're coming or going.

I think many Southerners also called lunch dinner and whilst I have been continually told that a healthy day must start with a breakfast, this week we're told that isn't so. I have only ever had the one meal a day. I try and buy stuff for the evenings but I then become prisoner of what I bought. So I like something small like a bagel or a slice of toast. Doesn't stop me getting bigger but that's the wine!

Also, when we started the businesses I'd always invite people to lunch and they'd stand or sit in the kitchen with me whilst I made lunch and that's where we'd talk and devise cunning plans .... even a VP from SS came across the water for a few lunches. In the end when you do business over a lunch that you personally cooked for your guest, then a business relationship always becomes a friendship. How can it fail?

I also think you show love for people when you cook for them. So lunch has always been the centre of my life.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
spelling correction

Good Day,

Quite a pleasant day here and slightly warmer so no heating on this morning!

As a child l can remember lunch being called dinner, then tea being at around 5pm with supper being just before bedtime and that being no more than a cup of something with a biscuit.

It's always intrigued me that our American cousins start 'dinner' from 5pm!

LL, you mentioned the winter flowering pansies, l too like a splash of colour in the darker months. When l was at the kids this last weekend they had bought two quite lovely hanging baskets of pansies from Homebase ....£20 for the two and they were really pretty.

I've now reduced my house again for a quick sale so unsure if I'm going to 'do' them this autumn.....the old gardener is back off holiday next week so he'll have the final say l guess!

I'm very tired today after the drive home so just a quick chicken pie and chips for lunch, in the meantime enjoying a wee glass of claret today, haven't drunk red for a long time so it's a nice change.

Sophia :)

Tothesunset - you are good chaps not drinking at all at home! I fear this is what keeps our weight up, as we do not eat an enormous amount.

On board ship we have recently managed not to put on more than 3 lbs. each - we have a salady lunch, (plus pudding I have to say), no afternoon tea, as we eat dinner fairly early. But we certainly drink a fair bit.

S - sorry to hear you are currently in the selling house process; I have always hated it, especially as we always seemed to live in something quirky - firstly a very modern flat roofed house, which was much admired but most people found it too unusual, then lastly an old Georgian farmhouse, lovely but draughty and always needing money spent on it. I think we are now almost certainly in our last abode, with just 2 bedrooms but also 2 bathrooms thank goodness.

Just got back with the pansies - a mixture of purple, lilac, pink and white, which should improve the look of the outside no end.

Claret! :eek:

You've just dashed all my chances Sophy Gal! You're too upper crust for me and my cheap house wines!

:o

Jeff

This was one of the Ocado offers, three bottles ...25% off. I bought some for my son in law and kept a couple back to try...not expensive but pretty good. I'm starting to now stock up for Christmas!

[quote name=lincslady;43900686

S - sorry to hear you are currently in the selling house process; I have always hated it' date=' especially as we always seemed to live in something quirky - firstly a very modern flat roofed house, which was much admired but most people found it too unusual, then lastly an old Georgian farmhouse, lovely but draughty and always needing money spent on it. I think we are now almost certainly in our last abode, with just 2 bedrooms but also 2 bathrooms thank goodness.

Just got back with the pansies - a mixture of purple, lilac, pink and white, which should improve the look of the outside no end.[/quote]

This is going to be my last move LL! I have a big house here with quite a bit of land, it's far too big for me now and needs constant attention, particularly the garden which needs two gardeners in twice a week...so expensive also!

I really want to move back over to Cheshire to be close to the children and have seen a bungalow down there which is perfect.

Sadly the market still isn't good so I've had to reduce drastically to hopefully attain a quick sale.....whoever buys the place is going to have a bargain!

Tothesunset - you are good chaps not drinking at all at home!

OH has the occasional glass of wine especially if we have visitors; however, I maintain my saintly disposition as a non-drinker! So if I get a cirrhotic liver it will all be Silversea's fault.

Sadly a bit drizzly here this morning, however the pansies must go in.

Did anyone watch the programme about the Taj Mumbai last night? Fascinating, and the contrast there, which we did not see much of in the programme, is unbelievable. I have very happy memories of a two night stay there at the end of a cruise on the old Radisson Song of Flower, when we were in the atmospheric old wing, and I had a wonderful swim in the huge pool. We also had such a good dinner in their Chinese restaurant (I know, should have been Indian) that we had the same menu the second night. Then a horrid overnight flight home, after being in a so-called lounge at the airport.

