930a to 530p port time enough for Alhambra

Cruzinbabe06

We will be in Malaga, Spain on our upcoming cruise and wanted to see the Alhambra Palace.

We decided to book independently using Spain Day Tours. I just checked our port times and realized our time is 930a to 530p.

This has me worried.:confused:

Should I just book thru the cruise line?

Spain Day Tours guarantee to have you back on time.

For those of you who's taken this shore excursion, what are your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

While they state the transfer time is 1.5 hours, I would always allow a minimum of 2 hours each way for this route to be driven safely.

Most lines usually let the ship tours off the ship first prior to all others, so you might not be off the ship until 10:15 or so. This gives you a maximum of 2 hours at the Alhambra with a private tour. You would gain at least 30 minutes more time with a ship's tour.

When you consider the savings are only about $30 per person over a ship tour, you might ask yourself if this added security would make the day more pleasant. (If you consider 79 euro + 13 euro = 92 euro. That is around $110 each)

The ship tours have a special line separate from those holding the hourly tickets and then authorized guides are given priority in each room in the Alhambra and are able to access without waiting.

The Alhambra is certainly one of my favorite spots in the world and is not to be missed.

Personally I wouldn't chance it - and I didn't! I am all for booking independent tours - getting it customized and usually cheaper. Now while there is little risk in doing that for some ports and places - like a small caribbean island that is 4 miles long - but when doing a longer more involved tour that is taking you two hours away from the port I would be more concerned.

I knew I could have booked it cheaper independently but my research indicated and everyone told me those alhambra tours always come back late!!! So yes I paid more and booked it thru the cruise line - figuring I was paying some 'insurance money' to make sure I was not left behind.

Lo and behold we did have some bad weather - and yes we were late getting back to port. Ship was to leave at 5 pm - we arrived at 5:15 pm and were the first of the four buses to get back.....sailaway was delayed (and in fact others who were late were very lucky as the ship was waiting for us and they got that added 'benefit' thank goodness).

I guess it all depends on your comfort zone? But the Alhambra is well worth the visit! (you can check out details and pics in my Breeze review - see link below near signature!) :)

Sounds risky to me.

We had a private driver booked, and we hit bad traffic coming back to Malaga. We made it in plenty of time, because we planned it that way, and we had longer than you, but still, it was stressful.

Find out if your guide is licensed to take you into the Alhambra. Ours wasn't; we knew this, didn't mind doing it on our own, but we had more time than you.

Consider what your next port is--is it a nearby city that you could get to by plane or train? Or is the ship heading out into the Atlantic? Our ship was going on to Lisbon, so we knew we could get there if we needed to.

Thank you for the responses.

I just pulled up my reservation and the Alhambra Tour is not even showing for booking.

I hope this is not the case.

I'll call in the morning to find out what the deal is.

When I came out of my reservation and went into general shore excursions it was $149, including lunch. I'm wondering if they took this excursion out of our cruise because of the time constraint.

If they have the tour, I think we'll just book with the cruise line for that peace of mind. Like someone mentioned, it's only $30 to $40 dollars more.

Spain Day Tours is 79 euros, plus, 13 euros for entrance and doesn't include lunch, which we don't have time for anyway.:eek: LOL

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted.

I would love to take this tour to Alhambra. However, it is not listed on the shore excursions for our TA aboard the Legend, either. We are in Malaga on November 1. That is All Saints Day and an important religious holiday in Spain.

So, maybe RC feels there will be too much traffic for the long trip. :( With the holiday I would not chance it on my own. [but, there are several on my roll call that have booked independently]

If they offer it I will book it. :) Are you reading this Royal?

Archived