No Smoking on Verandahs

I am a non smoker however my dad who is in a wheelchair due to m.s is a smoker and specifically booked a balcony cabin on the magic for next June so that he could relax on his balcony and smoke if he wants to and not have the hassle of going up on deck. I personally think it terrible that they have changed the policy for existing bookings. We would lose our deposit and our airfare to barcelona if we cancelled so this has put my dad in a very difficult position. Does he lose out on nearly £ 2000 by cancelling and have a very disappointed grandaughter or struggle up on deck every time he wants a smoke. Thanks a lot disney !

I would check with them on the cancellation policy as far as this goes. If you really want to cancel it completely. Next June is well past cancellation, and if you are referring to Concierge (which typically forfeits deposit) I think they are working with people about this due to the policy change. It's worth a shot. Or you can still have a Magical time and roll with it. Just trying to help.

Also I'm intrigued that airfare is available that far out? We can't look at next summer's airfare over here (I can't even shop for May's yet!)

I would check with them on the cancellation policy as far as this goes. If you really want to cancel it completely. Next June is well past cancellation, and if you are referring to Concierge (which typically forfeits deposit) I think they are working with people about this due to the policy change. It's worth a shot. Or you can still have a Magical time and roll with it. Just trying to help.

Also I'm intrigued that airfare is available that far out? We can't look at next summer's airfare over here (I can't even shop for May's yet!)

Sure it is. 330 days. Unless you are only looking at Southworst or one of the other carriers. Most airlines release dates 330 days in advance.

I am a non smoker however my dad who is in a wheelchair due to m.s is a smoker and specifically booked a balcony cabin on the magic for next June so that he could relax on his balcony and smoke if he wants to and not have the hassle of going up on deck. I personally think it terrible that they have changed the policy for existing bookings. We would lose our deposit and our airfare to barcelona if we cancelled so this has put my dad in a very difficult position. Does he lose out on nearly £ 2000 by cancelling and have a very disappointed grandaughter or struggle up on deck every time he wants a smoke. Thanks a lot disney !

[sNIP] or maybe he should just quit? What an innovative idea...[sNIP]

OMG Ducklite!

As a smoker, a supporter of the smoking ban on balconies, and with my "controversial" views, even I am stunned at your reply! :eek:

The poor man has MS and booked a cruise which he could smoke on his balcony in good faith, and then the cruise line has retracted that ability costing him changes to his pre booked airfare.

Even if the cruise booking can be cancelled, his flights may not.

And you say that?

An innovative idea might be that DCL announced this for future dates they have not yet released, not just spring it on people that have already made arrangements and travel plans.

WOW.

ex techie

OMG Ducklite!

As a smoker, a supporter of the smoking ban on balconies, and with my "controversial" views, even I am stunned at your reply! :eek:

The poor man has MS and booked a cruise which he could smoke on his balcony in good faith, and then the cruise line has retracted that ability costing him changes to his pre booked airfare.

Even if the cruise booking can be cancelled, his flights may not.

And you say that?

An innovative idea might be that DCL announced this for future dates they have not yet released, not just spring it on people that have already made arrangements and travel plans.

WOW.

ex techie

Do you have any idea how smoking affects someone with MS? It's terrible for their health! I can't believe he didn't quit cold turkey once he got the diagnosis.

Do you have any idea how smoking affects someone with MS? It's terrible for their health! I can't believe he didn't quit cold turkey once he got the diagnosis.

No, Do you?

It might be a single pleasure that man or other people take to make they're lives more pleasurable. (I know you do not think smoking is a pleasurable thing to do)

But who are you to tell him to quit?!

I have always respected your posts Ducklite, but am shocked at these.

ex techie

No, Do you?

It might be a single pleasure that man or other people take to make they're lives more pleasurable. (I know you do not think smoking is a pleasurable thing to do)

But who are you to tell him to quit?!

I have always respected your posts Ducklite, but am shocked at these.

ex techie

I'm just not sure what the issue is, the entire ship is accessible. It's not like they are putting the smoking area up a flight of stairs and requiring him to crawl up them when he wants a smoke. Perhaps they should change his cabin to be closer to the smoking area if he's a chain smoker.

