Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Hello everyone

Not posted for a few days; a busy week and DH a health problem hopefully now nearly sorted.

Also so pleased about the Scotland result - I wonder if I was the only person who did not feel it was a very serious matter to start, and gradually got more and more concerned (and angry about some of the twisted half-truths) about it. Just hope they all try to get on well now - and if the Scots get more 'devo-max' the rest of us will as well.

Does anyone remember Coronation Chicken? I have been making it recently for lunch visitors, and we all really enjoy it again. Presumably it goes back to the fifties?

Looking forward to some more foodie pics to take our minds off the troubles of the world.

LL

Hello everyone

Not posted for a few days; a busy week and DH a health problem hopefully now nearly sorted.

Does anyone remember Coronation Chicken? I have been making it recently for lunch visitors, and we all really enjoy it again. Presumably it goes back to the fifties?

Looking forward to some more foodie pics to take our minds off the troubles of the world.

LL

I do remember coronation chicken and l love it! It was created for the Coronation l believe, so yes the fifties.

Marks and Spencer do a nice one but it's expensive for a small dish. I like it on a baked potato....be interested for your recipe LL...:)

Old fashioned pork chops today (with the rind on..:eek:) with home fries and peas.....as my holiday gets closer I'm feeling less than enthusiastic in the galley!

As l mentioned Downton earlier I have just read that Kim Kardashian or whatever her name is ....is hoping for a part....how dreadful is that thought and what will Dame Maggie think....:( the same article also stated that Clooney is doing a bit part for the Xmas special....at least a nice bit of eye candy...I guess :rolleyes:

S:)

Good afternoon fellow campers and Coolies,

Well we got through yesterday and wifey's birthday. Isn't it eerie that everyone on the losing Scottish side is named after a fish. There must be a lesson there somewhere.

Coronation Chicken is a great topping for a jacket potato.

I'm so pleased my postings about what is currently on the end of our forks and shortly going to be in the gob amuses ... but to be honest I feel a touch miffed and lonely that no one else is taking the trouble and posting any pictures. Not just food. Walks or anything trivial will do. Happy to continue as long as it is a bit more of a joint effort rather than a one man band! Not complaining .... just sayin' :D

Guess you can tell what represents each day .....

E5988293-59B1-4133-918B-B1181F0AC8BA.jpg

6CDB6951-1A2D-4001-AF00-16054B83A203.jpg

37C4E112-F416-4249-B299-0A1713540B56.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks for letting me off the hook (oops, apologies) a bit Perfectionist - I am truly and honestly virtually incapable of using either a camera or the computer; anything more complicated than just posting has me flummoxed.

I can however do my Coronation Chicken recipe for Sophia:

Mix some mayo (Hellmans for me) and equal quantity greek yogurt or sour cream, with 1 to 2 teaspoons curry paste or even powder, mango chutney (pref. Geetas) and apricot jam to taste. Add bite sized pieces of cooked cold chicken (last time I used the cold half of the one we had hot roasted the day before). Toast some flaked almonds and sprinkle on. (The apricot jam does make a nice difference). I serve it not on a jacket, but just with green salad and buttered warm baguette or tiger stick. You can put some dried fruit in, sultanas etc. but not for me. Sorry no picture, not that it is very photogenic but it tastes good. LL

Jeff, I do sympathise that you are the only picture correspondent here so I'm going to try and see if it works. Here is a dessert from the 20th Anniversary Lunch aboard the Silver Spirit in April before we departed FLL for Barcelona.

As another frequent larger picture poster on these CC boards, below are my tips for getting the larger ones up and posted on these boards. Below are a couple examples from pictures taken this weekend of international visitors to our home and community. Love cruising as a way to learn more about the amazing world around us. BUT, unfortunately, we cannot be doing Silversea to land-locked Serbia with its well-known capital of Belgrade. But, maybe a Danube River cruise as that famed river goes through their Serbia capital.

For posting larger photos to these boards, your FIRST STEP is pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc. SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc. THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop. FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would, FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below. You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

Let us know any added question or technical help we can provide.

