Before I Book

baggal

Getting ready to book the Reflection for a Caribbean cruise in December. I've only sailed once on Celebrity a while ago (the Zenith). I'm looking forward to trying a Solstice class ship. Unfortunately, I have to follow a fairly strict no/low sodium diet. Has anyone had experience with requesting this specific dietary request? Please no "I'm sure they'll take care of it" responses. I'd like to hear some real experiences so I can decide if the MDR will work for me.

Thanks in advance.

I can't answer your question specifically, although I have heard that Celebrity is very accommodating. Just wanted to suggest that your post might attract people with specific knowledge if your subject line was more specific (i.e., "Dietary Restrictions" or something). So many posts here, it's hard to try to read them all!

Hope you have a great cruise!

My BFF has Celiac disease and needs a very strict gluten free diet. She always arranges ahead with Celebrity, then sees the maitre d' once on board. She orders her meals a day ahead, with the help of her section head waiter, and has never in many cruises had any issues with cross contamination. Follow these same steps and you should be fine.

Agree ""Before I book" doesn't tell us what you want to know. Try again, with a title like "Low/No Sodium Experiences, please"

Also spend a few minutes doing a search of this board using "Low Sodium" or just "Sodium" as a search term. You'll find dozens and dozens of posts about this issue, focusing on everything from the ship's water to prepared foods, to added seasonings on foods and on and on.

Hi baggal,

I observe a low sodium diet as well. I have cruised 3 times with Royal Caribbean observing this with no problem. This is my first Celebrity cruise. My TA booked this with no problem. My booking on celebrity.com lists my low sodium request.

The way it was handled on my 3 RC cruises was as We're the Groupnors detailed. The day of boarding I will go to the main dining room to confirm this is noted for me for my table # and the way it will be handled in the MDR nightly for dinner. I also follow up with the maitre'd the first evening to make sure we are on the same page. As I finish up my dinner that evening either the maitre'd or head waiter will present me with the menu for the next evening. I then make my selections for the next evenings dinner. The food is then prepared with minimal/no additional sodium. They will let me know which items items cannot be prepared that way. Obviously I stay away from foods know to have a high sodium content like soups, processed meats, etc.

Being on a lot sodium diet usually my lips tell me pretty quickly when a food has a lot of sodium. Will be curious as to how this will work on Celebrity as we have Select Dining and not set seating times. Hope it works out for you.

Hi baggal,

I observe a low sodium diet as well. I have cruised 3 times with Royal Caribbean observing this with no problem. This is my first Celebrity cruise. My TA booked this with no problem. My booking on celebrity.com lists my low sodium request.

The way it was handled on my 3 RC cruises was as We're the Groupnors detailed. The day of boarding I will go to the main dining room to confirm this is noted for me for my table # and the way it will be handled in the MDR nightly for dinner. I also follow up with the maitre'd the first evening to make sure we are on the same page. As I finish up my dinner that evening either the maitre'd or head waiter will present me with the menu for the next evening. I then make my selections for the next evenings dinner. The food is then prepared with minimal/no additional sodium. They will let me know which items items cannot be prepared that way. Obviously I stay away from foods know to have a high sodium content like soups, processed meats, etc.

Being on a lot sodium diet usually my lips tell me pretty quickly when a food has a lot of sodium. Will be curious as to how this will work on Celebrity as we have Select Dining and not set seating times. Hope it works out for you.

I too have had wonderful experiences on RCI - the waiters and maitre d's have been very accommodating. But this past winter we sailed on Princess and I was not impressed. They had a generic "special diet" plate every night with the same vegetables and rice (probably cooked with salt) and just switched out the main part of the meal by leaving off the sauce. Not really what I was expecting after experiencing RCI's efforts.

And thank you to those who offered advice about search and labeling.

Please make sure that you complete the special needs forms before you travel. RCCL and Celebrity now automatically give these to all passengers. It gives them a heads up before travel as to how many they will need to cater for.

The buffet is also capable of doing special diets, you will need to speak with the maitre D of the buffet who will be able to tell you your options

I too have had wonderful experiences on RCI - the waiters and maitre d's have been very accommodating. But this past winter we sailed on Princess and I was not impressed. They had a generic "special diet" plate every night with the same vegetables and rice (probably cooked with salt) and just switched out the main part of the meal by leaving off the sauce. Not really what I was expecting after experiencing RCI's efforts.

And thank you to those who offered advice about search and labeling.

My wife has Celiac too, and we had the same experience on Princess, and a wonderful experience on RCCL. Our booking show's the special diet needs right on it. We have friends that told us X goes over the top to do it right.

Archived