No Smoking on Verandahs

Disney tried to do the same thing, short notice, when they wanted to ban people being able to carry alcohol onboard. So many people complained about it, Disney ended up not changing the policy at all.

I guess it's okay to drink like a fish on Disney, but not to smoke on your balcony....especially when there really weren't that many people coming back after a cruise and saying they had a problem with it. Almost none, in fact.

Not everyone who had a problem with the alcohol policy "drinks like a fish." We were traveling for a birthday and anniversary, and wanted to bring along special bottles for dinner in Palo and Remy. Sharing a bottle of wine at dinner is hardly "drinking like a fish."

There are two big differences.

1. DCL is not banning smoking. They are simply requiring people to smoke in a more suitable area to minimize impact on customers who don't want to have to breathe in second-hand smoke.

2. They announced the alcohol change with only two weeks notice. The smoking change falls well past the 90 day cancellation period for all guests.

To address one of your comments,

DCL did NOT ban bringing your own alcohol onboard.

They only required people limit it to:

-You may bring one bottle of wine or champage per person over age 21, or 6 bottles or cans of beer

[sNIP]

There are two big differences.

1. DCL is not banning smoking. They are simply requiring people to smoke in a more suitable area to minimize impact on customers who don't want to have to breathe in second-hand smoke.

Don't see a big difference, we allow you to do this now, not anymore.

But yes there is a larger time difference between the requirements being enforced.

ex techie

To address one of your comments,

DCL did NOT ban bringing your own alcohol onboard.

They only required people limit it to:

Don't see a big difference, we allow you to do this now, not anymore.

But yes there is a larger time difference between the requirements being enforced.

ex techie

My husband and I collect wine. We like our wine aged. There is very little with any appreciable age on it on DCL (or any other cruise line). We gladly pay a corkage fee and don't pull the "carry the glass into the dining room" crapola that so many others do to avoid it. Typically we drink a bottle with dinner every night on vacation. Three nights=three bottles. Two of us. Do the math.

My husband and I collect wine. We like our wine aged. There is very little with any appreciable age on it on DCL (or any other cruise line). We gladly pay a corkage fee and don't pull the "carry the glass into the dining room" crapola that so many others do to avoid it. Typically we drink a bottle with dinner every night on vacation. Three nights=three bottles. Two of us. Do the math.

I appreciate what you like and what you thought you could before DCL changed the policy dicklite.

I guess in your own words, if DCL had not rescinded the restriction on alcohol, you would have had the choice to buy the third bottle from the ship

What an innovative idea...

But it remains that they changed the policy and you didn't agree with it, so you chose to express your dislike on here and elsewhere.

They were only restricting the amount of alcohol you could bring on when already booked, as opposed to bringing as much as you like which you disagree with.

But yet you agree with restricting smoking from areas which were smoking areas when booked, and now are restricted?

I see no other difference between DCL changing the alcohol policy and smoking policy apart from the notice given? (well apart from you like drinking alcohol and do not like smoking)

(both which are legal for those of age)

ex techie

I appreciate what you like and what you thought you could before DCL changed the policy dicklite.

I guess in your own words, if DCL had not rescinded the restriction on alcohol, you would have had the choice to buy the third bottle from the ship

If we could find one to our liking. That would be like requiring people to buy their cigarettes from the ship, and only carrying Lucky Strikes.

But it remains that they changed the policy and you didn't agree with it, so you chose to express your dislike on here and elsewhere.

As I said, had we been given notice before the final payment period, I wouldn't have cared. i would have simply cancelled. Therein lies the difference.

They were only restricting the amount of alcohol you could bring on when already booked, as opposed to bringing as much as you like which you disagree with.

But yet you agree with restricting smoking from areas which were smoking areas when booked, and now are restricted?

They aren't restricting the number of cigarettes being allowed on.

I see no other difference between DCL changing the alcohol policy and smoking policy apart from the notice given? (well apart from you like drinking alcohol and do not like smoking)

(both which are legal for those of age)

ex techie

It's completely different. They aren't telling people they can only bring one pack of cigarettes per adult on. They are giving plenty of notice. Using your analogy, it would be like telling people that they could carry on alcohol, but only drink it in the restaurants, not in their cabin. Whatever, fine by me.

If we could find one to our liking. That would be like requiring people to buy their cigarettes from the ship, and only carrying Lucky Strikes.

As I said, had we been given notice before the final payment period, I wouldn't have cared. i would have simply cancelled. Therein lies the difference.

