Question concerning tipping

Bernie388

Everytime the tipping threads come up I always post about the days when we tipped the last night with the evelopes, I guess all those good cash tippers were seasick because the dining room was always half full.:rolleyes:

That only started when alternative dining started, and was offered on tip night. That was their mistake. The alternative before that was to miss a meal.

Tips should be mandatory, period.

All cruise lines should add the mandatory gratuities onto the cruise fare, problem solved.

Anyone who wants to tip extra, you are more than welcome to!

sure and remove all incentive to work hard. leave it as is until supply exceeds demand then we can talk.

All cruise lines should add the mandatory gratuities onto the cruise fare, problem solved.

That would only hurt those employees. Once it became a service charge, all those employees would be converted to salaries. Imagine being the new guy busting your butt, and getting the low newly hired salary, and the long timer WHI moves slower than uncle Joe, who gets the higher salary.

That's what a lot of people would love including myself

But the cheap will fight you until death:)

In their countries they will be rich,food and board is included,they knew what the job was when they signed a contract

I agree make cruises more expensive .$499 for a week is crazy.Cruises were more expensive 20 years ago and everything else is more expensive today in the world.Lets add the fuel supplement too :)

Those same $499 for the week cruisers want $250 a night (7) steakhouse dinners and MDR lunch as well as breakfast and lets not have a shortage of snails ;)

That only started when alternative dining started, and was offered on tip night. That was their mistake. The alternative before that was to miss a meal.

:cool:But where were all those great cash tippers going to??:rolleyes: I hear on these threads from long time cruisers who say they have always tipped above and beyond of what was expected, where were they???:rolleyes: Also this was before alternative dining!! I don't remember the Fantasy having a steakhouse in the 90's or now!!

:cool:But where were all those great cash tippers going to??:rolleyes: I hear on these threads from long time cruisers who say they have always tipped above and beyond of what was expected, where were they???:rolleyes: Also this was before alternative dining!! I don't remember the Fantasy having a steakhouse in the 90's or now!!

They are at the pursers desk in line, Saturday night after the buffet taking away $11.50 PP from their sign and sail card after getting awesome service the entire week.

Long lines now

;)

They are at the pursers desk in line, Saturday night after the buffet taking away $11.50 PP from their sign and sail card after getting awesome service the entire week.

Long lines now

;)

:cool:Sorry this was before the auto-tips, you were expected to tip your servers the last night with the evelopes. So that rules out that theory!!;)

Not the steakhouse. The buffet. It wasn't open tip night.

Hold on a sec... I need to make some popcorn. smiley-face-popcorn.gif

I was thinking I need to put on my hip boots, because it is going to get deep in here.

A little part of me always thinks the people that say they are removing so they can pay in cash, plus a little more, are really removing so they can tip a little less, if any at all, but by saying it here they feel better.

I always wonder about those that say they give the room steward and waiter a 20 at the start and end, just because, are fibbing a little also.

I was thinking I need to put on my hip boots, because it is going to get deep in here.

A little part of me always thinks the people that say they are removing so they can pay in cash, plus a little more, are really removing so they can tip a little less, if any at all, but by saying it here they feel better.

I always wonder about those that say they give the room steward and waiter a 20 at the start and end, just because, are fibbing a little also.

Why would anyone lie about a $20 bill or a few lol.This is the internet and a message board.It could be be we tips $100s before and after ,during ,twice a day lol

But the people that remove tips you nailed that one :)

:cool:So those good cash tippers skipped out of the MDR to eat in the buffet???:rolleyes: That is why they put in the auto-tip, to try and stop the cheap skates skipping out!!!!:mad:

Exactly. I still remember the looks on their faces the first cruise I was on where the lido was open tip night. The MDR was a desert.

Then it is not a tip. When we go out to eat, I do not tip any standard percentage. When the bills comes, if it was good service we usually do about 25%, if it was less than good, about 10% and if it just plain sucked, I give nothing. Same goes for any other service that is standardly tipped.

I used to be a cocktail waitress, beleive me, I knew how to give great service to get great tips.

I am amazed and the downright rude waitress/waiters we have had at times when eating out. I will not tip for poor service, period.

