Question concerning tipping

Bernie388

Carnival has said that the only person no longer included in the Alternative Service group and therefore not necessary to tip are the Maitre' D

I'm pretty sure that the girl shining the baseboards along the Promenade doesn't get a salary.

Im pretty sure she does.

I am traveling with a friend in October who has already informed me that she always removes the automatic tips and then tips the crew in cash ~ however this sort of makes me uncomfortable because I know she's a bit cheap so I hope she actually will tip at all! I always leave the auto tips on and then tip extra to the ones that go above and beyond (which are most of them imo). I don't want to be associated with someone who doesn't tip or tips cheaply! I guess I'll find out in 71 days :cool:

Why, because cheapness is contagious. Tipping is suggested, it's personal and really no one's business. If it becomes your business simply budget more of your funds to cover the lost tips. That's putting one's money where the mouth is, since you already claimed you tip extra!

People who work on cruise ships do so willingly. And they do it knowing full well how the tipping policy works. That's how they expect to be paid.

The system works. The staff is happy or else they would be working somewhere else.

The hubris of some the people on this board is amazing. Do you really think you know better than the cruise line?

I will never be convinced that people remove tips for the benefit of the staff. People remove tips for one of two reasons.......1. Because they're cheap and they're not going to tip at all or 2. Because they have some sad need to have their feet kissed and their largess praised when bestowing a tip upon someone.

Many people here talk about how great their staff was and how they just want to make sure they know they're appreciated blah, blah, blah. if you really want the staff to know you appreciate them, leave the auto tips alone and leave a nice thank you card with some extra $ in your cabin or on the dining table the last night.

If you have to be fawned over for giving a tip, it's certainly not about your staff. It's all about you. :rolleyes:

What is your source of information?

It's not being split up at all. It goes directly into Carnivals Payroll account. The more they get the customers to contribute, the bigger yachts they can buy.

Keep contributing.

If the day comes that meals are not part of the cruise cost and folks are presented s bill at the end of each MDR meal, it will be food overtaking liquor as the most smuggled items. Then folks would create more excuses to justify not tipping.

one should never discuss tipping, religion or politics. Lol.

LOL

Brenda (taz967)

And dress codes and smoking and chair logs and...:p

Brenda, save some popcorn for me too!!!;):D

one should never discuss tipping, religion or politics. Lol.

Or passports!

Quite frankly, I wish they would just eliminate the tipping and add it on to the cost of the cruise. You wind up paying for it anyway so why not just include it in the original cost. We always pre-pay ours and know what the final cost is going to be. We've never ask for anything special and have never had any service other than one time that was out of the ordinary. That time we did give extra.

Exactly. I still remember the looks on their faces the first cruise I was on where the lido was open tip night. The MDR was a desert.

I was cruising back when we were given envelopes for tips on the last night and I have never experienced the MDR being a desert on the last night.

Im pretty sure she does.

There is a difference between a salary which is guaranteed and an hourly wage which isn't.

I was cruising back when we were given envelopes for tips on the last night and I have never experienced the MDR being a desert on the last night.

There is a difference between a salary which is guaranteed and an hourly wage which isn't.

Was it atthe time they began opening the lido restaurant for dinner? I even remember the year and ship for me. '97 on the Imagination.

Was it atthe time they began opening the lido restaurant for dinner? I even remember the year and ship for me. '97 on the Imagination.

My 1st two cruises were in 83 and 84 and there wasn't a Lido buffet on the Festivale other than some pastries at breakfast and some hamburgers at lunch.

The next 28 cruises since 2001 have always had a Lido buffet every night including the last one. I rarely eat in the buffet and enjoy the last night goodbye's in the MDR, so in my experience I'm not seeing what you are describing.

My 1st two cruises were in 83 and 84 and there wasn't a Lido buffet on the Festivale other than some pastries at breakfast and some hamburgers at lunch.

The next 28 cruises since 2001 have always had a Lido buffet every night including the last one. I rarely eat in the buffet and enjoy the last night goodbye's in the MDR, so in my experience I'm not seeing what you are describing.

I guess you're just not following.

Originally, there was no alternative dining for dinner. When they started it, to offer dinner to those who didn't want to dress up, it was offered every night, except tip night.

Then finally, it was opened for tip night, and autotip was introduced not too long after that. It was in between these two events that we experienced the empty MDR's.

