Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

S - I will be interested on your thoughts about BDA and how it has changed - especially Hamilton - so sad.

M

M, I vowed I'd never go back because I had such a wonderful seven months there every week and made so many local friends....all of whom I've sadly lost touch with.

The ship l worked on was well loved and it was a very sad day way back in October 1971 when we pulled away for the final time, not a dry eye in the house and the return to NY was very emotional also as we then became a ghost ship for our return to Soton with a skeleton crew....it was very eerie, but something I'll always remember as a time when l fell in love with the sea when we crossed the North Atlantic and the icebergs were bigger than the ship. That final run also made me sit up and learn that one has to respect the ocean as we diverted in response to an SOS call from a ship on fire and had to launch our lifeboats to assist...which is why l never miss muster now and indeed become rather annoyed when other passengers think of it as a chore.

So, returning to the island is going to be very emotional, but I am prepared..l think...and if l don't like it I'll just get back on board for a very large chocolate martini....;)

S:)

Hiya Sophia,

Rarely has a cruise been so richly deserved and anticipated. From what you posted here earlier ... this is a bit of a line drawn from the past and moving on and I'm so looking forward to you sharing your enjoyment of the cruise. :) With lots of piccies.

Wifey for some reason always says my sandwiches are wonderful and hers are poo. This is difficult to believe but she has never made me a sandwich. I think it's her way of doing what all gals are good at and that is 100% control over us blokes. :rolleyes:

On the wider front, I believe the best thing I ever learned about food presentation is simple, apart that is from cooking a decent meal. The secret is a very large, (very, very large) pure white elegant plates. I am obsessed with large white thin plates. They are really diffiuclt to find. But a large white plate without decoration allows the food to speak for itself if it can. Even a humble sandwich.

Am I wrong or am I wrong?

:D

Terry, thanks for taking the trouble of posting your Oz piccies ..... they are lovely.

DSC01214X.jpg

Appreciate so much your night visuals from Sydney Harbor. Brings back great memories from being there in January.

Since Jeff has posted some food visuals, here are two fun visuals from Sidney as we were docked there overnight.

Isn't it nice to have visitors and friends in Australia?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 75,500 views for this fun posting.

From our cruise ship balcony on the port side in Sydney's scenic harbor, we had great and up-close views of their spectacular Bridge and historic Rocks area. Plus, after our first breakfast there, here are views of an Aussie feathered bird friend paying a nice visit to our dining table and working hard to help "clean up"!! Fun!!:

SydneyDepartSolstice22_zps7cb66258.jpg

SydneyDepartSolstice18_zpse98e33ec.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Lovely Bird pictures Terry. Thanks.

You reminded me.

In Botainc Gardens, which is behind Quay Grand and the Opera House, is a very very large collection of noisy messy fruit bats. Considered a bit of a pest. I often thought they had more in common with us Brits than Australians, on the basis that as they hung upside down whilst in Oz from the trees they were the only Ozzies that were the right way up from the viewpoint of us in the Northern Hemisphere, if you get my drift. Anyway. That aside. Every night at twilight, all the bats would vacate the trees in Botanic and fly over us and over Circular Quay to somewhere else. All at the same moment together. It was quite a sight.

Jeff

Lovely Bird pictures Terry. Thanks. You reminded me. In Botainc Gardens, which is behind Quay Grand and the Opera House, is a very very large collection of noisy messy fruit bats. Considered a bit of a pest. I often thought they had more in common with us Brits than Australians, on the basis that as they hung upside down whilst in Oz from the trees they were the only Ozzies that were the right way up from the viewpoint of us in the Northern Hemisphere, if you get my drift. Anyway. That aside. Every night at twilight, all the bats would vacate the trees in Botanic and fly over us and over Circular Quay to somewhere else. All at the same moment together. It was quite a sight. Jeff

Appreciate Jeff's interesting Botainc Gardens posting/details from Sydney. We didn't have a chance to visit there, but it would be on a future "to-do" listing.

