Question concerning tipping

Bernie388

It amazes me that people are so cheap to remove the auto tip or not tip at all. Being in the restaurant business my whole life, this is the staffs main source of income. The wages on a cruise ship are very low for the amount of work these people do and they deserve the tips (for the most part). Imagine working 7 days a week 15+ hours a day for a minimal wage. There is a reason the ships are flagged in other countries and not the US (labor laws are very different).

One reason is the fact they are not built in the US and thus cannot be flagged US. Sometimes things are more complicated or just simpler than they appear.

[/b]

WOW, I must of missed the thread on here which said that Carnival has changed the way tips are based from per person to per cabin. I have got to get better at reading threads.

Gregg

They didn't change--it's $11.50 per person over 2 y/o per day. Unsure about the numbers being thrown around here.

I choose not to make judgements about what other people make in salary or tips. (On a cruise ship or anyplace.) The auto-tips are not an unreasonable amount considering if I went to a comparable restaurant and tipped accordingly. Or considering a normal tip % for the total daily cost.

But the bottom-line simply is, it is not my business. Yes, I have a social conscious, but I also don't tilt at windmills. It is the system that works, so I comply.

I also always tip something extra. The service staff make my life more enjoyable on a cruise and I appreciate it... I show my appreciation by my courtesy and tip.

Regarding the apportioned tips... that's fine by me. If tips are distributed around the ship and that encourages them to smile, say 'good morning' or just feel more inclined to be friendly, I say 'Bravo!'

I also don't resent that Carnival collects the tips in this way. Businesses do this all the time... restaurant waiters often split tips with cooks, bussers, etc. I don't need to understand, know, or approve. It is their business. They didn't ask me how I paid for my cruise because that's my business.

But a cleaner aboard a Royal Caribbean ship, for example, will work 12 hours a day, seven days a week, for as little as $156.25 a week with no tips.

They do not get paid much, it's true. However, they get free accommodation and food while on board.

This might be cancelled out by the expenses of getting to the cruise ship in the first place, employment permit charges and the cost of their uniform though.

I think it's an interesting job for a young healthy person who wants to see some of the world and work for an international company for a while. You are certainly not going to earn much at all in financial terms, but you can have a lot of fun with the rest of the crew, I imagine.

I choose not to make judgements about what other people make in salary or tips. (On a cruise ship or anyplace.) The auto-tips are not an unreasonable amount considering if I went to a comparable restaurant and tipped accordingly. Or considering a normal tip % for the total daily cost.

But the bottom-line simply is, it is not my business. Yes, I have a social conscious, but I also don't tilt at windmills. It is the system that works, so I comply.

I also always tip something extra. The service staff make my life more enjoyable on a cruise and I appreciate it... I show my appreciation by my courtesy and tip.

Regarding the apportioned tips... that's fine by me. If tips are distributed around the ship and that encourages them to smile, say 'good morning' or just feel more inclined to be friendly, I say 'Bravo!'

I also don't resent that Carnival collects the tips in this way. Businesses do this all the time... restaurant waiters often split tips with cooks, bussers, etc. I don't need to understand, know, or approve. It is their business. They didn't ask me how I paid for my cruise because that's my business.

well said

I just insist that they charge me double when I book so that everyone is taken care of. Ill also bring a suitcase of 100s and just throw them around the halls, because those poor guys work so hard.

That is just how I roll.

:cool:

I was thinking I need to put on my hip boots, because it is going to get deep in here.

A little part of me always thinks the people that say they are removing so they can pay in cash, plus a little more, are really removing so they can tip a little less, if any at all, but by saying it here they feel better.

I always wonder about those that say they give the room steward and waiter a 20 at the start and end, just because, are fibbing a little also.

My vote for most intelligent answer

I just insist that they charge me double when I book so that everyone is taken care of. Ill also bring a suitcase of 100s and just throw them around the halls, because those poor guys work so hard.

That is just how I roll.

i thought i was the only one......

I couldnt help but think on my cruise that if the room stewards only visited rooms once a day they might be able to have less staff and pay them better but I digress. Why the heck do room stewards need to be in twice a day?

You should tip how much you want and its your choice to tell others about it. You shouldn't tip just because its 'done' thing and its traditional. A very small handful of countries are very tip happy ( 15% grats and over) so to a lot of cruisers around the world see it differently.

The fact the staff on a cruise are essentially stiffed by their company is a perfectly valid reason to tip them however I do wish the cruise line would just up the price and pay the staff fairly...same goes for bar staff in the US etc.

I will never trust the computer tipping system on a cruise, cash in hand means you know where it goes. People and carnival can assure you it all goes into the staff's pockets but thats probably bull.

I couldnt help but think on my cruise that if the room stewards only visited rooms once a day they might be able to have less staff and pay them better but I digress. Why the heck do room stewards need to be in twice a day?

You should tip how much you want and its your choice to tell others about it. You shouldn't tip just because its 'done' thing and its traditional. A very small handful of countries are very tip happy ( 15% grats and over) so to a lot of cruisers around the world see it differently.

The fact the staff on a cruise are essentially stiffed by their company is a perfectly valid reason to tip them however I do wish the cruise line would just up the price and pay the staff fairly...same goes for bar staff in the US etc.

I will never trust the computer tipping system on a cruise, cash in hand means you know where it goes. People and carnival can assure you it all goes into the staff's pockets but thats probably bull.

That's the cruise line industries dirty little secret. They don't want to be bothered.

But yes, remove the middle man, and deal directly with those that serve you.

I don't let the lines control my insurance money either.

That is just how I roll.

Slacker you should be leaving gold bars and $10000 bearer bonds.

That's the cruise line industries dirty little secret. They don't want to be bothered.

But yes, remove the middle man, and deal directly with those that serve you.

I don't let the lines control my insurance money either.

If they get $165/week plus room and board, who says they are being stiffed?

• 1 month later...

I've read of folks tipping for room service and that gratuity is added for drinks. If I pay my gratuities up front- does that NOT include the servers delivering cocktails?

And- if I want to tip room service when they bring me breakfast- do I hand them cash or put it on S&S?

Also, tipping extra at end- Cash???

I'm sure someone out there can fill me in.

I remember the old school way of leaving an envelope on the dresser in the cabin and handing an envelope over at dinner!

Thanks!

I've read of folks tipping for room service and that gratuity is added for drinks. If I pay my gratuities up front- does that NOT include the servers delivering cocktails?

And- if I want to tip room service when they bring me breakfast- do I hand them cash or put it on S&S?

Also, tipping extra at end- Cash???

I'm sure someone out there can fill me in.

I remember the old school way of leaving an envelope on the dresser in the cabin and handing an envelope over at dinner!

Thanks!

Those tips do not cover servers bringing your drinks 15% is added to your drink(s) some people tip an extra buck or two

Room service the tip is not included we usually tip around $5 in cash for breakfast

We tip extra at the end and when we meet our cabin steward the first day.Some people call it pre bribing before service is rendered but being a bartender I LOVE being bribed,it gets my attention ;)

Archived