No Smoking on Verandahs

I could never imagine changing my vacation because I couldn't engage in something that is offensive to most and will kill me and sicken those who live with me. It's cigarettes, people. Little sticks of death that no longer are socially acceptable. Get used to more prohibitions/limitations. People who value their health don't want to smell your puffs of death.

Plenty of people threatened to cancel when Disney wanted to take away the option of being able to bring your own alcohol onboard.

A lot of people have something to where they will draw the line as to whether or not to choose a particular type of vacation.

I've only skimmed this thread...same old arguments but the most important question is "What will non-smokers complain about after this new policy is put into place?" Just curious.

The smoke from the Designated Smoking Areas will be next on the hit list for them!

ex techie

From the "them" camp.

The days of smoking anywhere in public is numbered so best they ban it everywhere on the ship and get it overwith;)

That's been tried on a cruise line, and it failed.

The ships would lose too many passengers, meaning lose too much money.

That's been tried on a cruise line, and it failed.

The ships would lose too many passengers, meaning lose too much money.

Yes, I read that recently.

I do believe that, although not necessarily on the ships, but in general the day is coming where smoking will be banned in all public places.

Just not sure they could enforce it at sea if the ships are registered somewhere else, I don't know enough about that side of it.

I do believe that, although not necessarily on the ships, but in general the day is coming where smoking will be banned in all public places.

Just not sure they could enforce it at sea if the ships are registered somewhere else, I don't know enough about that side of it.

I agree....I think that time is coming, too. I know I've heard talk about trying a law to prevent people from smoking in their own cars....I think it mentioned (maybe) especially if there were children in the car??

I guess it's okay to drink like a fish on Disney, but not to smoke on your balcony....especially when there really weren't that many people coming back after a cruise and saying they had a problem with it. Almost none, in fact.

I'm sorry, not trying to single you out but this is simply not the case. We have been on 5 DCL cruises in the past 2 years - all in balcony staterooms and we have had issues with smoke getting into our room from neighbors balconies on three of those trips. We never complained to anybody with DCL until the last day when asked how our overall experience was and each time were given the response that ours was a common complaint.

The notion that people that feel the ill effects of second hand smoke are just looking for a reason to complain is completely bogus. We try very hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle and I look forward to the day when I can go anywhere in public without having to breathe in the noxious fumes of someone else's filthy and deadly habit.

Well, aren't there people here who do everything right and have no "bad" vices. Sorry, but if you are going on a cruise, the last thing you are thinking about is your health. Cheap, high-salt, high-fat, high-cholesterol...Even trying to pick the most healthy options are useless on a cruise unless you just eat the fresh fruit (hmmm, wonder how many pesticides are lingering about on them also.) Eating one meal on-board will have a more direct affect on your health than smelling some passing smoke in the open.

Pushing all of the smokers into the open will have an adverse affect on many more passengers than they realize. The small smoking areas will have many, many more people there making much more smoke that will take longer to dissipate. Sure, you can avoid the areas all together (a larger part of the ship than just the smoking areas), but you will have a much greater area that you can not use as opposed to your balcony for a few minutes. Sorry, smokers do not smoke one cigarette after another for hours.

As for hotels and restaurants/bars going smoke-free? Try it is because they HAVE to, not because they want to. I personally know a few restaurant owners who went out of business because of it here. People went elsewhere. Believe me, if they had a choice for their own property, most would have kept their smoking sections.

Is smoking bad for you? Of course it can be, just as most things we do (or don't do). I have seen the affects it can have on people, but I have also seen the affects alcohol, drugs, food, and even stress can have on someone's health. Had a dear friend die from alcohol (liver disease) at the ripe old age of 35. Heck, your own or neighbors outdoor grill and/or fireplace/wood burning stove pose a health risk to you also. Maybe we should all just live in a bubble?

I agree....I think that time is coming, too. I know I've heard talk about trying a law to prevent people from smoking in their own cars....I think it mentioned (maybe) especially if there were children in the car??

This law already exists where I live - no smoking in vehicles when children under 16 years old are present.

This law already exists where I live - no smoking in vehicles when children under 16 years old are present.

The ONLY sad thing about this, is that they had to make it a law. What parent would do that to their kids in the first place?? And I'm a smoker....but not when ANYONE else is in the car. Actually, very rarely in the car at all.

Well, aren't there people here who do everything right and have no "bad" vices. Sorry, but if you are going on a cruise, the last thing you are thinking about is your health. Cheap, high-salt, high-fat, high-cholesterol...Even trying to pick the most healthy options are useless on a cruise unless you just eat the fresh fruit (hmmm, wonder how many pesticides are lingering about on them also.) Eating one meal on-board will have a more direct affect on your health than smelling some passing smoke in the open.

Maybe you eat like crap even while on vacation, but I don't. On my last cruise I ate a lot of fruit--from the EU--ie NO GMO's and NO PESTICIDES. Maybe you should open your eyes about what you are actually shoveling into your mouth, where it comes from, and what the laws are about the growing and processing of foods in those countries before you make another assumption. On our last DCL cruise we ate very healthy meals and I never once ate anything fried and only drank one soda--a ginger ale during some very heavy seas. There are a lot of fantastic options for food on cruises, if you use some common sense.

Pushing all of the smokers into the open will have an adverse affect on many more passengers than they realize. The small smoking areas will have many, many more people there making much more smoke that will take longer to dissipate. Sure, you can avoid the areas all together (a larger part of the ship than just the smoking areas), but you will have a much greater area that you can not use as opposed to your balcony for a few minutes. Sorry, smokers do not smoke one cigarette after another for hours.

You've obviously never had a cabin next to a chain smoker who spent an entire cruise on their balcony reading and lighting one off the butt of the last.

As for hotels and restaurants/bars going smoke-free? Try it is because they HAVE to, not because they want to. I personally know a few restaurant owners who went out of business because of it here. People went elsewhere. Believe me, if they had a choice for their own property, most would have kept their smoking sections.

That's contrary to most areas where restauranteurs saw business rise after banning smoking.

My town already essentially bans smoking in all public outdoor places such as parks and sidewalks. Smokers can light up in their own homes or yards and other areas that are sufficiently remote from buildings and other non-smokers. Even in remote areas, non-smoking adults cannot be too close to smoking adults.

Not surprisingly, I have never heard of anyone calling 911 because a smoker was walking down the sidewalk in violation of the law. If those calls start being made, I'm not sure our town can afford the additional police needed.

-- Suzanne

Maybe you eat like crap even while on vacation, but I don't. On my last cruise I ate a lot of fruit--from the EU--ie NO GMO's and NO PESTICIDES. Maybe you should open your eyes about what you are actually shoveling into your mouth.

You are really not a very nice person....so self-righteous. I wish I were perfect like you are. On second thought, I really don't. No one wants to be friends with someone like that.

You've obviously never had a cabin next to a chain smoker who spent an entire cruise on their balcony reading and lighting one off the butt of the last.

I've cruised 20+ times in just the last 10 years, several of them were 10 day+ cruises, Panama Canal, 14 night Southern, 11 Night Southern....LONG cruises.....

And in all of those cruises, there was only ONE time that the smokers in the next verandah "bothered" us. They were a Mom, Dad, and an adult daughter...and I think they had some kind of social issues...not even sure why the were on a cruise....sometimes they were all out there together smoking, but most of the time it seemed like they took turns. The adult daughter didn't appear to leave the room at all, even to eat...which is why I thought there might be some kind of underlying issue.

Anyway.....that's a LOT of days onboard for me, and it's only happened ONCE.

Statistically speaking, the chances of having someone next to you who does NOTHING but sit out there and smoke one after another is pretty darn low.

Here's a news flash........Disney's decision to ban smoking on the verandahs was not entirely due to passenger complaints. In fact, that probably had very little to do with it.

There were several very good reasons that they did it, and it had nothing to do with what most people are thinking. All I'll say is that it wasn't the issue of passengers smoking on their verandah and "bothering" their non-smoking neighbors. But it definitely WAS a safety issue that could have caused great harm to ALL the passengers, even the ones who smoked.

