Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Hi Jeff!

I enjoy our neighborhood and its beauty every day. There is much to see here, the ocean, mountains, the desert, the gorgeous sunsets and sunrises. There is nowhere else I would live anymore in the States.

But your village would be my heart's desire.

Keep posting more pictures, in any and every season.

We are planning to buy a refrigerator this week and are doing research. That brings me to another question. I notice on British TV series of the 70s and 80s i.e.; As Time Goes By and Keeping Up Appearances, the refrigerators are half size and fit under the kitchen counter. This seems a bit inadequate to me. Is this still the case for your icebox heights?

I would love to post photos but technically I am light years away from that. Maybe by 2016 if I put my mind to it. I agree it does enhance the conversation!

Hi Jeff!

I enjoy our neighborhood and its beauty every day. There is much to see here, the ocean, mountains, the desert, the gorgeous sunsets and sunrises. There is nowhere else I would live anymore in the States.

But your village would be my heart's desire.

Keep posting more pictures, in any and every season.

We are planning to buy a refrigerator this week and are doing research. That brings me to another question. I notice on British TV series of the 70s and 80s i.e.; As Time Goes By and Keeping Up Appearances, the refrigerators are half size and fit under the kitchen counter. This seems a bit inadequate to me. Is this still the case for your icebox heights?

I would love to post photos but technically I am light years away from that. Maybe by 2016 if I put my mind to it. I agree it does enhance the conversation!

Hi,

We haven't sadly progressed since those TV programmes.

There is most certainly a difference between the refrigerators in the UK from those in the US and I think it started with the size of our kitchens. It hasn't really changed much.

In our situation, even at our place on the beach ie The Balcony we need two fridges and two freezers and an ice machine. In our main house we have in various rooms a food fridge and separate food freezer both under counter in the kitchen and a wine fridge in the main formal dining room and a separate wine and beer fridge in the utility, a currently unused freezer in the garage and an ice machine. The American approach of a big double door fridge freezer with perhaps cold drinks and ice dispenser is a dream that we couldn't fit anywhere. As an aside wifey and me are currently reworking our way through The Sopranos, and ... you know ... there hasn't been a single scene where he comes into the kitchen without going straight to the fridge and puling out some goodies. Very envious.

Property in the UK outside main cities is much more expensive in the UK than the US. Visitor friends from the US always ask how much our properties are worth. They re always shocked. They have properties often several times the size and are always a fraction of value or cost, Our kitchens our now getting even smaller in new builds and in apartments are now becoming single kitchen dining and lounge rooms. No space for a big American style fridge/ freezer.

Please try and learn to post piccies. It's getting lonely!

Jeff

It seems strange to be building bigger houses and not increasing the space for a full refrigerator. With all the extra appliances you need to have to provide refrigeration it seems smarter to have the bigger fridge. Tony's love affair to his fridge was a very consistent theme throughout that wonderful series. We also waited until the series was over to watch the whole thing. We holed up for long periods of time!

I know real estate is extremely expensive in England, near London. My husband and I were looking in Marin near San Francisco last year to be near our sons and their families and it was another universe. The extra kick of it is we like southern California better than the Bay area. I know, heresy. But housing seems about twice the cost.

You deer looking into your window photo reminded me for some reason of a little ditty from the 1920s.

I went on up to the Audubon Zoo

And they only asked for you

They all asked for you

Well, even enquired about you

I went on up to the Audumon Zoo

And they all asked for you

The monkeys asked

The tigers asked

And the elephant asked f' you too.

Carolyn

Assuming you are using the ipad for both . ..... and a browser rather than tappawalah AND the ipad app for PB then it is really easy. The PB ipad app can be set to automatically upload whatever pictures you've taken to PB every time you open the app. Then really easy.

Go to the ipad PB app and go to the picture, hit the "i" butoon bottom left hand corner and then tap the bottom one "img" and now you have the link in the memory.

Go to your brwser and "reply". Make a space below and above where you tend to paste, then when ready hold down the spot where you want to paste, and you'll be given the option to"paste" Voila. A two line img. Preview to check if you need.

It is really easy. Try!

:)

Thank you Jeff, I will try. Haven't had time this afternoon as pup experienced his first really bad storms and was absolutely petrified so I had to close all windows and curtains, turn the TV up and cuddle him.

S:)

Thank you for the snow pictures, Jeff. You live in the loveliest village in the land.

