Late return from Cosol tour?

briehon

I saw on another thread that a 6 hour tour with Cosol ended up lasting 9 hours and really pushed it getting back to the ship on time...anyone ever miss the ship with cosol? I have an all day excursion planned with them for November and now I am nervous!

I saw on another thread that a 6 hour tour with Cosol ended up lasting 9 hours and really pushed it getting back to the ship on time...anyone ever miss the ship with cosol? I have an all day excursion planned with them for November and now I am nervous!

We have one booked with them in September and I read the same review. I am a little nervous too. Most everything I have read has been positive. But this is a biggie!

My group of 4 is booked on this tour. You may want to check your "Roll Call" to see if anyone else from your ship is booked with Cosol. We have several folks from our Roll Call that are booked with Cosol. My estimate count is around 30 folks. If for some reason the tour runs late, I'm sure the boat will not take off with that many folks left to board. They, the ship, will know a tour is running late. I'm sure Cosol has a contingency plan to notify the ship that they are on their way back. I'm not worried if we run late.

• 3 weeks later...
My group of 4 is booked on this tour. You may want to check your "Roll Call" to see if anyone else from your ship is booked with Cosol. We have several folks from our Roll Call that are booked with Cosol. My estimate count is around 30 folks. If for some reason the tour runs late, I'm sure the boat will not take off with that many folks left to board. They, the ship, will know a tour is running late. I'm sure Cosol has a contingency plan to notify the ship that they are on their way back. I'm not worried if we run late.

I would be worried. Unless the tour is ship-sponsored, they are in no way obligated to wait no matter how many onboard are late. It seems like it would be "the right thing to do" but there are many other factors that impact the port schedules: permits, port taxes, pilot boat schedules, weather, your cruise contract, etc. On our RC cruise, we left behind some folks on a ship-sponsored tour, and a few others runiing late because of a ferry delay.Granted, it is not a common experience, but it does happen.

Seems like I would want some sort of assurance from Casol as far as getting me to my next port of call if he misses the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't switch!!

We did this tour on our Valor Sept 1st sailing. Yes the tour lasted 7.5 hours. We got back to the ship at 4pm, ship sailed at 5pm.

Awesome tour. Our driver Bernard (Fat Man) was great. Request him. They keep you fully hydrated. ;):D Buffet brunch is awesome. Tour stops are good, bat ride to Pitons and beach very nice. Great bread and cheese stop on way back to ship.

A lot of people from our roll call did this tour and we all loved it.

Edited by t_car
addition

• 4 weeks later...

I think if you are on a private excursion the ship does not wait.... we almost got left in Belize a few years ago.... the only thing that saved us was a ship based excursion was also late. I'm a little worried about booking this because I don't usually like to cut it that close :eek:

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this thread! This is a deal breaker for me and I don't need a 7.5 hour tour anyway. Would rather return with at least 2 hours before sailing.

I had a close call once in St Maarten (actually ran to the ship) because a tour was late. It only has to happen to you once before you swear off long independent excursions :eek:

Unfortunately, it's always the chance you take when you book through an independent.

LuLu

Of course not and I book independently almost all the time - without hesitation. However, if an independent operator lists as excursion duration of 7 hours and doesn't return promptly all the time they aren't allowing time for potential issues and that is not acceptable! They should always plan around ship schedules and plan to have passengers back in plenty of time.

Edited by LEtue

Of course not and I book independently almost all the time - without hesitation. However, if an independent operator lists as excursion duration of 7 hours and doesn't return promptly all the time they aren't allowing time for potential issues and that is not acceptable! They should always plan around ship schedules and plan to have passengers back in plenty of time.

Linda, did you find anyone who would give a shorter tour so there'd be plenty of room for delays? Sue

Linda, did you find anyone who would give a shorter tour so there'd be plenty of room for delays? Sue

Hi Sue,

I was leaning towards Spencer Ambrose and his Land & Sea Tour (which is still 6-7 hours). However, I am sailing on Celebrity and think I will book their excursion which is only $9 more(for 6 hours). It sounds very similar and it also makes it easy.

The only thing that makes me stay away from Cosol is the fact that many CCers are writing that his 7 hour tours are lasting 8 and 9 hours - and they aren't reporting reasons to support that. So that indicates that he just doesn't stick to a schedule and that is just pushing it too much for me. Afterall, things happen and there needs to be time to recover in order to make sure everyone is back to the ship on time.

I admit that I take extra care when booking long excursions (6 hours +) and don't take chances anymore. Like I said once was enough for me :eek:

Hello,

An update to my experience.

1) emailed cosol and they said they've never had anyone miss their cruise.

2) talked with the ship and they said they've never left anyone behind (despite the rumours)

3) the tour was a long day but for 65$, you get the the best bang for your buck. The whole time, we were passing/being passed by the Celebrity Summit Bus. (whom paid 99$/pp)

Tour went smooth and the buses were smaller than Celebrity Bus who had 15+ people vs 8-9.

The food was culturally unique and the bread was fabulous. Very fun experience.

As for the stops, they were quick and the views were amazing. Our group enjoyed it but be warned, both the Cruise guided trip and this trip both requires 6+ hrs and is alot of time in the bus. that being said, I would do it again because it was a really unique experience seeing so many different things in one day (Pitons, beauitful beach to snorkle at, banana farm, mud baths, waterfall and vast amounts of stops to take pictures of the countryside)

Ask for Ben.

we took cosol and it was a long tour, longer than the advert however the first thing they checked with us when we got in the bus was the time we all wanted to be back and he made sure we were

the tour was fantastic and for $65 worth every penny

we got an hour in the port when we got back too

Hello,

An update to my experience.

1) emailed cosol and they said they've never had anyone miss their cruise.

2) talked with the ship and they said they've never left anyone behind (despite the rumours)

3) the tour was a long day but for 65$, you get the the best bang for your buck. The whole time, we were passing/being passed by the Celebrity Summit Bus. (whom paid 99$/pp)

Tour went smooth and the buses were smaller than Celebrity Bus who had 15+ people vs 8-9.

The food was culturally unique and the bread was fabulous. Very fun experience.

As for the stops, they were quick and the views were amazing. Our group enjoyed it but be warned, both the Cruise guided trip and this trip both requires 6+ hrs and is alot of time in the bus. that being said, I would do it again because it was a really unique experience seeing so many different things in one day (Pitons, beauitful beach to snorkle at, banana farm, mud baths, waterfall and vast amounts of stops to take pictures of the countryside)

Ask for Ben.

Thanks for the additional details. I'm still wondering why the tour is listed as 5.5 - 6 hours on his website if it requires 6+ hours to complete - and some are saying a lot longer :confused: