Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

JEFF.....Your pork looks delicious as usual, I love belly pork especially when it's nice and crispy.....

Now don't you go getting the ump....;) you know we all love your food!!

Hope Mrs J is feeling better...some days just aren't good...I've had one or two this week..and it ain't nice.

Beautiful day here but chilly....lamb chops for lunch with cauli cheese and roasters.

Happy Sunday

S:)

Jeff - meant to praise the shiny pork, but I was posting at the same time as you, and it came up when I next looked - thought I had said enough for one day. One of our favourite kinds of food as well, cheap and very very tasty.

A lovely day here, washing out in the sun. This b****** computer playing up - again - sadly we don't really understand it, so I will sign off. LL

Hello fresco ones!

Trying to figure out what the shenanigans are in the pork belly recipe, to no avail! I am stumped, must be some sort of slang?

I'm sorry I confused Spin. There is no relevance at all to my inclusion of that word other than the production of the meal involves maneuoverings.

I do so love the word though. I did once try to write something called "Hotel Shenanigans" where there was "lots of hanky panky" and "tawdry goings on" (I rather had Ian Drury in mind for it) but the idea didn't get to much and I concluded nothing I ever wrote would ever be any good - or I'd die of old age before anything was completed, so I gave up and admitted defeat. Don't you like the word though? Very evocative.

How are your first few days of reitrement?

:)

Jeff - meant to praise the shiny pork, but I was posting at the same time as you, and it came up when I next looked - thought I had said enough for one day. One of our favourite kinds of food as well, cheap and very very tasty.

A lovely day here, washing out in the sun. This b****** computer playing up - again - sadly we don't really understand it, so I will sign off. LL

JEFF.....Your pork looks delicious as usual, I love belly pork especially when it's nice and crispy.....

Now don't you go getting the ump....;) you know we all love your food!!

Hope Mrs J is feeling better...some days just aren't good...I've had one or two this week..and it ain't nice.

Beautiful day here but chilly....lamb chops for lunch with cauli cheese and roasters.

Happy Sunday

What a great day ..... two lovely ladies ... of some breeding ..... if you don't mind me saying so .... completely unprompted complimenting me on my shiny pork. :eek:

I'd always wanted to produce char siu pork at home exactly like you see hanging up in Chinese restaurant/hawker windows and it took me some time to work it out.

It also always makes me think that I wish they'd get all these chefs off of TV who simply "show off" and provide no encouragement or direction and instead have a Delia #2 who simply encourages and nurtures this generation into the joys of real cooking and gives them the confidence that they can do so. Also I'd love to see some TV on how people on very low and limited incomes can cook for their families and eat so well if they simply learn how to cook basically and shop well.

Sophy, you come down here gal and we'll give you some champers.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

What a great day ..... two lovely ladies ... of some breeding ..... if you don't mind me saying so .... completely unprompted complimenting me on my shiny pork. :eek:

It also always makes me think that I wish they'd get all these chefs off of TV who simply "show off" and provide no encouragement or direction and instead have a Delia #2 who simply encourages and nurtures this generation into the joys of real cooking and gives them the confidence that they can do so. Also I'd love to see some TV on how people on very low and limited incomes can cook for their families and eat so well if they simply learn how to cook basically and shop well.

Sophy, you come down here gal and we'll give you some champers.

Ha....you old flatterer you...:rolleyes:.....ooh l do love a drop of fizz, particularly partial to a champagne cocktail as I've said before....I think!!

Funny you should mention the TV cooks.......just this morning on the Food Network they were showing Fanny Craddock from 1975! Blimey, that made me giggle....old Johnny wasn't with her but the way of cooking looked so old fashioned!

I think supermarkets have a lot to do with people not knowing the basics of cooking, everything is ready made these days. My mother taught me how to cook...it wasn't voluntary....l was made to learn and I'm damn glad now.

I also think the old way of shopping and cooking is a lot cheaper...as in buying day to day....not practical for many of course, myself included at times, but l have noticed than on the rare occasions I've missed a supermarket drop I spend a lot less by buying from the local butcher and green grocer.

Here endeth the first Sunday sermon....;)

I also think the old way of shopping and cooking is a lot cheaper...as in buying day to day....not practical for many of course, myself included at times, but l have noticed than on the rare occasions I've missed a supermarket drop I spend a lot less by buying from the local butcher and green grocer.

