Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

May I contribute a quick cheap dish - probably most will already know it - of chicken thighs, bone in and skin on, marinated for a few hours in the fridge in greek yogurt with a teaspoonful of either harissa paste or thai curry paste and lemon juice then cooked skin side up in a fairly hot over for about 45 mins. I think thighs bone in are much more tender than breasts. (No innuendo please).

Sounds good,does the skin stay soft or does it crisp slightly,I ask this as I do not care for chicken skin unless it is well cooked.

Sounds good,does the skin stay soft or does it crisp slightly,I ask this as I do not care for chicken skin unless it is well cooked.

Yes - I was trying to keep this post fairly short: Spoon the marinade (which is obviously fairly thick) round the chicken, leaving the pieces skin down. Then put them skin side up on baking foil on a baking tray (the marinade goes a bit liquid during cooking) and the skin will be very brown and crisp. Did it last night with just a jacket potato, after a rather trying afternoon seeing medical people, with a cheap and cheerful but quite tasty Wolf Blass merlot. Cheered us up no end.:)

Yes - I was trying to keep this post fairly short: Spoon the marinade (which is obviously fairly thick) round the chicken, leaving the pieces skin down. Then put them skin side up on baking foil on a baking tray (the marinade goes a bit liquid during cooking) and the skin will be very brown and crisp. Did it last night with just a jacket potato, after a rather trying afternoon seeing medical people, with a cheap and cheerful but quite tasty Wolf Blass merlot. Cheered us up no end.:)

Good morning,

Lovely to hear of food+wine=cheering up :)

Medical people. Obviously this is not the place to discuss detail. Always trying times when "placing myslef in your hands ... doctor ..."

You maybe interested in reading about Cochrane Collaboration and the wonderful work these people do. Informed decision making. Or at least a better informed. Or a lot better. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochrane_Collaboration

http://www.cochrane.org/

May I change the subject once? Since this thread appears to have a preponderance of English ( as opposed to American) speakers I thought I might ask a few questions here.

I have been watching The Last Tango in Halifax recently with great enjoyment, both for the acting and the Northern English speech. I think the actors come from the London stage and do not speak with the Yorkshire accent. How well do they do the accent? Why are the daughters referred to "our Gillian" or "our Caroline"? If a person falls out of favor a bit is she then referred to as "your Gillian" and "your Caroline"? Is all this arbitrary? Is this usage only used for close family matters or are friends referred to in this way as well? This possessive is not really used in the USA.

Is addressing someone, even strangers, as "love" acceptable? I read somewhere that the authorities are trying to not have the English use that term when there is some big international event happening in England. I can't remember the details. I presume you would not address the Queen "hell-o love."

I am most interested in language and am intrigued by our linguistic differences. If anyone is inclined to state their opinions I would love to hear them!

Carolyn

May I change the subject once? Since this thread appears to have a preponderance of English ( as opposed to American) speakers I thought I might ask a few questions here.

I have been watching The Last Tango in Halifax recently with great enjoyment, both for the acting and the Northern English speech. I think the actors come from the London stage and do not speak with the Yorkshire accent. How well do they do the accent? Why are the daughters referred to "our Gillian" or "our Caroline"? If a person falls out of favor a bit is she then referred to as "your Gillian" and "your Caroline"? Is all this arbitrary? Is this usage only used for close family matters or are friends referred to in this way as well? This possessive is not really used in the USA.

Is addressing someone, even strangers, as "love" acceptable? I read somewhere that the authorities are trying to not have the English use that term when there is some big international event happening in England. I can't remember the details. I presume you would not address the Queen "hell-o love."

I am most interested in language and am intrigued by our linguistic differences. If anyone is inclined to state their opinions I would love to hear them!

Carolyn

Carolyn I do wish you'd posted this question as a new thread rather than on the Water Cooler. So many of us have some respondents on that site on the "ignore" list and may have missed your query. There are many English Cruise Critic people on the Silversea board who are qualified to answer your very interesting questions and I would love to hear their opinions. Perhaps they'll check in. I too am a fan of Last Tango in Halifax.

Thanks for your replies. I had not heard of "that" (spouse). Sounds a bit distancing. Are you saying perhaps it is Philadelphia Irish usage? Interesting.