From the "them" camp.

The days of smoking anywhere in public is numbered so best they ban it everywhere on the ship and get it overwith;)

They may be numbered, but I don't see it in the near future anyway. Disney allowed smoking on the balconies for 15 years. Hopefully our designated areas will give the "them" camp something to complain about for the next 15 years.

They may be numbered, but I don't see it in the near future anyway. Disney allowed smoking on the balconies for 15 years. Hopefully our designated areas will give the "them" camp something to complain about for the next 15 years.

Which is exactly why it wasn't passenger complaints that did away with the smoking on the balconies.

If DCL ignored the comments on the comment cards for 15 years, they weren't going to change their minds with such short notice now.

Here's a news flash........Disney's decision to ban smoking on the verandahs was not entirely due to passenger complaints. In fact, that probably had very little to do with it.

There were several very good reasons that they did it, and it had nothing to do with what most people are thinking. All I'll say is that it wasn't the issue of passengers smoking on their verandah and "bothering" their non-smoking neighbors. But it definitely WAS a safety issue that could have caused great harm to ALL the passengers, even the ones who smoked.

My guess would be, the smokers that throw their butts over the railing which can get sucked up in the ship. How did you find this out cause I think it's great news actually, become it takes power away from the non-smokers for when they lobby to get rid of the designated smoking areas.

Which is exactly why it wasn't passenger complaints that did away with the smoking on the balconies.

If DCL ignored the comments on the comment cards for 15 years, they weren't going to change their minds with such short notice now.

You make perfect sense to me!

My guess would be, the smokers that throw their butts over the railing which can get sucked up in the ship. How did you find this out cause I think it's great news actually, become it takes power away from the non-smokers for when they lobby to get rid of the designated smoking areas.

I really can't say much more at this point, I might be able to later....but all I can say is that it really had nothing to do with PASSENGERS at all......other than to keep them safe. In other words, it wasn't anything any PASSENGERS did.

I really can't say much more at this point, I might be able to later....but all I can say is that it really had nothing to do with PASSENGERS at all......other than to keep them safe. In other words, it wasn't anything any PASSENGERS did.

If it were that big of a safety problem they would have banned it effective immediately.

If it were that big of a safety problem they would have banned it effective immediately.

They handled the problem from the inside...taking care of it immediately...and chose to give their paying passengers enough notice to cancel (if they so chose) and get full refunds. That's just good business.

And don't even start on me about how second hand smoke is so incredibly dangerous to others. For the short time that someone might get a little whiff on their balcony, it's NOT going to hurt them. The ONLY way that someone might be affected by it is if their respiratory system is already compromised, and if that's the case, those people already know that they may encounter irritants anywhere....including the laundry soap aisle of the grocery store, and it is their responsibility to make sure that they don't get sick. If it's possible to have an allergic reaction or asthma attack because smoking was allowed on the balconies, and you might have a neighbor that smoked, then don't book a balcony!!

I unfortunately made the mistake of reading through this entire thread but feel the need to respond to sentiments like those above. Many of those who choose to smoke seem reluctant to accept the fact that the cigarette smoke they are producing causes adverse health effects to those that don't. I do not have any allergies but just the smell of cigarette smoke causes my eyes to burn and nausea. Can I live with this? Of course I can but why should I and the other 80% of the population who choose not to participate in this addictive practice have to? And because of this, I should avoid booking a balcony room just so you and others like you can maintain a truly nasty and deadly habit for your own pleasure? Comparing the exposure to smoke and the laundry soap aisle in a grocery store is laughable and stating that it is someone's responsibility to avoid air pollutants that make them feel sick such as cigarette smoke is equally laughable. It should be YOUR responsibility to make sure that your actions do not adversely affect the health of those around you. And just because you believe that by smoking in public, you are not doing this does not make it so. And please stop comparing the second hand effects of smoking to drinking or other unhealthy practices. If I walk by someone having a drink, I am not going to feel the urge to vomit. Same holds true with someone stuffing their face with fried chicken and a milkshake.