They aren't restricting the number of cigarettes being allowed on.

It's completely different. They aren't telling people they can only bring one pack of cigarettes per adult on. They are giving plenty of notice. Using your analogy, it would be like telling people that they could carry on alcohol, but only drink it in the restaurants, not in their cabin. Whatever, fine by me.

So if the notice period about 1 bottle per adult were given with 5 months notice you would have just cancelled even if you had already spent 2 grand on non refundable airfare?

ex techie

So if the notice period about 1 bottle per adult were given with 5 months notice you would have just cancelled even if you had already spent 2 grand on non refundable airfare?

ex techie

Yup. I would have found a nice resort and vacationed there instead.

Yup. I would have found a nice resort and vacationed there instead.

So then your wine for one night means as much to you as being able to smoke on the balcony does for some smokers. Especially those with mobility challenges.

YOU also cannot do without it.

ex techie

So then your wine for one night means as much to as it does for some smokers.

ex techie

I don't need it. I haven't had a drink in a week. I would choose to change my plans to something that suited me more--choice, not need. Big difference.

I don't need it. I haven't had a drink in a week. I would choose to change my plans to something that suited me more--choice, not need. Big difference.

and lose 2 grand?

(BTW I edited my previous post before you sent this one, so I think this post is unfair on you)

ex techie

So then your wine for one night means as much to you as being able to smoke on the balcony does for some smokers. Especially those with mobility challenges.

ex techie

No, they are very different. If I was told I couldn't drink on my balcony and had to bring the bottle to the restaurant, I would.

Smokers aren't being told they can't smoke. They aren't being restricted in the number of cigarettes they bring on board and being forced to buy off the ships limited selection should they desire more than is allowed to be brought on. They are only being told they must smoke in a place where the second-hand smoke won't impact others. The ship is accessible, so this has no bearing on the disabled. They are also being given ample notice of the change.

I can most certainly "do without it." I haven't had a drink in a week. I'm not addicted. I only drink wine--no other type of alcohol, and I drink it with nice dinners as it enhances the flavors of the food. You can't even compare a well aged high end bottle of wine paired with a great meal with a cigarette. There is absolutely no comparison.

and lose 2 grand?

(BTW I edited my previous post before you sent this one, so I think this post is unfair on you)

ex techie

Like I said, I'd still take the trip but find a nice resort to visit instead.

No, they are very different. If I was told I couldn't drink on my balcony and had to bring the bottle to the restaurant, I would.

Smokers aren't being told they can't smoke. They aren't being restricted in the number of cigarettes they bring on board and being forced to buy off the ships limited selection should they desire more than is allowed to be brought on. They are only being told they must smoke in a place where the second-hand smoke won't impact others. The ship is accessible, so this has no bearing on the disabled. They are also being given ample notice of the change.

I can most certainly "do without it." I haven't had a drink in a week. I'm not addicted. I only drink wine--no other type of alcohol, and I drink it with nice dinners as it enhances the flavors of the food. You can't even compare a well aged high end bottle of wine paired with a great meal with a cigarette. There is absolutely no comparison.

I have to disagree where the Dream is considered. I found the food to be much better than Applebees--which I think is terrible. While it certainly wasn't Gary Danko (except Remy) it was generally much better than any of the chains like Applebees and TGIF. I'd put it around Season's 52 or Legal Seafood. Upscale but not Michelin type.

Remy has nothing within your taste range?

So why not just skip the wine for soda water for a MDR night?

But you would seriously give up 2 grand and not complain about lack of notice having bought non refundable airfare?

ex techie

Remy has nothing within your taste range?

We ordered a bottle of Champagne from Remy, however at $400 a pop, no I'm not going to do that every night. No one is being told they have to spend more money if they want to smoke--that's another difference.

So why not just skip the wine for soda water for a MDR night?

Because we enjoy wine with our meals and don't drink soda.

But you would seriously give up 2 grand and not complain about lack of notice having bought non refundable airfare?

ex techie

They have eight months notice. I'd simply take my money elsewhere. There are some very nice resorts they could visit instead.

But the reality is that I'm not seeing the problem. They aren't being told they can't smoke, simply that they must contain the smoking to specified areas so as to not expose those around them to second hand smoke.

But the reality is that I'm not seeing the problem. They aren't being told they can't smoke, simply that they must contain the smoking to specified areas so as to not expose those around them to second hand smoke.