LONDON QUESTION: Was with a good friend yesterday who is taking her 20-year-old grandson and family to London later this month. Both she and we have been to London previously. Know the "usual suspects" there. BUT, any special, new updates, other ideas? Especially for a 20-year-old males going there for the first time during a five-day period?

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 41,463 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

What are there interests Terry?

Appreciate Jeff's follow-up. As I noted, it would be what we called in America as the "usual suspects" there in London. Tower of London, WWII/Churchill War Rooms, St. Paul's, Harrod's, etc., etc. He's a 20-year-old who has never been to London. Some history, architecture, food, etc. BUT, a person that young is not quite as much into things too historic and/or too boring. Does this help?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 23,959 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Appreciate Jeff's follow-up. As I noted, it would be what we called in America as the "usual suspects" there in London. Tower of London, WWII/Churchill War Rooms, St. Paul's, Harrod's, etc., etc. He's a 20-year-old who has never been to London. Some history, architecture, food, etc. BUT, a person that young is not quite as much into things too historic and/or too boring. Does this help?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 23,959 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

In a way Terry, it confuses a bit more, as I'd never suggested Harrods for a couple of 20 year old lads except to look at some upper crust girls who work there! :confused: I lived in London when I was twenty and all I can remember was that it was night time! :D

Is it art or music or ... what? Anything more specific will help me to help. Also, ... if they happen to be gay then there is quite a vibrant scene for me to direct them to.

Splurging out or tight budget?

Also do you have some specific dates.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

In a way Terry, it confuses a bit more, as I'd never suggested Harrods for a couple of 20 year old lads except to look at some upper crust girls who work there! :confused: I lived in London when I was twenty and all I can remember was that it was night time! Is it art or music or ... what? Anything more specific will help me to help. Also, ... if they happen to be gay then there is quite a vibrant scene for me to direct them to. Splurging out or tight budget? Also do you have some specific dates.

Sorry, Jeff, for any confusion I might have created. It's for an active and fairly-well world-traveled 80's grandmother who has been to London three times previously, her daughter and the 20-year-old grandson/son. NOT, two 20-year-old lads. He's visiting London the UK for the first time. Not seeking the "party scene". Just good, solid midwestern folks wanting to sample the basic sights. They will be there the last few days of September in about three or so weeks.

Appreciate any tips, new things to consider, etc.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 20,998 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Hiya Sophia,

Rarely has a cruise been so richly deserved and anticipated. From what you posted here earlier ... this is a bit of a line drawn from the past and moving on and I'm so looking forward to you sharing your enjoyment of the cruise. :) With lots of piccies.

Wifey for some reason always says my sandwiches are wonderful and hers are poo. This is difficult to believe but she has never made me a sandwich. I think it's her way of doing what all gals are good at and that is 100% control over us blokes. :rolleyes:

On the wider front, I believe the best thing I ever learned about food presentation is simple, apart that is from cooking a decent meal. The secret is a very large, (very, very large) pure white elegant plates. I am obsessed with large white thin plates. They are really diffiuclt to find. But a large white plate without decoration allows the food to speak for itself if it can. Even a humble sandwich.

Am I wrong or am I wrong?

Such kind words Jeff, thank you. This is a special one and l know I'll enjoy it come what. I shall be happy to share the journey....it's starting right now for me with only seven weeks to go, always the best time I think...the lead up to it all.

You are of course quite right about the plates....presentation is most important

and I'm also a fan of the plain white ones....the larger the better...!

I have a very irritating (to the kids) habit of liking a plate l see in a restaurant and then starting a search to buy....:rolleyes:

Sorry, Jeff, for any confusion I might have created. It's for an active and fairly-well world-traveled 80's grandmother who has been to London three times previously, her daughter and the 20-year-old grandson/son. NOT, two 20-year-old lads. He's visiting London the UK for the first time. Not seeking the "party scene". Just good, solid midwestern folks wanting to sample the basic sights. They will be there the last few days of September in about three or so weeks.

