Question concerning tipping

Bernie388

Have a friend who has done this on 7 previous Carnival cruises, wanted to see what everyone things.

He removes the automatic tips from his sail and sign account and pays the MDR staff and the room steward staff in person along with some additional money. He says the staff is very appreciative to have the cash in hand.

I have always pre paid tips and ALWAYS give extra to all the staff on the last night of the cruise. If this helps the staff out, I would consider doing this as well. I appreciate all they do for us and want to help them if this is something they would like. Any thoughts?

Both are acceptable.

How one wants to tip is between him and the people assigned to him. The staff is more concerned THAT you're tipping, not how you tip, but as with anything, each person is different in their preferences.

BTW, tipping in cash used to be the only way you could do it.

The mdr wait staff and the room steward are not the only ones that receive the tips that you give so if your friend does this then some that should be getting a tip from him is not.

Tips are allocated as follows:

$ 3.70 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

The mdr wait staff and the room steward are not the only ones that receive the tips that you give so if your friend does this then some that should be getting a tip from him is not.

$ 2.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

Only the first two. That last group of people do not get tips. They get a salary. That money goes to Carnival to help them pay that salary. So does your fare.

Wow, I wasn't aware of the tips going to Alternative services as well. That's good to know. Thanks for the info....

I find that the people who usually brag about removing the tips are usually just trying to cheapen the price of the cruise. Had a friend on last cruise bragging about removing the tip because he would tip more in person on the last night. Last night came and he forgot to bring money to dinner. Imagine that .

Only the first two. That last group of people do not get tips. They get a salary. That money goes to Carnival to help them pay that salary. So does your fare.

Carnival has said that the only person no longer included in the Alternative Service group and therefore not necessary to tip are the Maitre' D

The people in that group that would be shorted on tips if they are removed are the waitstaff that work exclusively in the buffet (where most of the MDR staff have to start out and still work there occasionally throughout the cruise). The hotel staff that's involved in cleaning the public area's of the ship.

I'm pretty sure that the girl shining the baseboards along the Promenade doesn't get a salary.

But I understand what I think some peoples point is; that Carnival included these Alternative Service people in the tipping pool so that our tips, rather than Carnivals overhead pays the bulk of their weekly wages.

I always feel our room steward deserves more than the dining room staff. Simply bc we cruise with our kids and we usually have at least one disaster!! We go down and add more to our tips just bc we feel bad! We also have adjusted MDR tips to accommodate for the nights we don't go

To the dining room.

Carnival has said that the only person no longer included in the Alternative Service group and therefore not necessary to tip are the Maitre' D

The people in that group that would be shorted on tips if they are removed are the waitstaff that work exclusively in the buffet (where most of the MDR staff have to start out and still work there occasionally throughout the cruise). The hotel staff that's involved in cleaning the public area's of the ship.

I'm pretty sure that the girl shining the baseboards along the Promenade doesn't get a salary.

But I understand what I think some peoples point is; that Carnival included these Alternative Service people in the tipping pool so that our tips, rather than Carnivals overhead pays the bulk of their weekly wages.

Using that logic, all those people must have worked for free before that alternative fee showed up, or even auto tipping began.

But you should look around. Those people that you tip for three service meals, are usually the same ones up top that are doing dinner below. There's no need to tip them twice, especially for self serve.

Moreso, for the people that eat all three service meals in the MDR.

And the MD was never part of the DR tip nor the alternative tip group. He was separate. And even when that went away, in December of '11, there were people here stating that the MD was saying his salary wasn't adjusted. Same for those saying the tip is not included in the steakhouse fee.

Believe what you want, and tip who you like. But certainly not the people that provide no servce to you, nor do you even know how they do their job. I will leave that up to the people they report to and pay them their agreed upon salary when they were hired.

It amazes me that people are so cheap to remove the auto tip or not tip at all. Being in the restaurant business my whole life, this is the staffs main source of income. The wages on a cruise ship are very low for the amount of work these people do and they deserve the tips (for the most part). Imagine working 7 days a week 15+ hours a day for a minimal wage. There is a reason the ships are flagged in other countries and not the US (labor laws are very different).

It amazes me that people are so cheap to remove the auto tip or not tip at all. Being in the restaurant business my whole life, this is the staffs main source of income.

Not if you found management was deflecting some of your tips to the guitarist.