Therefore, if you're actually trying to pinpoint what I experienced in your cruising career, you have to figure out what ship were you on when the lido restaurant was open on tip night, and tipping was still done in cash prior to the start of autotip.

Rhetorical question though. I'm not looking for your answer; just expressing my experience.

People who work on cruise ships do so willingly. And they do it knowing full well how the tipping policy works. That's how they expect to be paid.

The system works. The staff is happy or else they would be working somewhere else.

The hubris of some the people on this board is amazing. Do you really think you know better than the cruise line?

I will never be convinced that people remove tips for the benefit of the staff. People remove tips for one of two reasons.......1. Because they're cheap and they're not going to tip at all or 2. Because they have some sad need to have their feet kissed and their largess praised when bestowing a tip upon someone.

Many people here talk about how great their staff was and how they just want to make sure they know they're appreciated blah, blah, blah. if you really want the staff to know you appreciate them, leave the auto tips alone and leave a nice thank you card with some extra $ in your cabin or on the dining table the last night.

If you have to be fawned over for giving a tip, it's certainly not about your staff. It's all about you. :rolleyes:

well said

I never had a problem with auto tipping till I went on a cruise with my whole family, which included two toddlers.

I couldn't BELIEVE that auto tips also came out of the toddlers accounts. Really???? If I go out to eat, I give one tip from all of us based on the amount spent and the service. If I go to a hotel, the tip is PER FAMILY...not per person!

Why should toddlers who never worked at a job be expected to come up with their own 20%???? That's when I took matters in my own hands and removed the tips from the kiddos accounts. I bet there are many who don't even pay attention since I don't see it mentioned in the complaints....so I'd say that more than makes up for the tips lost elsewhere....

I never had a problem with auto tipping till I went on a cruise with my whole family, which included two toddlers.

I couldn't BELIEVE that auto tips also came out of the toddlers accounts. Really???? If I go out to eat, I give one tip from all of us based on the amount spent and the service. If I go to a hotel, the tip is PER FAMILY...not per person!

Why should toddlers who never worked at a job be expected to come up with their own 20%???? That's when I took matters in my own hands and removed the tips from the kiddos accounts. I bet there are many who don't even pay attention since I don't see it mentioned in the complaints....so I'd say that more than makes up for the tips lost elsewhere....

Especially if they are in your cabin. It takes the same amount of time to vacuum a cabin if 1 person is sleeping in there or 12. They are only so big.

I like some of the rest do it this way too.

When I find time, (normally the first day) I will go to the Purser's desk and get the tips removed from my bill. I then take the envelopes they have on the desk, and take my "cash" money I have, and pass it out to those that have taken good care of us at the end of the cruise. This way, I KNOW those that "we think" have done a good job, do get the money. I'm sure they all do, but this is my way of "making sure. :)

Why in the world would not ever worked before have to do with tipping. So you are saying that if your spouse doesn't work, tips should be removed for him/her?? In addition the waiters and stewards are going to take more time to wait on and clean a room for 4 people than just 2.

Especially if they are in your cabin. It takes the same amount of time to vacuum a cabin if 1 person is sleeping in there or 12. They are only so big.

WOW. There is more done than just vacuuming a room that a steward has to do. There are beds to be made. Bathrooms to be cleaned and restocked with towels etc. I have had kids and I can tell you there is may more work for the steward with 2 kids in the room with their parents than just 2 adults.

Gregg

Your kids don't eat? Kids don't use toilet paper, towels, bed linen, drinking glassses? You haul off all diapers? Sweep up all crumbs? Wipe down the counters where they touched?

Why in the world would not ever worked before have to do with tipping. So you are saying that if your spouse doesn't work, tips should be removed for him/her?? In addition the waiters and stewards are going to take more time to wait on and clean a room for 4 people than just 2.

WOW. There is more done than just vacuuming a room that a steward has to do. There are beds to be made. Bathrooms to be cleaned and restocked with towels etc. I have had kids and I can tell you there is may more work for the steward with 2 kids in the room with their parents than just 2 adults.

Gregg

I have 3 of my own. The only real measurable variable would be making of the extra beds. Towelsand all those other items happen whether there is one or 50 in the cabin. Frankly, they should cut down the servicing to 1x a day, like they do in a hotel. Oh, and there are no hands out at the hotel looking for a tip.

Archived