Appreciate any tips, new things to consider, etc.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 20,998 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Thanks Terry,

My misunderstanding. How mobile walking-wise is the 80 year old? Interested in art, history?

Jeff

Such kind words Jeff, thank you. This is a special one and l know I'll enjoy it come what. I shall be happy to share the journey....it's starting right now for me with only seven weeks to go, always the best time I think...the lead up to it all.

You are of course quite right about the plates....presentation is most important

and I'm also a fan of the plain white ones....the larger the better...!

I have a very irritating (to the kids) habit of liking a plate l see in a restaurant and then starting a search to buy....:rolleyes:

:)

I was tempted to do the gherkin test and photograph and post. Place the same gherkin on different plates and you will be amazed out how different they appear and how the attractiveness changes.

Also people often forget to simply wipe spills off plates before serving.

Seven weeks ...... almost tomorrow. :D Is this a complete break from the lodger?

jeff

Thanks Terry, My misunderstanding. How mobile walking-wise is the 80 year old? Interested in art, history? Jeff

The grandmother is actually going to be 87 years young later this month. BUT, is brighter, more involve, hype active and so totally sharp to an amazing degree for anybody of any age. More so than most people in their early 60's or late 50's. Amazing!!! Just spent an hour and twenty minutes with her yesterday. To protect her identity, I cannot tell too much more or I would compromise that privacy. She's interested and experienced in history and government, but clearly she gives me the idea that her 20-year-old grandson does not have too much depth of an attention-span to do an excessive amount of London's great museums and art.

I'll check more, but hopefully this helps clarify some.

The grandmother is actually going to be 87 years young later this month. BUT, is brighter, more involve, hype active and so totally sharp to an amazing degree for anybody of any age. More so than most people in their early 60's or late 50's. Amazing!!! Just spent an hour and twenty minutes with her yesterday. To protect her identity, I cannot tell too much more or I would compromise that privacy. She's interested and experienced in history and government, but clearly she gives me the idea that her 20-year-old grandson does not have too much depth of an attention-span to do an excessive amount of London's great museums and art.

Terry,

Some initial ideas.

She might be interested in visiting the Houses Of Parliament:

http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/

... perhaps including afternoon tea on the Terrace ...

http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/tours-of-parliament/tours-teas-of-parliament/

..... Buckingahm Palace State Rooms .... and Royal Collection .. open until the end of September.

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/the-state-rooms-buckingham-palace

I would also suggest having a wander around truly Dickensian London ... still has gas lamps etc ... great on a Sunday when no one is working.

http://www.middletemple.org.uk/home/

Also, the area of South Bank between Waterloo Bridge and Royal Festival Hall is very cosmoppolitan and sometimes missed ... perhaps even walking as far as The Globe.

http://southbanklondon.com/

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/

They may be interested in seeing the Olympic Village ...

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/queen-elizabeth-olympic-park

Dennis Severs House wopuld be wonderful if she could make it ...

http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/

..... and don't overlook The National Gallery which is free and my favourite gallery anywhere.

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/rembrandt-the-late-works?gclid=Cj0KEQjwm6CgBRC0zOmrydrqmosBEiQA_xoLRhOorcz_Z_PTomhKRtdn5S1SJfUSO71Dwf3Y0mBnuwMaAk2a8P8HAQ

... and The Museum of London is wonderful ...

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/

Some starters. What do you think?

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

:)

I was tempted to do the gherkin test and photograph and post. Place the same gherkin on different plates and you will be amazed out how different they appear and how the attractiveness changes.

Also people often forget to simply wipe spills off plates before serving.

Seven weeks ...... almost tomorrow. :D Is this a complete break from the lodger?

jeff

Oh yes....a total break....but I'll miss the pup dreadfully....;)

Hi Terry,

For the young man in the party have a look at this.....http://www.thamesribexperience.com

My kids did this last year and loved it.....maybe Grandmother would enjoy also from what you've said.