I thought the topic would be best in this thread since it is welcoming of all topics unrelated to cruising. I don't know if the questions have any great moment but for me it is a bit of idle musings. Similar to noticing that the Brits are always collecting people and sorting things.

Carolyn I do wish you'd posted this question as a new thread rather than on the Water Cooler. So many of us have some respondents on that site on the "ignore" list and may have missed your query. There are many English Cruise Critic people on the Silversea board who are qualified to answer your very interesting questions and I would love to hear their opinions. Perhaps they'll check in. I too am a fan of Last Tango in Halifax.

Typical and how unnecessary and nasty. You and the people who you say you speak for and who "ignore" this thread and some of us here, previously constantly complained if we posted anything you and your cohorts claimed were "off topic" and created a rather nasty environment here. So in order to show respect for your wishes we (with Host Dan's agreement) started the WC for exactly this type of post and to avoid the nastiness elsewhere in the forum. Now you choose to repeat that behaviour here in this thread. The question has nothing to do with cruising or Silversea has it?

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Carolyn

Hello Carolyn,

Lovely question and clearly the perfect place to ask .... and I'm glad you enjoyed Last Tango In Halifax. We need questions like this ... hands across the sea and all that! :D

Your suspicions re acting are spot on. The actor truest to acting from the area is Anne Reid who became famous in the UK for her role in Coronation Street as Valerie Tatlock. Her background is ....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0717176/

Derek Jacobi is a Londoner.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001394/

The use of the word "our" is used to denote the person as being within "our" family. It isn't used to denote in normal usage anyone out of blood line. Sometimes it might be used humourously in a work environment when someone is having the urine taken ie "our derek always gets it wrong", but normally it is within family. The word "your Gillian" wouldn't be used. I have never heard the word "your" used in that way.

"Luv" on the other hand evokes extremely differing views and responses in the UK largely depending on where you are, how old you are and the context. There is (and this is a generalisation) for people to see it more acceptable and normal and genuine and sincere when the accent is from an older Northern person. It is sort of less acceptable South and is more associated with street traders from the East End or South of the river. This gives you a flavour rather than an accurate spot on. It is often used in a sarcastic way when someone has become unhappy and someone tries to defuse by using the word in the "come on Luv" type way and the regular repsonse to that is "Don't you "luv" me ...".

Wit respect to the queen, the instructions are pretty straightforward.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/GreetingamemberofTheRoyalFamily/Overview.aspx

1. Never speak first.

... then

On presentation to The Queen, the correct formal address is 'Your Majesty' and subsequently 'Ma'am'.

For male members of the Royal Family the same rules apply, with the title used in the first instance being 'Your Royal Highness' and subsequently 'Sir'.

Never anything less frormal .... except that is if you are Nelson Mandela.

It was said by his assistant recently in a book that she chastised him for calling the Queen "Elizabeth" on his first visit to the UK and he was a touch hurt and said "But she called me Nelson first ....."

I haven't done full justice to your question but ask away as Lux and Sophie will know more than me 'cos I'm from the East End ..........;)

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Lovely to see you on the water cooler.

I have grown up in the Shires so will try and help.

To call someone 'love' is what most of us here in Yorkshire think of as a term of endearment.

The most used welcome greeting in the county is quite simply 'Ay Up Duck' or

'Duckie'.

Some dialects are very local to a particular area. You may hear a very different accent in Harrogate than you would in say Barnsley. My late husband was very good at identifying folk from certain areas and he was a true Yorkshireman!

Within a family it is very common to refer to any member as 'our' so and so....as in ' Oh here's Our Susan' as an example.

Normally our Susan's husband or partner would be referred to as ' her Tommy' as in 'Here's Our Susan and Her Tommy'

I have never heard of anyone being called 'that'.

There is such etiquette to be observed when addressing the Queen as Jeff pointed out.

Whilst l don't mind being called love, duckie or even darling by those l know...which seems to be a popular greeting these days in certain circles :rolleyes: l do however become rather annoyed when shop assistants or waiters call me so as it then becomes a tad too personal from folk l don't know.

There was some controversy some years ago about this particularly in the work place but as far as l am aware nobody made a big issue over it apart from some powers that be.