It was an insult to those hard working staffers on board during the last increase, where the stewards got 20¢ more per person per day, and the MDR wait staff got 30¢ per person per day, and alternative services, like housekeeping, entertainment, and such went up $1 per person per day.

With cash, I can give that entire amount to the guys and girls that take care of me. And no one has to know about it.

It amazes me that people are so cheap to remove the auto tip or not tip at all. Being in the restaurant business my whole life, this is the staffs main source of income. The wages on a cruise ship are very low for the amount of work these people do and they deserve the tips (for the most part). Imagine working 7 days a week 15+ hours a day for a minimal wage. There is a reason the ships are flagged in other countries and not the US (labor laws are very different).

It amazes me how lacking in what should be common knowledge people are.

It was an insult to those hard working staffers on board during the last increase, where the stewards got 20¢ more per person per day, and the MDR wait staff got 30¢ per person per day, and alternative services, like housekeeping, entertainment, and such went up $1 per person per day.

With cash, I can give that entire amount to the guys and girls that take care of me. And no one has to know about it.

I get a kick out of it when people start yelling about people you never see not getting tipped. I do not tip people I never see, and I will not start now.

I like the auto tip , one less thing to worry about doing. However we do give our room attendant extra cash at the end of the cruise.

I also collect $7.00 from myself and two friends to tip room service each morning when the coffee arrives, just easier to have a stash of singles to tip out when needed.

It amazes me how lacking in what should be common knowledge people are.

I am amazed at the lack of courteous discourse by certain posters and the inability to have a discussion about the various sides of an issue, without becoming insulting and offensive. Repeatedly, on thread after thread.

:cool:

I get a kick out of it when people start yelling about people you never see not getting tipped. I do not tip people I never see, and I will not start now.

This is how most non tippers think. No, you don't see the laundry worker who washes, dries and folds sheets, towels, washcloths. If they didn't do this, how can your steward look good? How often do you see the stewards assistant? He/she likely does as much work.

Do I tip a waiter? Depends. But whether you eat in the DR, buffet, pizza places etc, guess what? Someone has prepared that food, cleaned the dishes so things will be there for you. Who gets the credit? The waiter who's sole job is take your order and deliver the results of the behind the scenes workers.

I never tip a MD, they might possibly say hello once, if your lucky, and has his hand ready for a tip. I might see tipping if I requested something and he came through with the request, but so far I've not needed anything special.

By holding back on auto tipping, many people get stiffed (the ones who actually make that visible person look good)

This is how most non tippers think. No, you don't see the laundry worker who washes, dries and folds sheets, towels, washcloths. If they didn't do this, how can your steward look good? How often do you see the stewards assistant? He/she likely does as much work.

Do I tip a waiter? Depends. But whether you eat in the DR, buffet, pizza places etc, guess what? Someone has prepared that food, cleaned the dishes so things will be there for you. Who gets the credit? The waiter who's sole job is take your order and deliver the results of the behind the scenes workers.

I never tip a MD, they might possibly say hello once, if your lucky, and has his hand ready for a tip. I might see tipping if I requested something and he came through with the request, but so far I've not needed anything special.

By holding back on auto tipping, many people get stiffed (the ones who actually make that visible person look good)

That's incorrect. Those salaried employees get the same amount week after week, regardless if you are helping Carnival pay for them.

what you fail to realize or point out is that the 20 and 30 cents comes out to more than the dollar because that 20 and 30 cents is not being split up where as that dollar is being split up by so many people that it probably works out to be pennies per person.

what you fail to realize or point out is that the 20 and 30 cents comes out to more than the dollar because that 20 and 30 cents is not being split up where as that dollar is being split up by so many people that it probably works out to be pennies per person.

It's not being split up at all. It goes directly into Carnivals Payroll account. The more they get the customers to contribute, the bigger yachts they can buy.

Keep contributing.

The person who gets the tip is the person who provided me with the direct service.

I also do not tip the truck drivers that brought the food, the utility comapany for providing the electricity or anyone else involved in making it possible for a person to provide me with service.

The person who gets the tip is the person who provided me with the direct service.

I also do not tip the truck drivers that brought the food, the utility comapany for providing the electricity or anyone else involved in making it possible for a person to provide me with service.

You forgot the guy(s) that fill the water and fuel coffers.

Archived