We are continuing to plan our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Silver Cloud Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. Fun doing that future research!! Weather is prefect in the Midwest today, but by January, we will be ready to escape the cold and snow.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 158,066 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This week in Columbus, Ohio, we have visiting members of the Parliament of Serbia. Two of the National Assembly members, including the Vice Speaker, are staying at our home. Fun and interesting!!! Have not, yet, been to Serbia, but we visited in June 2011 both neighboring Croatia and Montenegro. Loved both countries and their super historic and scenic areas of Dubrovnik, Kotor, etc. From the top picture, I arranged for them to visit a local TV/political show that I often do. It is called "Columbus on the Record" at WOSU-TV, a part of the major state university here in Ohio. They watched from the high-tech control room to see how the program involving media and political experts was done. They are shown in this picture visiting the set with the News Director/show host of this program. The second picture shows them at the COSI or Center of Science and Industry where the TV studio is located.:

SerbParliamentA1_zpsfcebf977.jpg

SerbParliamentA2_zps2e96cec0.jpg

Had to stop by and get my dose of good food and an "English" lesson. May I ask what Coronation Chicken is? Since it apparently a good topping for a potato, is that what the potato in the photograph is topped with? I hadn't thought of pairing champagne and potatoes -- might give it a try.

Had to stop by and get my dose of good food and an "English" lesson. May I ask what Coronation Chicken is? Since it apparently a good topping for a potato, is that what the potato in the photograph is topped with? I hadn't thought of pairing champagne and potatoes -- might give it a try.

RC

TC2 -IMO (although other Brits would disagree) it is NOT a topping for a baked potato but an item in its own right, I believe invented for people to have for lunch on the day of QE2's coronation, and eaten essentially just with salad - as my recipe would suggest. We personally would be drinking a white wine with it- maybe a sauv. blanc. I hadn't realised that others used it as a topping for a baked potato, until I heard this from Jeff and Sophia. I should add that I am fairly ancient and very old-fashioned! But do think mine is the nicest way to eat it - not very curried, just a hint. Over to you, J and S.;)

Champagne can be paired with anything and everything. We had a bottle this week with a bacon and chip sandwich. But tat is only because I am a working class slob. :eek:

The talk of jacket potatoes caught me at a vulnerable moment whilst we are down here at Seaside, on The Balcony. I had bought some Desiree simply because they were half priced. So these were bacon, braised onion, Red Leicester and butter stuffed and double baked. Light lunch.

Tonight was another bottle of champers with some delivered curry on The Balcony.

:)

Good evening coolies ..... signing off from The Balcony ......:)

RC

TC2 -IMO (although other Brits would disagree) it is NOT a topping for a baked potato but an item in its own right, I believe invented for people to have for lunch on the day of QE2's coronation, and eaten essentially just with salad - as my recipe would suggest. We personally would be drinking a white wine with it- maybe a sauv. blanc. I hadn't realised that others used it as a topping for a baked potato, until I heard this from Jeff and Sophia. I should add that I am fairly ancient and very old-fashioned! But do think mine is the nicest way to eat it - not very curried, just a hint. Over to you, J and S.;)

Oh ... I agree! I just use to add some curry powder and salad cream and left over chicken. Then if there was a suitable sized potato in the bag then obviously it has to be done. This was in my music days when I ate what i found was around. Normally just left over by a visitor who had abandoned ship over the previous day or so. I have grown up ... a little ... since. :)

Evening All,

I had never thought about pairing the C chicken with a jacket potato until l had it a few years back at a little tea shop but l do also like it with a salad and coleslaw LL.....you are quite correct.

Champagne is open all hours....not literally of course l rarely drink it at home...all bets being off though when I'm away....pre flying being a favourite time for the tipple and also while I dress for dinner on board ship...Hic...:D

Just spent a very frustrating hour discussing my air miles with Virgin Atlantic Flying Club....thirty minutes of which were waiting to actually speak to a human!

Sadly there were more nays than yays as I predicted but it was worth a try....why is everything so complicated these days....

S:)

RC

Thank you for the tips!:)

There is nothing tastier than a baked potato with grated strongish cheddar, perhaps bacon pieces and naturally butter. I have been known, when sated with the glamorous offerings at dinner on the other really nice cruise line, to ask for this as a main, to the astonishment of the staff. They do them really well!

Oh Jeff, not only does your meal look good, but that is a view 'to die for' as people say nowadays. Very jealous - we look out on to a nice lawn and various trees in the garden at home, but nothing like your seaside.

LL