Sophia:)

Our nina (immediate family), that Fred (her spouse). Philadelphia Irish-ism, I believe. Yes to your query.

To refer to someone's spouse/ partner as 'That' would be considered an insult up here in Yorkshire and actually meant with some malice.

My late mother in law hated me with a passion and would always greet my husband and l with....' Oh, here's Our David with 'That wife of his'.

Happy Days....

Sophia :)

This is a perfect question for the Water Cooler, surely if Carolyn had posted this on the main board it would have been considered off topic...no :confused:

Just saying

Tut Tut,

Behave yourself if you are going to post on the coolest thread on the boards.:D

Carolyn I do wish you'd posted this question as a new thread rather than on the Water Cooler. So many of us have some respondents on that site on the "ignore" list and may have missed your query.

I don't wish to be at all pedantic, but the reference to 'that site' is a typical example of the said word being discussed in or out of its context.

The Boss made me buy some new telephones which arrived today from Amazon.

In the old days you'd buy a phone and simply plug it into the socket. Not even the sniff of a power line or batteries.

You'd pick up the phone and dial a number and as soon as you'd dialled enough numbers it would know and automatically ring and someone at the other end would pick the phone up and you'd talk. When you'd finished, you would simply put the phone down ... job done.

These new phones have come with a manual as thick as The Bible. I have spent all day trying to programme them. To dial a number you first have to get it into the right mood by telling it in advance you are going to dial a number. After you have entered the numbers you then have to tell it to start dialling. When you have finished you have to tap another button to disconnect you. And there a are thousands of options. There's the wallpaper to be chosen, special ring tones for your enemies. You can even dial the boss in the lounge to save you getting up and walking there.

At the end of the manual, it said they wouldn't work if there was a power failure so I'll need to keep the old phones. I am totally defeated.

:confused:

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

The Boss made me buy some new telephones which arrived today from Amazon.

In the old days you'd buy a phone and simply plug it into the socket. Not even the sniff of a power line or batteries.

You'd pick up the phone and dial a number and as soon as you'd dialled enough numbers it would automatically ring and someone at the other end would pick the phone up and you'd talk.

These new phones have come with a manual as thick as The Bible. I have spent all day trying to programme them. At the end of the manual, it said they wouldn't work if there was a power failure so I'll need to keep the old phones. I am totally defeated.

:confused:

Yes Jeff,I do know the problem.

I cannot remember the last time that I used the land line phone as I always use my mobile.

What delicacies were dished up at your table today?

Yes Jeff,I do know the problem.

I cannot remember the last time that I used the land line phone as I always use my mobile.

What delicacies were dished up at your table today?

I don't have a mobile phone like other people. It is a principle. I hate them There is only one viable function for them. I have one in the Merc, and it is in constant touch with the factory and arranges the hire car and trailer as and when we get close to Stonehenge. The Merc is spooked by Stonehenge.

It was a burger of a day today,

What about you?

I don't have a mobile phone like other people. It is a principle. I hate them There is only one viable function for them. I have one in the Merc, and it is in constant touch with the factory and arranges the hire car and trailer as and when we get close to Stonehenge. The Merc is spooked by Stonehenge.

It was a burger of a day today,

What about you?

The usual porridge,no lunch,cold salmon fillet and salad

Yesterday saw the arrival of Frantic 36,Julie and Keith

We met them at Heathrow with two vehicles and our driver,one for the luggage and the Phantom to take them to The Corinthia Hotel.

We then did some Jermyn Street shopping followed by a lovely lunch at The Goring Hotel and enjoyed sitting outside in the garden square.

Edited by Mr Luxury

The usual porridge,no lunch,cold salmon fillet and salad

Yesterday saw the arrival of Frantic 36,Julie and Keith

We met them at Heathrow with two vehicles and our driver,one for the luggage and the Phantom to take them to The Corinthia Hotel.

We then did some Jermyn Street shopping followed by a lovely lunch at The Goring Hotel and enjoyed sitting outside in the garden square.

Crikey Lux, I had forgotten you were meeting Julie, I'm sure you are entertaining them well, if l recall you had many eateries set up which will be lovely.

Any chance of 'lending' me your driver in October for my transfer from the city to Sofitel at Heathrow..;)

Have fun

S:)