If you want to call it service gratuities, then thats what it is --a gratuity. I will decide what I want to tip and how well the service was for that tip.

If the cruiselines want to use a standard amount to supplement salaries, then increase the fare and dont add some fake tips.

That would only hurt those employees. Once it became a service charge, all those employees would be converted to salaries. Imagine being the new guy busting your butt, and getting the low newly hired salary, and the long timer WHI moves slower than uncle Joe, who gets the higher salary.

This is complete nonsense.

I have cruised 20+ times with Carnival.. I have always left my tips on until about 3 years ago(?).. When... they raised the gratuity amount and service in the dining room slowed to a crawl and food was less quality and cold..still is a lot of the time. When room stewards took on more rooms and I was serviced ALOT less, sometimes not at all..and this still happens.. I will not "tip" more for less service than I received in 2002 when I started cruising on Carnival. Not gonna happen..

Yes, I still cruise and have a fantastic time.. but of my own accord..but almost always the area I have issues every cruise is in the dining room and stateroom..

I tip where the service is what it should be and I also have tipped the counselors in Camp Carnival and the Clubs as my children got older. I tip room service and laundry delivery. If and that's a big if, the other areas are good I will leave the auto tips, if not they come off and I will tip was I feel the service was good for.

I have cruised 20+ times with Carnival.. I have always left my tips on until about 3 years ago(?).. When... they raised the gratuity amount and service in the dining room slowed to a crawl and food was less quality and cold..still is a lot of the time. When room stewards took on more rooms and I was serviced ALOT less, sometimes not at all..and this still happens.. I will not "tip" more for less service than I received in 2002 when I started cruising on Carnival. Not gonna happen..

Yes, I still cruise and have a fantastic time.. but of my own accord..but almost always the area I have issues every cruise is in the dining room and stateroom..

I tip where the service is what it should be and I also have tipped the counselors in Camp Carnival and the Clubs as my children got older. I tip room service and laundry delivery. If and that's a big if, the other areas are good I will leave the auto tips, if not they come off and I will tip was I feel the service was good for.

So you are blaming your wait staff and room steward for cruise line cutbacks that they have no control over? Also what does food quality have to do with your waiter, they don't prepare the food?

Why would anyone lie about a $20 bill or a few lol.This is the internet and a message board.It could be be we tips $100s before and after ,during ,twice a day lol

But the people that remove tips you nailed that one :)

No it is the stories that get told about

We give a $20 to each of the cabin stewards assistants and a 50 to the cabin steward, then the first night of dinner do the same to the wait staff and then on the last night we do the same, plus we tip the bartenders 5 for each drink plus the 20 to get things started and on and on, I agree that a few do, but I think most that say it here on CC are fibbing a bit, or at least stretching it some. I say that because later in life they will complain that the steakhouse costs 35 per person, or the price of excursions, or bingo.

The other about removing, I have been in line at the service desk and heard people removing the tips, and when offered envelopes have said, why, we don't need them.

So you are blaming your wait staff and room steward for cruise line cutbacks that they have no control over? Also what does food quality have to do with your waiter, they don't prepare the food?

They don't cook the food in the Steakhouse either, put some people claim they add $20 to $50 to the tip because the food is so good.

But I'm not going to pay more for less service. I don't know whose fault it is. Is it the cook? Or the waiter leaving it sitting there and not serving it, so it's cold? Room not being serviced even once a day? Not acceptable. So, because Carnival has cut back I am supposed to tip anyway? For less service? Just allows Carnival to continue doing it. It's not an entitlement, it's for doing a good job.

It is what it is. I was happy to pay in the past every penny plus some because it was that good. It's hard to swallow how it's changed..

I have cruised 20+ times with Carnival.. I have always left my tips on until about 3 years ago(?).. When... I was serviced ALOT less, sometimes not at all..and this still happens.. I will not "tip" more for less service than I received in 2002 when I started cruising on Carnival. Not gonna happen..

You only tip when you get "serviced"

what kind of cruise are you going on?

I do agree the service has slipped in most areas of the ship due to cut backs on the amount of crew available.

Guess I didn't word that the best way..

You only tip when you get "serviced"

what kind of cruise are you going on?

I do agree the service has slipped in most areas of the ship due to cut backs on the amount of crew available.

Archived