Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Happy Birthday Jeff! Enjoy the seaside.

Filling wellies with wine - fortunately not needed for anything else (yet) as ground here resembles concrete LOL

Busy day here with more bureaucratic "stuff" for want of a better word - why you change your info with one dept and it can't be changed system-wide is nuts to me. More copies of passport etc needed. Oh well I suppose it keeps someone employed.

M

Thanks so much for the good wishes from all. It is so lovely. :D

We were watching the West Wing, and I'd forgot until wifey said Happy Birthday.

I hope people don't mind me adding to my last note about Joe Sample the sad addition that Bob Crewe has also left the mixing desk for the very last time. He was a very talented writer and all of us have been brought up on his compositions, possibly without knowing his name. I admire more than anything the ability to write music and lyrics that change a mood and entirely from the imagination and thin air. His parties were legendary, and rather than try to bribe DJs to play his stuff, he'd get them drunk instead. He was also a significant supporter of gay rights.

I guess I better get on and enjoy life - as all of us should.

Tonight I am hoping for a delivered curry and we've been having champers on the balcony, trying hard not to think of Frank Salmond And Emily Sturging.

Thanks again for the thoughts. It's lovely.

Jeff:)

on email coming out of the UK in light of the election?

Its been so quiet at the water cooler.

I am treading lightly here so as not to offend or make any political gaffe.

Just sayin', it is very, very ominously QUIET.

Hi Spin,

Fear not.....no need to tread lightly....it's the Scottish vote today for their independence or not....it's brought on a huge debate and unsettled many and also brought many out of the political woodwork....I just think what will be will be and so take little notice!

I'm beginning to get pre cruise fever and seem to be running around like a blue bottomed fly...trying to tie up the final arrangements both for the trip and here at home....hoping for a quieter weekend!!

How is the retirement going?

S:)

was if you forget to pack it, just buy it. I think she purposefully forgot a lot of things...

So if you forget something just buy it, and then you'll need to buy another valise !!!

Retirement is ok. I have not figured out how to NOT work at a fever pitch.

I feel that I must accomplish something every day otherwise...

I have now come to the understanding that there really is no consequence if i don't accomplish a goal every day. So I am trying to slow down a little.

My home office was a repository for 14 years of stuff. This "stuff" seems to have spilled over into other rooms.

How did that happen? I am not entirely sure.

There is a lot of stuff everywhere.

It is overwhelming.:eek:

Hi Spin and all,

Today is a particularly stressful day here in the UK.

The Scots are voting for independence and it is going to be very close. I say Scots but therein lies a fair chunk of the problem.

In fact anyone who has registered to vote in Scotland is voting, and for example that includes any temporary EU or Commonwealth residents. This has turned this into a bit of a farce. A terrible, terrible farce.

If this were not enough the vote has been extended to include 16 and 17 years olds for the first time. You might conclude that with the absence of life experience and without all the inhibitions that comes with experience and questions concerning practicality - 16 year olds might be more likely to vote yes than no.

The combined effect of these two factors means that a 16 year old East-European student currently studying in Edinburgh who possibly speaks little or no English and has no long term interest in this issue after their studies end can vote. You may assume that these people are more like to vote yes for independence. You may also think that some of these "visitors" might also have taken umbrage at the rather negative EU stance the English has taken towards the EU. What a way of poking the English in the eye if you are a 16 year old French student studying in Glasgow for a year?

To make things really fair, Scottish people currently living elsewhere, perhaps in England and not having a base in Scotland cannot vote.

So if you are a Scots Guard based in Catterick prepared to give your life to fight for your country you would be registered to vote in UK elections from your home in Catterick. So you will not be voting. If you are a pensioner collecting a British pension and living in Cyprus for a few months and have no base in Scotland, you will not vote. If you are a Scottish student studying in Brussels for a year, you will not vote.

This may not have seemed much of a problem a few years ago when the SNP seemed to have won the "who votes" battle but now it seems that this issue is so close that it will be decided on the basis of those that shouldn't be able to vote having a vote and those that should have a vote not being allowed to vote.

I am not even going to start about how the yes campaign has been conducted.

So, in past some of us are a touch concerned at the moment!

:)

was if you forget to pack it, just buy it. I think she purposefully forgot a lot of things...

So if you forget something just buy it, and then you'll need to buy another valise !!!

Retirement is ok. I have not figured out how to NOT work at a fever pitch.

I feel that I must accomplish something every day otherwise...

I have now come to the understanding that there really is no consequence if i don't accomplish a goal every day. So I am trying to slow down a little.

My home office was a repository for 14 years of stuff. This "stuff" seems to have spilled over into other rooms.

How did that happen? I am not entirely sure.

There is a lot of stuff everywhere.

It is overwhelming.:eek:

I do try and think like your mother spin!! Honestly! A lot of it boils down to travelling alone and needing to be organised....my kids do remind me that I'm not going to Outer Mongolia! Once the two cases go on ahead I'll relax a bit...!

My retirement came about quite gradually so I didn't really have to worry about slowing down entirely...but l can understand how frustrating it must be when you've been very active. I really wouldn't like to be back in the workplace now...a sign of getting older l guess!

On the other side of the penny....my mothers motto was...if you want help with anything ...always ask a busy woman!

S:)

Jeff:

Even with the distance of the ocean between us and the cyberspace, I could sense the stress. It is palpable.

Add that to the stress of other threats and it is more than disquieting.

Personally, I don't think I have ever felt more stressed ever.

The ability of politicians to fight wars when no one wants them to and refuse to fight wars when a great many would support them is perplexing. The pox on the world of Islamism (NOT Islam) is going to effect all our lives terribly unless we mandate something is done. I remember when Americans felt uncomfortable about traveling, and you have seen nothing yet.

