Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Now now Jeff! I was about to say that is a lovely picture, looks like a professional food shot, which cannot be easy.

Sophia - I was thinking about you with my question - singles are particularly well looked after on Seabourn, with lots of invitations to hosted tables with different couples and other singles. However, I do have a feeling that the price for singles might well be better on Silversea; singles on Seabourn always say that the cost for them is extortionate.

To be honest l haven't asked my TA to price SB....so I can't compare fares.

SS have looked after me exceptionally well with lots of invites and I've met some lovely folk on board.

When l paid the balance for my next cruise SS dropped the single fare the same day and although l had paid they actually refunded me the difference which was excellent......couldn't see Cunard doing that!!

S :)

Great first shot. I want that dog.

Your doggy seems a bit small. How did you do it?

Jeff

With a little bit of tuition from my computer guy....couldn't get anything with PB...but he went through manage my images from pics I've taken with the iPad.

Some wouldn't upload at all as they timed out....but this one did and although it's nowhere near as good as yours at least it's a start....even though it's small...I'm hoping that it enlarges when you click on it?

I'll keep trying!!

S :)

Good morning Coolers!

Our Belfast nanny calls them sossies to our young grandchildren. I thought it was an infantile term and am delighted to see you referring to them as such.

Perhaps you'd enjoy Vera's rendition of Frankfurter Sandwiches, Frankfurter Sandwiches.

I enjoyed Niles and Pharrell on youtube this morning. Thanks for the mention.

B.

It is incumbent on me to legitimise other people's correct plumage and usage, and I hope you showed my sossy to your Belfast Nanny, as her life will not be complete without a peep at a sossy from the home country. Of course this isn't completely true because it is a Bratty from Bavaria.

I remember it was actually by Rosemary Squires and she was so "ashamed" she used the name Joanne and the Streamliners so no one "knew" it was her ... although it was originally done by a chap from Leeds called Harry Rose who emigrated to the US.

Full of inuendo .....:)

FRANKFURTER SANDWICHES

Joanne & The Streamliners

Every night he brings me

Frankfurter sandwiches

Frankfurter sandwiches

Ah his baby loves those

Frankfurter sandwiches

Frankfurter sandwiches

He tried to win me with flowers

All kinds of sweetness

`Til he found out his baby's weakness

Every night I whisper

Thanks for the sandwiches

But he feels there's something wrong

Instead of me billing and cooing

All I keep doing is chewing

Frankfurter sandwiches

Frankfurter sandwiches

All night long

Since the world began

The girl expects the man

To bring her tokens of his love

Some bring bags of gold

Their lady loves to hold

And jewels bright as stars above

But it seems my ideals are much higher

So here's how people bills by heart desire

furter sandwiches, furter sandwiches

furter sandwiches, furter sandwiches

I really don't care for candy

Ice cream and custard

But how I love hot dogs with mustard

Every night I whisper

But he feel's there's something wrong

Each time he starts poppin the question

I'm too busy digestin'

Furter sandwiches, furter sandwiches

All night ….

Frankfurter sandwiches all night long

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Sorry, it was a Varla Jean Merman who I was watching. I liked her better than Harry Rose actually. Yes, it is a bit risque.

So then, sossy is a common term then, is it? I adored your sossy or brats from Bavaria pictures. Made me hungry. I love the Kartofflesalat.

Sophia, will we be seeing your pictures soon? Some Yorkshire countryside photos would be delightful!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

The last time we had kartoffelsalat was actually with the bratties we had at The Swiss House in Vienna earlier this year. Were those the ones you meant? You have to make it in the UK, just like both gurkensalat and krautsalat none seems to be purchaseable in the UK. I had to buy some styrian pumpkin seed oil to make the potato salad here.

When will we have some piccies from you then C? :)

Some reminders of lovely food at The Swiss House in Prater in Vienna .... with the kartoffel, gurken and kraut salats ..... and the busiest Budvar dispense area in the world I reckon ..... count those filled glasses ...

DSC01952X.jpg

DSC01949X.jpg

DSC02005X.jpg

P1010708X.jpg

P1010784X.jpg

P1010783X.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Oh, sweet!!! My favorite foods, I must admit. Next time I'm in Vienna I will stop there. Thanks for the incentive.

I have to make the Kartoffelsalat at home here too. I am extremely hungry as the hot mop guy just left and I have not been able to get any food. The whole house smells of tar now so we will probably leave the premises for a few hours.

Until much later,

Carolyn

Sorry, it was a Varla Jean Merman who I was watching. I liked her better than Harry Rose actually. Yes, it is a bit risque.

So then, sossy is a common term then, is it? I adored your sossy or brats from Bavaria pictures. Made me hungry. I love the Kartofflesalat.

Sophia, will we be seeing your pictures soon? Some Yorkshire countryside photos would be delightful!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

I'm trying hard to master the art of posting pictures....so hopefully soon!

S:)

Greetings Coolers......such a glorious typical autumn day here in Yorkieland with a welcome chill in the air.

I'm still working on producing better pics....my son in law is going to assist this weekend whilst I'm in residence!!

Looking back through the posts l see Rosemary Squires mentioned...do l recall a Dorothy Squires who was some way connected to Roger Moore or am l having the usual senior moments again....:rolleyes:

I see there is to be a Cilla biography programme coming up on the tele...wonder if they'll show her telling the Cavern audience to go forth and multiply as she so often did in the early days when she was the lunchtime cloakroom girl....