Sophia :)

Hi Terry,

For the young man in the party have a look at this.....www.thamesribexperience.com

My kids did this last year and loved it.....maybe Grandmother would enjoy also from what you've said.

Sophia :)

The moment I read your post I was immediately propelled backwards to my previous career ... and remember clearly the day this was realeased .....

Terry, Some initial ideas.

..... and don't overlook The National Gallery which is free and my favourite gallery anywhere.

Some starters. What do you think? Jeff

YES!! Super WOW listing of wonderful ideas for London. Agree totally that the National Gallery is awesome and super classy with a location that is very handy and central. Below is one of my pictures from being there in 2006 after the Greek Isles and Istanbul Appreciate your great efforts. Have forwarded these to my friend and will seek more info about her grandson's more specific interests.

Your list and links makes me want to take off right now to London. BUT, we've got to go down to Virginia and take care of our grandsons for a few days early next week. Will save it for future use.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 75,500 views for this fun posting.

At the National Gallery on the handy and central Trafalgar Square, they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works. Admission is free! Priceless!!:

LondNatGallery.jpg

YES!! Super WOW listing of wonderful ideas for London. Agree totally that the National Gallery is awesome and super classy with a location that is very handy and central. Below is one of my pictures from being there in 2006 after the Greek Isles and Istanbul Appreciate your great efforts. Have forwarded these to my friend and will seek more info about her grandson's more specific interests.

Your list and links makes me want to take off right now to London. BUT, we've got to go down to Virginia and take care of our grandsons for a few days early next week. Will save it for future use.

At the National Gallery on the handy and central Trafalgar Square, they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works. Admission is free! Priceless!!:

LondNatGallery.jpg

Terry,

For what it's worth, my list makes me want to head straight for London. You may take the boy out of London, but you never take London out of the boy. I love London so much ....

I spy, with my little eye a couple of Canelettos .... in the background.

Hope she has a great trip and some of the ideas tantalises her travel buds. Ask anything more you want.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi Terry, For the young man in the party have a look at this.....http://www.thamesribexperience.com

My kids did this last year and loved it.....maybe Grandmother would enjoy also from what you've said. Sophia :)

Appreciate this great tip from Sophia. Will share that great potential, also. From her, I got this added background/info on her grandson:

"My grandson is probably the average 20 year old. He likes activity and will not be a big fan of museums unless its something like the War Rooms. I forgot that Buckingham Palace does tours in September. Thanks for the reminder."

Keep it coming!! All very good and interesting. You're making me look smart as having such wonderful information sources.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 156,296 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

Keep it coming!! All very good and interesting. You're making me look smart as having such wonderful information sources.

Terry .... of course you are smart! You ask us Coolies ......:D

Ocado has come and gone. Lamb Kofta kebabs today with pitta and salad, steak and mushroom pie and new pots Saturday, and sweet chilli (already marinading) pork belly possibly even with crackling depending on the skill with chow mein on Sunday .... isn't if funny how all the best meals use the cheapest cuts .... I so love pork belly.

Yesterdays lunch and desert ..............

A4BF9E00-89B3-4A1F-B7F9-C9EFD3418A6D_1.jpg

71D4862F-C1F2-47CA-93D3-57D8E873A490.jpg

I'll have the wine please - not a huge fan of pies and pastry items and def not potato.

S if you let me have a few names of folks in Bda I can probably tell you if they're still around.... and possibly where to find them! (mw8811@gmail.com)

Started sunny this morning gone rapidly downhill but still warmish. Still grappling with garden and cleared a border this morning with the help of my little robin redbreast who seems to have adopted me! He comes to within a foot of me when I'm digging - so cute.

Now to persuade DH we have to go on a walk of at least 4 miles as we've not done any walking this week....

M