And the Scottish issue is going to potentially break apart a really important long-term relationship in my view needlessly and undemocratically. I have never seen a better example of the polarising of nationalism versus patriotism. It is basically those two groups with another group voting who have absolutely no right to be.

Anyway ... as they say .... good to see you working out your new found leisure.

yes Jeff.

It is terrifying, but just what those who perpetuate terror want, and in the hopes that those who do not ascribe to their beliefs will be crippled by fear and stress.

I agree. Terrible.

With respect to Scotland we may have considerable turbulence ahead with very far reaching unintended consequences.

For those interested in these things, might I hypothesise that a no vote now could have so many unplanned and unfortunate and totally unexpected consequences, the best thing for the rest of the UK might be better off with a yes vote?

I wonder whether this might be the perfect environment for the first time that Westminster whipping might completely break down. In the current shambolic coalition environment, when every MP feels both impotent, at odds with all leaderships, and at high voting risk and with the increasing sentiment that amongst a growing number of rest of UK that on a no, Scotland should have " no more ", I wonder whether a small number of MPs refusing to support the leaders of the three parties undemocratic promises may start an avalanche of rebellious MPs revolt and stop future efforts to fulfil promises ahead of any wider debate about devolution UK wide?

And if UKIP led that rebellion ie got in first with their disapproval and be seen to be leading the "no more" debate - might the next general election produce a totally unexpected swing further their way than in their current wildest dreams. Could this be the protest vote of all protest votes?

Just speculating on the interesting laws of unintended consequences.

So if you are a Scots Guard based in Catterick prepared to give your life to fight for your country you would be registered to vote in UK elections from your home in Catterick.

As a serviceman you have the choice to retain a postal vote in the constituency from which you were recruited.

If you are a pensioner collecting a British pension and living in Cyprus for a few months and have no base in Scotland, you will not vote. If you are a Scottish student studying in Brussels for a year, you will not vote.

You retain the right to vote from your last electoral roll location for 15 years after leaving the country

As a serviceman you have the choice to retain a postal vote in the constituency from which you were recruited.

You retain the right to vote from your last electoral roll location for 15 years after leaving the country

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

If a serviceman or expat does not currently qualify as resident in Scotland they cannot register to vote. If they can establish that they are permanently resident in Scotland but are temporarily elsewhere then they can vote in person or take a postal vote. I have no idea where you have read or heard about a 15 year grace period.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

If a serviceman or expat does not currently qualify as resident in Scotland they cannot register to vote. If they can establish that they are permanently resident in Scotland but are temporarily elsewhere then they can vote in person or take a postal vote. I have no idea where you have read or heard about a 15 year grace period.

Ah. The system has clearly changed since I left the Military where you were deemed resident in the place of recruitment and retained a postal vote unless opting to change to another area. The latter point I know from living as an expat and voting in UK under the 15 year rule. After 15 years you need to re-establish residence.

Mind you, with the referendum I shouldn't be surprised if the established practices have been modified as with the reduction of voting age.

Edited by Tothesunset

Polling closed. Place your bets ....

I know I always get it wrong but 55% no ... or even more .... and 45% yes .....

Pluck up courage .. fingers crossed!

:).

Jeff ... Did you have some insider information or just an educated guess ?

Jeff ... Did you have some insider information or just an educated guess ?

Thanks.

As you may have read everyone else was predicting it much closer. I know you can make a complete idiot of yourself but I think you should always follow your instinct and have the courage to say so. In this situation it was tough to number it as there was no history, a lot of first time voters and the nos were reticent to declare intentions before . It just felt like 55/45ish.

I guess it helps that we started an MR consultancy ..... and one sort of develops an instinct for these things.

We're left with somewhat of a mess with this stuff now with promises and expectations being made undemocratically and actually may not receive a mandate.

Still at least Brenda is happy!

I think Jeff was counting...

It was odd when I said "55% or even more" I was genuinely thinking of 55.5% but recognised that saying so would make me look a complete plonker. 55.3% was close enough.

We at least now know that from the way this was played around half of Scotland hate us .....:D

For those abroad, Alex Salmond has just resigned as First Minister of Scotland and leader of the SNP. Good riddance.

If the approach had been more along the lines it did, but instead of gloss they took the line of "i'm not going to mislead you, this is going to be tough, very tough, but it will be worth it. We cannot resolve currency today, but I believe whatever they say now we will find a way ....." the degree of candour and showing that you understand and grasp the size and scope of the challenge would have I believe given them more of the concerned into being a touch more confident and wishing to give it a punt and give them the swing of 6% they needed without losing any of the current yes's. He simply over estimated his charisma and misjudged scepticism. He was badly advised, but I calculate he doesn't take advice.

It was somewhat ironic to hear the Newsnight debate la couple of nights ago when the yes side was shouting that Scotland had never had the slightest influence on that nasty Westminster government and I was shouting at the television " A Scottish MP became our bleedin' last Prime Minister, and he replaced a long serving Prime Minister born in Edinburgh and who managed to get labour back into power for a very long time ... it felt ........"

Two consecutive Scottish Prime Ministers out of the last two.

My wife told me to stop shouting at the television as she believed they couldn't hear me, so I shut up for a while.

Good Morning All,

I also am very pleased with the Scotland result even though l do take little notice....only because l leave it to those who know far more about politics than l do and ever will !!

Happy that the weekend is here so l can enjoy some chill time after a mad hatter week! At least we have the return of Downton Abbey to look forward to tomorrow evening..:D

Hopefully Jeff will post some pics from the balcony offerings.....:p

Sophia :)