Sophia, I hope your dinner is not cut short by an outage. Happy Sunday to everyone.

Carolyn

We have had very nasty storms and the power did cut out several times, but thankfully after lunch!

My kids are currently down in Hampshire with the outlaws and have today been to Southampton and they've had storms also.

It seems strange to be building bigger houses and not increasing the space for a full refrigerator. With all the extra appliances you need to have to provide refrigeration it seems smarter to have the bigger fridge. Tony's love affair to his fridge was a very consistent theme throughout that wonderful series. We also waited until the series was over to watch the whole thing. We holed up for long periods of time!

I know real estate is extremely expensive in England, near London. My husband and I were looking in Marin near San Francisco last year to be near our sons and their families and it was another universe. The extra kick of it is we like southern California better than the Bay area. I know, heresy. But housing seems about twice the cost.

You deer looking into your window photo reminded me for some reason of a little ditty from the 1920s.

I went on up to the Audubon Zoo

And they only asked for you

They all asked for you

Well, even enquired about you

I went on up to the Audumon Zoo

And they all asked for you

The monkeys asked

The tigers asked

And the elephant asked f' you too.

Carolyn

That's made me giggle Carolyn! I love those old ditty's. My father recites a few, most of which are rather naughty!

On the subject of fridges and freezers....l live in a 1930's house and although l have quite a big kitchen there's still no room for one of those lovely American type one's. I have a built in fridge which l call my booze fridge...a larger fridge with a small freezer and an upright freezer in the utility room...just about adequate for my needs.

My kids bought a new build this year and all they have in their small kitchen is a combined built in fridge/freezer which l find incredible these days, Jeff is quite right, we haven't moved on at all!

S :)

Thank you Jeff, I will try. Haven't had time this afternoon as pup experienced his first really bad storms and was absolutely petrified so I had to close all windows and curtains, turn the TV up and cuddle him.

Hi,

Wish I understood what is going on! It's supposed to go through the West Country first, past us in Hampshire - then you. We've seen nothing yet and this is our beach cam in Devon and it's been like this all day.:confused:

Perfectly and silkily calm.

A94E8D66-8560-4BB5-8781-59CB92A81D57.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi Sophia,

Thunderstorms are nice times to cuddle with your pup, as long as he's not too anxious!

Perhaps you will be posting pictures here soon. That will be my inspiration.

Carolyn

I'm having problems with my new iPad so l need to get over to the apple store this week to sort it. Once I've done that l am determined to master the pictures as I so want to be able to share some.....:)

I'm having problems with my new iPad so l need to get over to the apple store this week to sort it. Once I've done that l am determined to master the pictures as I so want to be able to share some.....:)

Bleedin' get on with then.

I'm not bothered about pictures of you. I want pictures of that dog.

:)

Hi,

Wish I understood what is going on! It's supposed to go through the West Country first, past us in Hampshire - then you. We've seen nothing yet and this is our beach cam in Devon and it's been like this all day.:confused:

Perfectly and silkily calm.

A94E8D66-8560-4BB5-8781-59CB92A81D57.jpg

We live in a kind of dell here so miss much of the severe weather, but today the forecast was spot on.

I spoke to a friend in Chester this morning and they had experienced gales yesterday, yet here is was a lovely day with no wind at all.

The kids abandoned a trip to a bird sanctuary this morning because of heavy rain...hence the Soton trip for shopping! Plus they saw Queen Victoria berthed at the mayflower which really made me quite jealous!!

All dogs!! :rolleyes:......how l wish l could roll those puppy dog eyes....well, sometimes....

S :)

Don't you worry Sophie Gal, you'll always be Top Dog to me!

Todays pizza was because I couldn't face throwing away perfectly good dough ... and it was lovely again with a slug of Fino. The weather in Devon is still apparently sublime. The weather seemed to bypass the south.

76F84E18-7269-44C3-AFC9-A600C18C5CF8.jpg

8E1E66EB-9711-40D1-A3DF-3522C5973F60.jpg

Don't you worry Sophie Gal, you'll always be Top Dog to me!

Todays pizza was because I couldn't face throwing away perfectly good dough ... and it was lovely again with a slug of Fino. The weather in Devon is still apparently sublime. The weather seemed to bypass the south.

76F84E18-7269-44C3-AFC9-A600C18C5CF8.jpg

8E1E66EB-9711-40D1-A3DF-3522C5973F60.jpg

Damn good it all looks too....just had a tuna toasted here....:)