Here endeth the first Sunday sermon....;)

If you are lucky enough to have an old fashioned working class market I think that's right. But these new organic farmers type markets seem to me to be expensive. I also think that shopping online can be good value because you reduce waste by proper menu planning. You also get rfunds more easilly if something isn't right. And there's flash sales .... as it happens nothing for us today.

If anyone in the UK is interested, Castillo San Lorenzo Rioja Reserva is on special offer at Tesco Wine By The Case (ie online) at the moment. 75% off (50% off plus another 25% is added at checkout - order 4 cases of 6 to qualify) and free next day delivery plus a 1000 points plus topcashback for even more points. The discount can be ignored but the net price of £4:83 per bottle with free next day delivery. 98 reviews which seem to be an average of 5*. This is great value, particularly as it can be less than free for those collecting Avios/BA miles.

IDShot_150x300.jpg

Tasting Notes

A winning combination of Tempranillo, Graciano and Mazuelo grapes, this is a modern classic loaded with rich, ripe, black fruit flavours.

Think plum and black cherry, together with a sprinkling of cinnamon spice and vanilla from time spent ageing on oak barrels.

Really loves roast lamb or beef stews.

The secret is to open a topcashback account - they will give you £5 on opening which triggers after £10 earnings.You get 2% cashback on Tesco wine. On the Tesco site you use XXH4MA code for 1000 tesco points. Because you can depoist topcashback earnings into a Tesco account this will give you £12 worth of Tesco vouchers which equate to approximately 3000 BA miles for each order of 24 bottles ie 4 cases to get to £100+. If you use them well they could be worth upto 3p each making the wine pretty much free ...... and of course when you trigger your free £5 topcashback voucher it makes the wine "less than free".

It sounds complicated but it isn't and I've just got at full price .... £624 of wine at full list price (8 cases over two Tesco and two topcashback accounts) ... effectively for free.

Hope it's helpful.

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/home

http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?id=256990990

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Brother in law spotted the Rioja and has purchased some for us - he also went slightly berserk with some others he found so not too sure what or how many bottles we'll end up with. One thing for sure it won't last long round here ;)

Gorgeous day up here in Shropshire - looking forward to walking into town this afternoon to feast our eyes on the, still beautiful, hanging baskets etc all round the town. It's great to have sunshine after a day of gloom and low clouds yesterday!

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

Mary

Retirement...

Yesterday I watched football. I think it was too emotionally draining. I vowed not to watch for awhile. I moved some stuff around in my home office. I continued to research air fares from Miami to BA and then Capetown to MIA.

My brain is turning to mush.

Nothing to pithy, but tomorrow I get serious!

And my ipad keeps crashing and sending stuff before I have checked my spelling or syntax.

Spin,

You need to prioritise better. You really should now start to concentrate on the trivial. You forgot to endorse the wonderfulness and colourfulness of the word "shenanigans"!

Please correct this omission. (Forthwith)

Jeff

:) :D:p:cool:

ps Tawdry is also a lovely word.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Yum lamb

Brother in law spotted the Rioja and has purchased some for us - he also went slightly berserk with some others he found so not too sure what or how many bottles we'll end up with. One thing for sure it won't last long round here ;)

Mary

Hi Mary, the lamb was great.

Don't know whether you have opened any of this yet .... mine has just arrived and I just had a taster ... just in the interests of science and research you understand! ;)

It is a classy act! Ours is all 2008. It is however my instinct that this should be drunk earlier rather than any notions of keeping it for later. It will benefit from some air - but even with a vacuvin it wont do well a second day once opened. It's a really lovely blend. Tempranillo, Graciano and Mazuelo grapes - the Tempranillo being quite a classy early grape to add to the other two typical Rioja grapes. If you can just throw it into another bottle for some air or put it through an aireator it'll be better but if not no worries.

Not bad for "free" ... or even a fiver if that was it .... and only 47.75 bottles to go ........ :D

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Two little disparate topics - don't know if either is of general interest.

Your mention of Martini Rosso Jeff reminded me of a favourite cocktail: a Negroni (with gin) or Americano (without gin). Love the bitterness of Campari with just a touch of sweet Rosso. I also love a Margarita -again rather sour as I don't much like sweet things. Anyone else got an interesting favourite?

Think I am a bit pedantic: watching something on TV with someone asking for something saying 'can I get' rather than the phrase I prefer 'may I have'. Just think the latter sounds more polite and charming. Or am I and DH just a pair of old fusspots? Lots of other phrases we hate of course.