I think it is the first of a series, if so presumably they will cover the terrorist attack.

Did anyone watch the programme about the Taj Mumbai last night? Fascinating, and the contrast there, which we did not see much of in the programme, is unbelievable. I have very happy memories of a two night stay there at the end of a cruise on the old Radisson Song of Flower, when we were in the atmospheric old wing, and I had a wonderful swim in the huge pool. We also had such a good dinner in their Chinese restaurant (I know, should have been Indian) that we had the same menu the second night. Then a horrid overnight flight home, after being in a so-called lounge at the airport.

I think it is the first of a series, if so presumably they will cover the terrorist attack.

I'm envious that you've stayed there ... it seems a destination in itslef and some of that food looked wonderful. To be completely honest, seeing that you'd had a Chinese meal there and not an Indian one almost brings me to tears ..... I'd so much love to experience that restaurant. But you already know you "did wrong" :D

Todays walk ..... just about to make some lunch .....

DSC02192X.jpg

DSC02191X.jpg

DSC02190X.jpg

DSC02194X.jpg

...... and yesterdays lunch!

6174D474-5963-4964-8B89-0D965F76AED9.jpg

Lovely pictures Jeff - you are a good soul to post them, to make everyone feel more relaxed. The field looks exactly like those round here do at present. The weather bucked up, and the pansies now look lovely in their containers.

I know about the Chinesey at the Taj (could have not mentioned it to keep up my credentials) but we both prefer Chinese to Indian, and it was the first one we came across on the ground floor, and the menu looked too good. It really is one of the fabulous hotels of the world, to my mind, and I don't think it cost us much to stay there as part of our cruise. I imagine you have been to India - you seem to have been almost everywhere. Somehow the history of all the interesting people who have stayed at these places gives them extra character. We loved the Negresco in Nice, but when I said this on a thread lots of people disagreed.

Lovely pictures Jeff - you are a good soul to post them, to make everyone feel more relaxed. The field looks exactly like those round here do at present. The weather bucked up, and the pansies now look lovely in their containers.

I know about the Chinesey at the Taj (could have not mentioned it to keep up my credentials) but we both prefer Chinese to Indian, and it was the first one we came across on the ground floor, and the menu looked too good. It really is one of the fabulous hotels of the world, to my mind, and I don't think it cost us much to stay there as part of our cruise. I imagine you have been to India - you seem to have been almost everywhere. Somehow the history of all the interesting people who have stayed at these places gives them extra character. We loved the Negresco in Nice, but when I said this on a thread lots of people disagreed.

Hello,

It is so kind of you to say you like the pictures. I want to cheer others up but sometimes wonder whether it's more trouble than needed if they aren't cheering people up!

The programme last night reminded wifey about a conversation she had with some neighbours about our "loyalty" to Intercontinental Hotels - particularly our "second home" in Singapore. The neighbour asked wifey why we keep going there and she tried to explain what "real service" is.

Wifey talked about the JetQuay service the hotel arranges so once we hand in our luggage at the F desk at Heathrow the next time we see it (apart from checking it is in the boot of the limmo at Singapore) is when it is in our suite in Singapore. We're met at the gate of the plane with a buggy, they radio so that someone else goes and gets our luggage, we go through private immigration in the CIP Terminal and wait with some drinks until they put the luggage in the boot. The limmo is in touch with the hotel and they are waiting for us at the door with a porter and manager and take us past the crowds directly to our suite to check in. There is a bottle of bubbly waiting for us whilst we do this.

We get the same suite every time. They remember how we like the suite laid out furniture wise. They know what garden furniture we like. They know what we want in the mini-bar and what wifey wants in the fruit bowl. They know what time to service the suite so we can doze in the afternoon after lunch.

The lounge knows our favourite tea. They know I drink diet coke. They know the sauvignon I like. They joke and banter with me. (They take the mick out of me actually .... :D )We exchange christmas cards. We have free min bar, laundry .... even free breakfast in the suite rather than lounges. They ensure we have a cake and bubbly on birthdays and anniversarys. And it's almost the same when we go to - for example - IC Vienna. We always have the same suite there etc . etc. It is all about friendship and detail. And it has to be two way. They have recently employed a young man with " learning difficulties" in the club lounge. He won't remember us ... but he will have his own christmas card from us this year because We know that he will treasure a card from a customer. It takes two to make a relationship. Both sides must take trouble.