I'm just not sure what the issue is, the entire ship is accessible. It's not like they are putting the smoking area up a flight of stairs and requiring him to crawl up them when he wants a smoke. Perhaps they should change his cabin to be closer to the smoking area if he's a chain smoker.

If you can't see that changing smoking on the balconies after people have already booked is an issue with airfares that are non refundable then there is no point discussing this further.

ex techie

If you can't see that changing smoking on the balconies after people have already booked is an issue with airfares that are non refundable then there is no point discussing this further.

ex techie

Read the cruise contract.

Read the cruise contract.

August 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM

ducklite

5,000+ Club

Quote:

Originally Posted by HudsonHawk

September 8 will be my first DCL cruise, after several Carnival cruises. I will say this this is still very fair. It's somewhere between the NO ALCOHOL and the free for all it was.

Although honestly, I brought alcohol onto Carnival in a Rum Runner. I had a good amount. I STILL bought a LOT of Drink of the Days and such. Mainly what I brought was for me in the cabin after lights out at the bars, or just a top-up at the end of the day. I dont see this as a huge thing.

Yes there will be those who claim DCL is taking away a right, but thats really just a privilege.

BD

ducklite responds:

The problem is that I'm paid in full and close to my sail date. One of the reasons I'm cruising DCL is the ability to bring the wine I prefer to drink. If DCL would offer a decent wine list I would be less upset. But it's really poor show to change the rules midstream for those of us who can't back out without losing thousands of dollars. This will significantly impact the enjoyment of my cruise.

I don't drink anything but wine, and I'm not putting a fine bottle of wine into a rum runner.

WOW

ex techie

WOW

ex techie

Yup. I was unhappy about it, but I also wasn't going to cancel a cruise over it. Also in my case I was under two weeks--not 10 months--from my sail date and so not entitled to a refund. The person we are speaking of is entitled to a refund. Perhaps they should rebook a land based vacation using the plane tickets as an option.

Had we wanted a land based holiday we would have booked one. The only thing we wanted was to take our granddaughter and her parents on the Disney Cruise while we could. As already said in an earlier post my husband wanted to be able to relax on the balcony with his cigarette whenever he did not feel able to go up on deck, that's why we booked the balcony and why we feel that DCL has been very underhand making such a significant change after we have booked. We do not want to cancel as we do not want to disappoint our granddaughter and we do not go back on our word. We totally agree with not smoking in confined spaces around non smokers which is why we always book a balcony when we cruise.

How my husband would love to be able to walk up stairs to the bar and enjoy a glass of wine, without feeling embarrassed by this new experience of being in a wheelchair. He would be more than happy to be able to drink the wine provided on the ship! :rolleyes:

As for stopping smoking I think that's his decision to make and we have not found it to be as detrimental to his health and wellbeing as having MS. He enjoys his cigarette and believe it or not they do help him to cope with his condition.

Yup. I was unhappy about it, but I also wasn't going to cancel a cruise over it. Also in my case I was under two weeks--not 10 months--from my sail date and so not entitled to a refund. The person we are speaking of is entitled to a refund. Perhaps they should rebook a land based vacation using the plane tickets as an option.

That may have been how YOU felt at the time, but I was on the Disney Boards, and I can tell you that people were OUTRAGED!!! They were going berserk about the "short notice" and bitched up one side and back down the other, until DCL retracted the ban.

I'd really like someone to tell me just exactly why this "short notice" smoking ban is so different? Back with the attempted carry-on alcohol ban, people were saying that it wouldn't "be so bad" if they (DCL) had decided to change it with any brand new bookings...in the future....but not to existing ones.

NOW no one seems to have a problem with it. :confused:

And don't even start on me about how second hand smoke is so incredibly dangerous to others. For the short time that someone might get a little whiff on their balcony, it's NOT going to hurt them. The ONLY way that someone might be affected by it is if their respiratory system is already compromised, and if that's the case, those people already know that they may encounter irritants anywhere....including the laundry soap aisle of the grocery store, and it is their responsibility to make sure that they don't get sick. If it's possible to have an allergic reaction or asthma attack because smoking was allowed on the balconies, and you might have a neighbor that smoked, then don't book a balcony!!!