Your mention of Martini Rosso Jeff reminded me of a favourite cocktail: a Negroni (with gin) or Americano (without gin). Love the bitterness of Campari with just a touch of sweet Rosso. I also love a Margarita -again rather sour as I don't much like sweet things. Anyone else got an interesting favourite?

Think I am a bit pedantic: watching something on TV with someone asking for something saying 'can I get' rather than the phrase I prefer 'may I have'. Just think the latter sounds more polite and charming. Or am I and DH just a pair of old fusspots? Lots of other phrases we hate of course.

Oh ... don't get me started. :mad:

It is the incursion of Americanisms to Brits aping being American isn't it.

There is nothing wrong with Americanisms when you are in America. In the same way that you know that if you go to Paris you are going to be steeped in Fido poo and constantly going through the motions. Or if you go to Greece that by the time you get your lunch it will be dinner time. Or if you go to Spain the Rain is always Not on The Plain but is instead wherever you are. There is nothing wrong with Americanisms. What is irritiating is Brits pretending to be American. In my view. Just sayin'. :)

I think that Martini Rosso and Noily Prat are the two greatest unapreciated components of a food cupboard. All my red meat gravies have the rosso, and all white sauces have the Noily.

And I think what you are trying to say is that when you were a kid you learned early that you get more alcohol per buck with Martini ...... after graduating from Emva Cream ......;)

Whaddya mean, Emva Cream? How very dare you, having suggested S and LL are ladies of breeding as well. I truly have never drunk Cyprus sherry, even in desperation, and my parents did not have it in the house.

My apologies.

And in the same vein may I just say clearly in case it is ever suggested otherwise, that I also never topped up my dads Remy Martin with Emva Cream after drinking enough of it to realise I'd be caught, and of course I am not claiming for a moment that he never seemed to notice the difference .....

Hi Mary, the lamb was great.

Don't know whether you have opened any of this yet .... mine has just arrived and I just had a taster ... just in the interests of science and research you understand! ;)

It is a classy act! Ours is all 2008. It is however my instinct that this should be drunk earlier rather than any notions of keeping it for later. It will benefit from some air - but even with a vacuvin it wont do well a second day once opened. It's a really lovely blend. Tempranillo, Graciano and Mazuelo grapes - the Tempranillo being quite a classy early grape to add to the other two typical Rioja grapes. If you can just throw it into another bottle for some air or put it through an aireator it'll be better but if not no worries.

Not bad for "free" ... or even a fiver if that was it .... and only 47.75 bottles to go ........ :D

Jeff

Sounds like a good deal Jeff.....and the lamb looks delish. I sadly can no longer drink red wine, tried a nice bottle the other week and it didn't agree with me at all...damn it!

Wasn't the Rosso with Gin at one time called a Gin and It.....I seem to recall it was a favourite of the Queen Mother?

I don't have an interesting favourite with the exception of my chocolate martinis which actually vary from bar tender to bar tender....for some strange reason!

TV these days can be very irritating....watching some of the foodie programmes annoy me because of table manners...or lack of them! The phrase "know what l mean" is another that irks... Or when someone serves one and says "cheers' ..!

"May I" today is very rarely heard....as a child it was always expected of me to ask " May l leave the table please", these days a large portion of the population don't even eat at the table.

I'm quite happy to be an old fusspot !

Gorgeous day up here in Shropshire - looking forward to walking into town this afternoon to feast our eyes on the, still beautiful, hanging baskets etc all round the town. It's great to have sunshine after a day of gloom and low clouds yesterday!

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

Mary

Mary, do you ever go down to the Dingle, the flowers there are usually quite spectacular and it's so lovely by the river.

I forgot to thank you for your email link about Bermuda, I can't think of anyone that l would know now.....we used to mix with a lot of the policemen in those days all of whom were from the UK then when the birdcage was still being used!

The Forty Thieves Night Club was our haunt on Front St..had many a good time in there until the wee small hours ;)

It will most certainly feel very strange going back.

I think the Queen Mum's drink was gin and Dubonnet. I used to love Dubonnet, completely out of favour now, and a bit on the sweet side. I have never tried a chocolate martini, not being a big fan of chocolate, but I know it is very popular, on Seabourn. How 'chocolatey' is it - can you give me the recipe? Feel I should try it.

Yes, Please may I leave the table - or please mare leave the table as we used to say it quickly - was de rigueur in my youth. Autre temps, autre moeurs. I do think it is sad that most families nowadays do not sit down together to eat.