There's a space for old fashioned top notch service. And this is exactly the dream I had for SS when we became involved. Sadly I lost that one ....:)

The Negresco is a wonderful hotel ( thin walls though ...... ) and they use to have the best and loveliest lunch in the Le Chantecler. We took some friends/clients there for lunch to celebrate our 25th and they put on a great cake for us and everything. Sadly now closed for lunch. So sad .....

I've got to get back to my potatoes ....:eek:

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I'm cheered! I'm so cheered! AND it portends good luck for the rest of the day when you see a white horse in the field. Everyone knows that's true.

Carolyn

You are lovely to say so! Thanks.

These potatoes are going to be good. I have no idea what they are called ... but ready in around 10 minutes or so. I think they are sort of boulangere ..... but I've done too many. I looked at her little wide eyes today and new it had to be fish with potatoes. I do sound odd, don't I? :eek:

Jeff

Damn it LL....l missed that, what channel was it on? I had a few phone calls last evening so didn't see much television.....l must start organising myself better!!

It's so lovely to look back at our favourite places and l love reading about everyone's experiences. I've never been to India and l don't mention it in this house because it starts father off about the time he was there in the war....but we won't go down that road!!!

Hello,

It is so kind of you to say you like the pictures. I want to cheer others up but sometimes wonder whether it's more trouble than needed if they aren't cheering people up!

The programme last night reminded wifey about a conversation she had with some neighbours about our "loyalty" to Intercontinental Hotels - particularly our "second home" in Singapore. The neighbour asked wifey why we keep going there and she tried to explain what "real service" is.

Wifey talked about the JetQuay service the hotel arranges so once we hand in our luggage at the F desk at Heathrow the next time we see it (apart from checking it is in the boot of the limmo at Singapore) is when it is in our suite in Singapore. We're met at the gate of the plane with a buggy, they radio so that someone else goes and gets our luggage, we go through private immigration in the CIP Terminal and wait with some drinks until they put the luggage in the boot. The limmo is in touch with the hotel and they are waiting for us at the door with a porter and manager and take us past the crowds directly to our suite to check in. There is a bottle of bubbly waiting for us whilst we do this.

We get the same suite every time. They remember how we like the suite laid out furniture wise. They know what garden furniture we like. They know what we want in the mini-bar and what wifey wants in the fruit bowl. They know what time to service the suite so we can doze in the afternoon after lunch.

The lounge knows our favourite tea. They know I drink diet coke. They know the sauvignon I like. They joke and banter with me. (They take the mick out of me actually .... :D )We exchange christmas cards. We have free min bar, laundry .... even free breakfast in the suite rather than lounges. They ensure we have a cake and bubbly on birthdays and anniversarys. And it's almost the same when we go to - for example - IC Vienna. We always have the same suite there etc . etc. It is all about friendship and detail. And it has to be two way. They have recently employed a young man with " learning difficulties" in the club lounge. He won't remember us ... but he will have his own christmas card from us this year because We know that he will treasure a card from a customer. It takes two to make a relationship. Both sides must take trouble.

There's a space for old fashioned top notch service. And this is exactly the dream I had for SS when we became involved. Sadly I lost that one ....:)

The Negresco is a wonderful hotel ( thin walls though ...... ) and they use to have the best and loveliest lunch in the Le Chantecler. We took some friends/clients there for lunch to celebrate our 25th and they put on a great cake for us and everything. Sadly now closed for lunch. So sad .....

I've got to get back to my potatoes ....:eek:

Jeff

What a lovely post Jeff....we never tire of your pics, in fact l become quite disappointed when you don't post any!

There are some beautiful walks around here but I'm rather reluctant to go alone...even with pup, who is a complete coward...:rolleyes:

My old Alsatian would walk miles with me and l always felt safe with him.

Wow....now the Singapore service that you receive is well up my street and how wonderful for you and Mrs Jeff to enjoy that pampering.

Again...l love reading about everyone's travel experiences .....did l read that you've got another trip planned Jeff?

Sophia - BBC 2 last night at 8 until 9. It is the first of a series of 4, so probably on again same time next week. I don't know if those numbers in the paper mean anything which helps to find it, but the one for this was 3008.

LL