You want to know what's really funny about that? On the balcony, there might be a room on each side, and one or two above that "might" smell someone's smoke, although from all the reports in the 11 years I've been on the DIS Boards, I've only heard of someone being bothered a handful of times.

NOW....you're going to consolidate all those smokers into a couple of areas on the ship, some of which are completely unavoidable for non-smokers.

Disney is going to end up with 5 times the complaints that they might have had before.

We ordered a bottle of Champagne from Remy, however at $400 a pop, no I'm not going to do that every night. No one is being told they have to spend more money if they want to smoke--that's another difference.

No one said you had to buy a $400 every night, just that one night on the three dayer?

Because we enjoy wine with our meals and don't drink soda.

But you only had alcohol a week ago?

What do you drink with your evening meal in between then?

They have eight months notice. I'd simply take my money elsewhere. There are some very nice resorts they could visit instead.

Yes, 8 months between the announcement and sailing, not 8 months between the announcement and enforcement!

They booked flights already!!!!

Just in case you missed it, THEY ALREADY BOOKED THE FLIGHTS!

They are non refundable.

The cruise fare is, BUT NOT THE FLIGHTS! $3500 OF FLIGHTS NO MONEY BACK!

You had a problem with being restricted with how much of your personal booze you could bring (and by your own admission) you would cancel the cruise and give up $3500 because on one night you couldn't have an extra bottle.

God help me.

For that price you could have booked another person onboard with the third bottle!!!!

ex techie

You want to know what's really funny about that? On the balcony, there might be a room on each side, and one or two above that "might" smell someone's smoke, although from all the reports in the 11 years I've been on the DIS Boards, I've only heard of someone being bothered a handful of times.

NOW....you're going to consolidate all those smokers into a couple of areas on the ship, some of which are completely unavoidable for non-smokers.

Disney is going to end up with 5 times the complaints that they might have had before.

How are they completely unavoidable? We didn't find a single place on the Dream or the Magic that we couldn't bypass by taking a different route.

No one said you had to buy a $400 every night, just that one night on the three dayer?

And no one is making them buy cigarettes on the ship, either.

But you only had alcohol a week ago?

What do you drink with your evening meal in between then?

When I'm alone, water. My husband has been traveling for business.

Yes, 8 months between the announcement and sailing, not 8 months between the announcement and enforcement!

They booked flights already!!!!

Just in case you missed it, THEY ALREADY BOOKED THE FLIGHTS!

They are non refundable.

The cruise fare is, BUT NOT THE FLIGHTS! $3500 OF FLIGHTS NO MONEY BACK!

You had a problem with being restricted with how much of your personal booze you could bring (and by your own admission) you would cancel the cruise and give up $3500 because on one night you couldn't have an extra bottle.

God help me.

For that price you could have booked another person onboard with the third bottle!!!!

ex techie

I wouldn't be giving up $3500. I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand. I would cancel the cruise, keep the plane tickets, and book a resort in the area where the cruise was to be starting.

Like I said, I'd still take the trip but find a nice resort to visit instead.

That works out just peachy if you're a party of adults only, but if you have kids or grandkids who want DISNEY...then it doesn't work so well, does it?

I think this will open whole can of worms. Example: From 6pm to 6am you are allowed to smoke out on deck 4 promanade. At the moment there are not much smokers utilizing this area but after this new policy takes effect there will be a lot of smokers, so the non-smokers that like to jog or power walk in the evening, play shuffle board or just relax on the lounges will be in a heavy smokey area. I can hear all the pissing and moaning already. :D

I think this will open whole can of worms. Example: From 6pm to 6am you are allowed to smoke out on deck 4 promanade. At the moment there are not much smokers utilizing this area but after this new policy takes effect there will be a lot of smokers, so the non-smokers that like to jog or power walk in the evening, play shuffle board or just relax on the lounges will be in a heavy smokey area. I can hear all the pissing and moaning already. :D

The joggers/walkers have already been complaining about that for years.

They actually used to allow smoking at any time, both starboard and port, on Deck 4.....they changed it to the 6pm-6am to accomodate the walkers and joggers.

They're all going to be complaining about how much more smoke there is around the adult pool on all four ships. Even though the smoking section is one deck up from the pool on the Dream and Fantasy, it's open below, and it's still going to waft down there.

Oh well.

I could never imagine changing my vacation because I couldn't engage in something that is offensive to most and will kill me and sicken those who live with me. It's cigarettes, people. Little sticks of death that no longer are socially acceptable. Get used to more prohibitions/limitations. People who value their health don't want to smell your puffs of death.

Archived