My husband is deathly allergic to fish and peanuts, but he doesn't count on ANYONE ELSE to keep him safe from those.

God forbid we should take away someone's booze....even though alcohol kills far more innocent people than second hand smoke ever will.

And the high and mighty Disney cruisers are always so quick to trash the "drunken Carnival cruisers". Ha!

That may have been how YOU felt at the time, but I was on the Disney Boards, and I can tell you that people were OUTRAGED!!! They were going berserk about the "short notice" and bitched up one side and back down the other, until DCL retracted the ban.

I'd really like someone to tell me just exactly why this "short notice" smoking ban is so different? Back with the attempted carry-on alcohol ban, people were saying that it wouldn't "be so bad" if they (DCL) had decided to change it with any brand new bookings...in the future....but not to existing ones.

NOW no one seems to have a problem with it. :confused:

And don't even start on me about how second hand smoke is so incredibly dangerous to others. For the short time that someone might get a little whiff on their balcony, it's NOT going to hurt them. The ONLY way that someone might be affected by it is if their respiratory system is already compromised, and if that's the case, those people already know that they may encounter irritants anywhere....including the laundry soap aisle of the grocery store, and it is their responsibility to make sure that they don't get sick. If it's possible to have an allergic reaction or asthma attack because smoking was allowed on the balconies, and you might have a neighbor that smoked, then don't book a balcony!!!

My husband is deathly allergic to fish and peanuts, but he doesn't count on ANYONE ELSE to keep him safe from those.

God forbid we should take away someone's booze....even though alcohol kills far more innocent people than second hand smoke ever will.

And the high and mighty Disney cruisers are always so quick to trash the "drunken Carnival cruisers". Ha!

You Go MizDaisy!!! I'm a smoker and I'm not upset about the ban because I could sense it was coming after Princess banned it on their balconies, BUT I also do not have a booked cruise in the works either. In the future I will just book a room as close to the smoking area as possible, but if I had a cruise booked with air at this moment, I would be pissed too. And I agree with your post 100%! :D

You Go MizDaisy!!! I'm a smoker and I'm not upset about the ban because I could sense it was coming after Princess banned it on their balconies, BUT I also do not have a booked cruise in the works either. In the future I will just book a room as close to the smoking area as possible, but if I had a cruise booked with air at this moment, I would be pissed too. And I agree with your post 100%! :D

I agree that DCL's timing stinks. My family, including 3 smokers, are travelling on DCL in late November in 5 veranda cabins.

The change fees for our airfare (11 passengers) are about $2000. Most of us booked our airfare on August 4, so if we had notice on August 1, our airfare change fees would have been only $175. Although we looked at other cruises we could squeeze into the same flight schedule, the options currently available were not that attractive. -- Suzanne

It seems to me that the very small minority of smokers should be glad that they are allowed to smoke at all. Smoking costs a cruise line (or any other business) money. That, safety, and overall guest satisfaction is why over half the hotels in the US flat out ban it these days. I'm surprised it took the cruise lines so long to catch up.

It seems to me that the very small minority of smokers should be glad that they are allowed to smoke at all. Smoking costs a cruise line (or any other business) money. That, safety, and overall guest satisfaction is why over half the hotels in the US flat out ban it these days. I'm surprised it took the cruise lines so long to catch up.

Maybe they should ban buffets, too.....have you seen the amount of food that's wasted after each meal? That has to cost the cruise lines, too.

Just exactly how much work/effort/money do you think it cost the cruise lines to have people smoking on their balconies???? All the room steward did was empty the ashtray every couple of days.

Maybe they should ban buffets, too.....have you seen the amount of food that's wasted after each meal? That has to cost the cruise lines, too.

Just exactly how much work/effort/money do you think it cost the cruise lines to have people smoking on their balconies???? All the room steward did was empty the ashtray every couple of days.

