No Smoking on Verandahs

The only thing that puzzles me is why the policy doesn't go into effect the day the Magic comes out of dry dock since all the staterooms are being totally gutted and refitted. Probably the 90+ days notice is to give guests who object a chance to cancel their reservation.

The only thing that puzzles me is why the policy doesn't go into effect the day the Magic comes out of dry dock since all the staterooms are being totally gutted and refitted. Probably the 90+ days notice is to give guests who object a chance to cancel their reservation.

I think that even 90+ days is really not enough time. While the cancellation penalties have not yet gone into effect, many cruisers buy nonrefundable airline tickets more than 3 months in advance.

Even though I am a non-smoker, I think the policy change should be put on hold to give cruisers at least 11 months prior notice. -- Suzanne

Wahoo! Tasteful shorts attire in the MDRs and no smoking on the verandahs. Talk about giving the people what they want!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I know the shorts in MDRs is killing you (and many high-brow people in this board) because now you don't have a high horse to stand on and point down at the uncouth, ill-mannered, uncultured masses. But yes, DCL are a for-profit corporation and will make policy changes they feel will improve their bottom line. Most people are delighted with officially allowing shorts and jeans on MDRs (including myself) and they have gotten more than enough feedback to back this decision up. Same goes with smoking in Verandas, it's a preservation-driven policy. Depending on sea and wind conditions, the ashes from the ashtrays would fly everywhere leaving behind the obnoxious smell that many non-smoking passengers complained about. If Verandas were somehow hermetically sealed, then sure, smoke to your heart's content, but that smoke you exhale blows to your neighbors balaconies and often with kids. Totally unintentionally, but you are denying people of their Veranda, because of your habit.

I know the shorts in MDRs is killing you (and many high-brow people in this board) because now you don't have a high horse to stand on and point down at the uncouth, ill-mannered, uncultured masses. But yes, DCL are a for-profit corporation and will make policy changes they feel will improve their bottom line. Most people are delighted with officially allowing shorts and jeans on MDRs (including myself) and they have gotten more than enough feedback to back this decision up. Same goes with smoking in Verandas, it's a preservation-driven policy. Depending on sea and wind conditions, the ashes from the ashtrays would fly everywhere leaving behind the obnoxious smell that many non-smoking passengers complained about. If Verandas were somehow hermetically sealed, then sure, smoke to your heart's content, but that smoke you exhale blows to your neighbors balaconies and often with kids. Totally unintentionally, but you are denying people of their Veranda, because of your habit.

Wait, was this post to ME?

I'm not high browed, what in the heck. I am glad my honey can be comfy and wear tasteful shorts, as I have already posted?

I am beyond delighted that Disney cut smoking on the balcony! Yuck!

I said it, *and I meant it* that Disney is giving the people what they want!

Sheesh. What a nasty post. I hate smoking. Never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never.

Maybe you should get off of YOUR high horse!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

While I'm not a fan of shorts in the dining room, it's DCL's policy to set. That said, I'd never step foot on one of their ships again if they extended this (or at all relaxed the dress code) in Remy and Palo.

I am a non smoker however my dad who is in a wheelchair due to m.s is a smoker and specifically booked a balcony cabin on the magic for next June so that he could relax on his balcony and smoke if he wants to and not have the hassle of going up on deck. I personally think it terrible that they have changed the policy for existing bookings. We would lose our deposit and our airfare to barcelona if we cancelled so this has put my dad in a very difficult position. Does he lose out on nearly £ 2000 by cancelling and have a very disappointed grandaughter or struggle up on deck every time he wants a smoke. Thanks a lot disney !

I am a non smoker however my dad who is in a wheelchair due to m.s is a smoker and specifically booked a balcony cabin on the magic for next June so that he could relax on his balcony and smoke if he wants to and not have the hassle of going up on deck. I personally think it terrible that they have changed the policy for existing bookings. We would lose our deposit and our airfare to barcelona if we cancelled so this has put my dad in a very difficult position. Does he lose out on nearly £ 2000 by cancelling and have a very disappointed grandaughter or struggle up on deck every time he wants a smoke. Thanks a lot disney !

You can cancel as long as you are within the 90 day period. or maybe he should just quit? What an innovative idea...

If only it was that easy, even if we can cancel the cruise we still have £1600 of airfares that are non refundable. I wish he would stop smoking but I know that will never happen as it truly is the only vice he has since he became disabled and he feels it helps him cope with the struggles he has with day to day things due to his disability. It's just disappointing that they have made this change after we booked as we would never have made the reservation on the first place had this been the case. I think it would have made more sense to implement first in cruises that are not currently available to book so that people then have the choice.

You can cancel as long as you are within the 90 day period. or maybe he should just quit? What an innovative idea...

I don't think they can cancel without a financial penalty. I believe the UK and European cancellation policies are different than they are for the U.S.

I made they assumption that's why there's a much longer period between the announcement and the implementation for Cunard and P&O.

Archived