I do not know you but I am sure that you and many others who smoke are wonderful people. And you can look at any of my posts and see that I do not make a point of engaging in conflicts on these boards. But own cigarette smoking for what it is - a disgusting habit that has direct adverse effects on those around you. And by smoking in public areas - even if smoking is permitted - you are basically stating that "I don't care how my actions may effect anyone around me because satisfying my addiction is more important"

I unfortunately made the mistake of reading through this entire thread but feel the need to respond to sentiments like those above. Many of those who choose to smoke seem reluctant to accept the fact that the cigarette smoke they are producing causes adverse health effects to those that don't. I do not have any allergies but just the smell of cigarette smoke causes my eyes to burn and nausea. Can I live with this? Of course I can but why should I and the other 80% of the population who choose not to participate in this addictive practice have to? And because of this, I should avoid booking a balcony room just so you and others like you can maintain a truly nasty and deadly habit for your own pleasure? Comparing the exposure to smoke and the laundry soap aisle in a grocery store is laughable and stating that it is someone's responsibility to avoid air pollutants that make them feel sick such as cigarette smoke is equally laughable. It should be YOUR responsibility to make sure that your actions do not adversely affect the health of those around you. And just because you believe that by smoking in public, you are not doing this does not make it so. And please stop comparing the second hand effects of smoking to drinking or other unhealthy practices. If I walk by someone having a drink, I am not going to feel the urge to vomit. Same holds true with someone stuffing their face with fried chicken and a milkshake.

I do not know you but I am sure that you and many others who smoke are wonderful people. And you can look at any of my posts and see that I do not make a point of engaging in conflicts on these boards. But own cigarette smoking for what it is - a disgusting habit that has direct adverse effects on those around you. And by smoking in public areas - even if smoking is permitted - you are basically stating that "I don't care how my actions may effect anyone around me because satisfying my addiction is more important"

The thing is, when smoking was ALLOWED on the balconies, the smokers weren't doing anything wrong. And I still stand by what I said.....if one of my kids had severe asthma...or some such.....it would be MY responsibility to make sure that they didn't have an asthma attack. One of the ways to do that, would be to not take a chance on booking a balcony, when I know that there is a possibility there could be a smoker next door.

Again...it's personal responsibility.

Now that smoking on DCL's balconies is not allowed, I wouldn't force my dirty habit on anyone else. The rules were the rules, and no matter how much smoking upsets someone or makes them sick, smokers were NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG.

I get the urge to vomit if I share an elevator with someone wearing too much cologne or perfume....or some sweaty dude who just left the gym. Or a baby with poopy diapers. Is it THEIR fault that I want to vomit from smelling them??? NO.

And you're right.....smelling someone's drink isn't going to hurt you.....but like I said before, I could smoke a pack of cigarettes, get in my car and drive and not be a danger to an innocent person. The same is not true for someone who has been drinking.

The thing is, when smoking was ALLOWED on the balconies, the smokers weren't doing anything wrong. And I still stand by what I said.....if one of my kids had severe asthma...or some such.....it would be MY responsibility to make sure that they didn't have an asthma attack. One of the ways to do that, would be to not take a chance on booking a balcony, when I know that there is a possibility there could be a smoker next door.

Again...it's personal responsibility.

Now that smoking on DCL's balconies is not allowed, I wouldn't force my dirty habit on anyone else. The rules were the rules, and no matter how much smoking upsets someone or makes them sick, smokers were NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG.

I get the urge to vomit if I share an elevator with someone wearing too much cologne or perfume....or some sweaty dude who just left the gym. Or a baby with poopy diapers. Is it THEIR fault that I want to vomit from smelling them??? NO.

And you're right.....smelling someone's drink isn't going to hurt you.....but like I said before, I could smoke a pack of cigarettes, get in my car and drive and not be a danger to an innocent person. The same is not true for someone who has been drinking.

What are the chances that someone is going to swan dive off the ship into the water, swim to shore and drive off into the sunset after consuming a few beers?

Archived