I would be more than happy to see the buffets gone as well. The food is wasted and people eat far too much--not to mention they put people at greater risk for communicable disease.

The balconies have to be cleaned and when the smoke wafts into cabins, they have to be deodorized.

Additionally it puts the entire ship at risk of fire from someone improperly discarding a cigarette.

I agree with the absurd waste of buffet foods, which is why the bacon being served which people complain about. But I disagree about the cost of cleaning a room. On our honeymoon the steward refused to even enter our room on day 1 until it was scrubbed head to toe and the carpets cleaned twice. His supervisor even refused to enter the room it smelled so bad and they ended up sending a special crew to clean it. It was awhile before we were allowed to have the room.

I would be more than happy to see the buffets gone as well. The food is wasted and people eat far too much--not to mention they put people at greater risk for communicable disease.

The balconies have to be cleaned and when the smoke wafts into cabins, they have to be deodorized.

Additionally it puts the entire ship at risk of fire from someone improperly discarding a cigarette.

I agree with the absurd waste of buffet foods, which is why the bacon being served which people complain about. But I disagree about the cost of cleaning a room. On our honeymoon the steward refused to even enter our room on day 1 until it was scrubbed head to toe and the carpets cleaned twice. His supervisor even refused to enter the room it smelled so bad and they ended up sending a special crew to clean it. It was awhile before we were allowed to have the room.

Why are you disagreeing with me? I said the same as you, only in less detail.

So by that logic, all electronic equipment should be banned.

No phone chargers, no laptops or tablets, no hair irons, no hairdryers?

http://www.10news.com/money/consumer/death-prompts-apple-iphone-ipad-3rd-party-charger-warning08092013

http://www.skynews.com.au/tech/article.aspx?id=895885

ex techie

Had we wanted a land based holiday we would have booked one. The only thing we wanted was to take our granddaughter and her parents on the Disney Cruise while we could. As already said in an earlier post my husband wanted to be able to relax on the balcony with his cigarette whenever he did not feel able to go up on deck, that's why we booked the balcony and why we feel that DCL has been very underhand making such a significant change after we have booked. We do not want to cancel as we do not want to disappoint our granddaughter and we do not go back on our word. We totally agree with not smoking in confined spaces around non smokers which is why we always book a balcony when we cruise.

How my husband would love to be able to walk up stairs to the bar and enjoy a glass of wine, without feeling embarrassed by this new experience of being in a wheelchair. He would be more than happy to be able to drink the wine provided on the ship! :rolleyes:

As for stopping smoking I think that's his decision to make and we have not found it to be as detrimental to his health and wellbeing as having MS. He enjoys his cigarette and believe it or not they do help him to cope with his condition.

McNotMac and your daughter Brochquine,

I completely agree with everything you said and feel for you all.

Please let DCL know before you cruise how much stress and inconvenience this change will make to your already planned trip.

Hopefully they will then take that into account when making any future changes to policy and give Guests advance notice like Cunard have.

And buy an e-cig for Dad. Who is gonna know if they dont see!!!

I wish you all a great cruise despite this incompetent and poorly executed policy change.

ex techie

So by that logic, all electronic equipment should be banned.

No phone chargers, no laptops or tablets, no hair irons, no hairdryers?

http://www.10news.com/money/consumer/death-prompts-apple-iphone-ipad-3rd-party-charger-warning08092013

http://www.skynews.com.au/tech/article.aspx?id=895885

ex techie

Your links are irrelevant. Instead of banning all the items you stated, ban the non-OEM chargers. The leading non-kitchen related cause of fire in hotels is smoking, and that is about 900% higher than the next cause, electrical. I'll take my chances with the blow dryer in the next room, thanks.

Your links are irrelevant. Instead of banning all the items you stated, ban the non-OEM chargers. The leading non-kitchen related cause of fire in hotels is smoking, and that is about 900% higher than the next cause, electrical. I'll take my chances with the blow dryer in the next room, thanks.

It a bloody ship. Not a hotel.

Archived