Ah well....such trivia we talk at times....;)

Lunch today is Waitrose plaice with fries and peas.

Sophia :)

Jeff - just looked at the large group on Sojourn thread - getting a bit argumentative! It is funny how people's personalities somehow show through a lot in their posts, whether they are the quiet unobtrusive type or the rather in-your-face type, don't you think?

I am curious to understand why any posts about tipping are removed so quickly. I have found them really helpful - it is how I learned about the crew fund and it also gives an honest perspective on what others are doing. Not here to stir up trouble, but just don't see what could be objectionable about the general tipping topic.....Thanks to most experienced CC members for your possible insights.

Hi Otis, my response to your question posted here for reasons that I believe are helpful to you and your question. Respond here or the thread you started as you prefer.

This issue is both a repetitive issue and can cause the quality of debate to become either argumentative and uninformative and possibly all three. For those reasons a moderator/host can feel it appropriate to close or even in extremis decide to delete the thread. That's the right thing to do. It is normally a sign of our performance as posters (mea culpa included :( ) rather than anything worthy of complaint with hosting.

There is both a lot less tolerance to rudeness and a touch more lattitude from our host (so far ... cross fingers) to the other issues allowed in the cooler thread which many of us hope eliminates the nasty bits and allows more chat. You can if you want post any questions there and hopefully receive the feedback you want. You may detect that there are very few of us, but we try to self-police nastiness out so as to cause minimal need for resorting to alerting and mod intervention. We are supposedly all adults. Some of us even mature adults! :D

On the side issue, it transpires that the crew fund may not be what it seems. Ask and pursue as you wish. :)

Jeff

Jeff - just looked at the large group on Sojourn thread - getting a bit argumentative! It is funny how people's personalities somehow show through a lot in their posts, whether they are the quiet unobtrusive type or the rather in-your-face type, don't you think?

I agree.

For what it's worth, I have no idea about what I might contribute to that thread is worthwhile. It's none of my business. Easier to keep schtoom. But when you see people that are clearly being stiffed by the line, and might benefit from something you think you can help with, but you are constantly "put off" by others who wish to either be nasty or simply pick a fight then who benefits? Don't feed the trolls.

I post pictures because others (it was my daughter and youngest son who started it .... :D ) seem to enjoy them. It is an effort but I take them anyway for reasons I'm more than happy to chat about ... but people enjoy, and what person doesn't like to cheer up others in this grey life we often all share?

On the consumer front it upsets me when I see people who are cleary unaware of their rights and consumer power who do nothing because they simply do not understand their rights and power and then I fail to offer help I think I can offer. Sadly a skill I have had to teach myself is not responding to the side stuff.

I'd like to book on a holiday with a noisy group on it because I promise you I'd make a profit out of it and have a free trip. I say this from experience rather than speculation. We get the services and products we tolerate.

Today ... sorry ... Cumberland Sossies and the appropriate trimmings ...

Jeff

B4CA292D-C5FF-4BA5-9A86-A9B8A53FCB9A.jpg

Regarding food piccies - I can barely use the computer, never mind posting photos! Don't even know the difference between posts, threads, and forums (fora?), so need to be forgiven.

This is probably not the place to get into a comparison situation, but I just wonder if you, Jeff, or Sophia, have ever tried Seabourn? We have been on several Silversea, Seadream and many Regent as well as Seabourn - and I believe Mr. L has had similar experience; probably more. The two most alike are Silversea and Seabourn, but there are distinct differences between them, even though the ships are mostly of similar size. Don't wish to get into arguments here - there is a thread currently on both boards, but just interested to know.

A very good Chum of mine has recently disembarked one of the Seabourn Ships

Having had a hellish time as their was a group of 170 Aussie Computer Salesmen on board, for eleven day's. They went through untold slabs of beer, ' by the hour' and apparently don't bother with the glasses!!

Needless to say letters of complaint being dispatched pronto.

A very good Chum of mine has recently disembarked one of the Seabourn Ships

Having had a hellish time as their was a group of 170 Aussie Computer Salesmen on board, for eleven day's. They went through untold slabs of beer, ' by the hour' and apparently don't bother with the glasses!!

Needless to say letters of complaint being dispatched pronto.

Welcome to the cooler! :)

Just being nosey really. What company did they work for? There's no reason "not to say"that I can think of.

To be clear, if I were simply made aware that 170 computer salesman were booked on a cruise, I wouldn't join them. There is no problem asking about group bookings and nothing wrong with being warned. Informed choice. That would be in SB's interest and my own,

SB would be paying very large claims if only customers pursued them.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Just looked! I cannot understand why folk get so prickly with each other! The OP felt it a good topic to discuss and also make others aware of their personal experience...which was obviously not a very good one!

Everyone has a right to their opinion but some just can't help being argumentative and pull others down. We are all on these boards because we all supposedly have something in common....a love of cruising and the facility to learn from each other.

I very rarely post on the main boards because of the way some respond and l have no wish to become embroiled....l do read through the threads and at times actually giggle and think to myself...." Oh gawd....they're off again" :rolleyes:

S:)

I think what some of them are now are suggesting - or more accurately hiding behind implying - is that if there are any enquiries about group bookings this would lead on inevitably ("the slippery slope") to questions about whether group bookings are, gay, black, Jewish, Muslim or red with green spots. Ai don't know whether this is the concoction they fear because they merely imply. If is it is complete nonsense. This why it is better not to try and help.

Jeff