Grand Buffet on Silhouette????????

midwestchick

I believe I've read that the grand buffet is normally the last full day your on the ship. Can any past Silhouette cruisers, especially those that have done the Eastern Med and Greek Isles Cruise tell me when this has normally been held for them?

I just realized I booked an excursion for our last full day in Venice that would begin at 9:30 A.M. and I may have to cancel it. After seeing the pictures of the food and expecially the white chocolate fountain I certainly don't want to miss this. Yes...I know all the negatives about buffets...everyone handling the utensils and yada, yada, but I'm still looking forward to it...especially since we planned on going as soon as it begins which I believe is 10:00 A.M.

It is always held on a sea day, never on a port day. When is your last sea day? That is when to look for the gala buffet.

Last sea day is Sept. 13. Is it the grand buffet or the gala buffet? My terminology may have not been correct.

So, if they have the buffet on a sea day and we have 3 formal nights, will they still do one of the formal nights on that same sea day that they do the buffet?

Yes...I've much to learn since we're new to sailing. I appreciate your input.

You're the poster that did such a wonderful job with the staterooms. I did post about our's but did not see that you had posted. Perhaps you were gone for a bit.

Grand buffet, gala buffet, same thing.

Yes, they could do it on the same day as the last formal night if that is the way the schedule falls.

Is there any way to find out for sure before we cruise or do you normally have to wait until you're on the ship? Sorry for the questions...just something more that popped into my mind as I'm do all the last minute preparations.

While I've got your attention, can you tell me about 7225 on the Silhouette? ;)

there is no way to tell for sure before you board.

Try the s-class cabin sticky for information about specific staterooms

I believe I did...don't recall seeing it there. I was also following your thread. I loved all your pictures and descriptions. :D I do think your's were mostly starboard. I purposely booked portside on the hump.

Just finished the 11 day Eastern Med on Reflection. Formal nights were first and third sea day. Brunch buffet was second sea day.

Thank you. And was the buffet wonderful or not so wonderful?

I'm sure your cruise was wonderful. :D

Cruisestitch,

I thought that was you that did a description of one of the S ships with all the cabins. Sorry. I know you posted on that thread.

I have done the buffet several times. It is basically the same food as in the Oceanview café with a few additions, such as the chocolate fountain and piles of shrimp. There are ice sculptures etc. but it's really IMO not all that great nor special. Crowded. I just asked DH his opinion and he said "it's the same food in a different location".

OTOH it will NOT be during your port day in Venice. No worries there.

I have done the buffet several times. It is basically the same food as in the Oceanview café with a few additions, such as the chocolate fountain and piles of shrimp. There are ice sculptures etc. but it's really IMO not all that great nor special. Crowded. I just asked DH his opinion and he said "it's the same food in a different location".

OTOH it will NOT be during your port day in Venice. No worries there.

Cathy, my DH says the exact same thing. We went once, that was enough. Just not for us. We are not Brunch people anyway.

You should have no problems making it on your itinerary. Make your excursion plan, that's more important anyway. You can always eat-all-you-want but you can't always see lovely Venice (or whatever port).

We don't go to the brunches/gala buffet/whatever it's called anymore. Once we made the mistake of going at the very beginning. Too crowded, everyone wanting to see it all and take pictures of food and in a hurry to make sure they didn't miss out on something. Best bet is IF you're going, wait at least an hour and let people settle in. It's kind of a cattle call at the beginning. I'm not trying to discourage you from going but just stating that it's not a relaxing time.

And the poster is correct, it's basically the same as Oceanview with some fancier presentations. But it's still a large amount of food in steam trays.

We always go to Bistro on Five that day. Kind of our tradition - embarkation day and gala buffet day. Avoids the worst crowds.

Library Lady is one who has posted spread sheets and reviews of cabins.

Thank you. And was the buffet wonderful or not so wonderful?

I'm sure your cruise was wonderful. :D

Cruisestitch,

I thought that was you that did a description of one of the S ships with all the cabins. Sorry. I know you posted on that thread.

Hi Nancy and Tom, I think you are meaning 'cruisetrail' who has posted a very concise description of the S class ships, with loads of pics and some videos. His information has certainly helped me in being happy I chose the right cabin :)

Jane

I agree w/ most of the above posters. It's a pretty presentation, esp in the beginning, but the food isn't considerably better than the buffet. And it can be jam packed crowded. Now I usually go toward the end of the gala buffet, and it's less crowded, but not as pretty as it was before the buzzards descended. I much prefer the sea day sit down lunches in the MDR.

Hi Nancy and Tom, I think you are meaning 'cruisetrail' who has posted a very concise description of the S class ships, with loads of pics and some videos. His information has certainly helped me in being happy I chose the right cabin :)

Jane

Yes, Jane...I thought that was him.

I agree w/ most of the above posters. It's a pretty presentation, esp in the beginning, but the food isn't considerably better than the buffet. And it can be jam packed crowded. Now I usually go toward the end of the gala buffet, and it's less crowded, but not as pretty as it was before the buzzards descended. I much prefer the sea day sit down lunches in the MDR.

I'll go early and at least look...and definitely hit the white chocolate fountain. Pineapple in white chocolate is to die for. If we're not happy with the food then we can hit the MDR. I'd better pack some larger clothing....LOL :D ;)

I'll go early and at least look...and definitely hit the white chocolate fountain. Pineapple in white chocolate is to die for. If we're not happy with the food then we can hit the MDR. I'd better pack some larger clothing....LOL :D ;)

The Brunch is held in the MDR so it will not be open for lunch that day.

Many, many people love the brunch, including us. I disagree that everything foodwise is the same as the buffet - at the brunch they have both breakfast and lunch foods and the presentation is spectacuar. Love taking pictures of the assortment of foods and waiters/servers. I would never not consider doing this as a person new to cruising - make up your own mind as many people who have sailed for years are tired of it. JMHO.

The Brunch is held in the MDR so it will not be open for lunch that day.

Many, many people love the brunch, including us. I disagree that everything foodwise is the same as the buffet - at the brunch they have both breakfast and lunch foods and the presentation is spectacuar. Love taking pictures of the assortment of foods and waiters/servers. I would never not consider doing this as a person new to cruising - make up your own mind as many people who have sailed for years are tired of it. JMHO.

That's right...I remember reading that now. Wonder how one poster can eat lunch in the MDR when they have the brunch. :confused: :rolleyes:

I've been looking forward to this ever since I read about it. :D My husband has not seen a lot of pictures because he wants to be surprised but I did show him the grand buffet pictures. He is looking forward to it as well.

The brunch is just that...breakfast and lunch;) so maybe the person

who had lunch there chose the "lunch foods" rather than the

"breakfast foods".

Over the years on here opinions about it always vary. (Just like every

other subject). Some people love the brunch, some hate it and others

are just apathetic and could care less.

Archived