I-75 Alligator Alley to Pt. Everglades...Sunpass only tolls?

bottomfeeder

Just wondering if any of the roads I'll take on my way in to the port will be Sunpass-only? Haven't purchased one yet but I can make a point to do so before my cruise next weekend if need be. Thanks!

The alley is both.

Its a 3 dollar toll and you can pay with cash. Sun pass is not needed.

Yep, I know that for Alligator Alley itself. But when I get off 75 and head towards the port in Ft. Lauderdale, will I be traveling on any Sunpass-only roads?

And I've driven through Alligator Alley several times now, and although I look I've not yet seen an alligator. You might though!

I am flying into Punta Gorda for our cruise in December and then renting a car and driving to Miami.

I've been wondering if we will see alligators along alligator alley.

Probably, depending upon the time of day. Sometimes you will see them sunning themselves on the banks of the streams.

You can turn off Alligator Alley and take one of the airboat rides and see gators.

I drive alligator alley all the time (my husband is working in Miami and I'm currently in Sarasota so I'm running back and forth) and I've never seen an alligator.

I've seen plenty of livestock however.

We live in Punta Gorda and take the alley for our cruises and see gators quite often. We used to take the bus and saw more then because we were higher up.

Once you see one, you'll start to see more because your eyes start to focus on their brownish color (they're not green).

some day when you have the time take US-41 rather then I-75 aka the Alley

you saw a lot of gators b4 the Alley was Interstate'ized . . .

take old 41 and you'll see 'em ... or at least I saw a bunch last time I went this way. It is the scenic route across the state in the south end. Many of the old style road side stops ... but 2 lane last time I did it . . . which the Alley was b4 Interstate-ized

We live in Punta Gorda and take the alley for our cruises and see gators quite often. We used to take the bus and saw more then because we were higher up.

Once you see one, you'll start to see more because your eyes start to focus on their brownish color (they're not green).

Since you live in Punta Gorda....what is the airport like??? From the looks of the website it looks rather small which is exactly the reason why were happy to flying in there instead of Miami or Fort Lauderdale

Since you live in Punta Gorda....what is the airport like??? From the looks of the website it looks rather small which is exactly the reason why were happy to flying in there instead of Miami or Fort Lauderdale

I am not aware of the airport, but if you fly in there and drive to Port Everglades it is only about 2 3/4 hours if you obey the speed limits.

I am not aware of the airport, but if you fly in there and drive to Port Everglades it is only about 2 3/4 hours if you obey the speed limits.

Yeah that's what I was planning on. We cruise out of Port of Miami but we are staying in Dania Beach.

Our local airport in Rockford, IL has a direct flight to Punta Gorda. This way I don't have to fly out of O'Hare or Midway in Chicago

It is very small. We just got a tower a few years ago. :)

A couple of flights each day. It's used by a lot of small private planes.

The Bush family fly into Punta Gorda each year for their family vacation in Boca Grande.

It's right off 75....one hour to Naples, then another hour to the FtL. exit and if you're lucky you can make it to Ft.L in about 2-1/2 hours.:) maybe a little less.

It is very small. We just got a tower a few years ago. :)

A couple of flights each day. It's used by a lot of small private planes.

The Bush family fly into Punta Gorda each year for their family vacation in Boca Grande.

It's right off 75....one hour to Naples, then another hour to the FtL. exit and if you're lucky you can make it to Ft.L in about 2-1/2 hours.:) maybe a little less.

Thank you for your response. That's why we're happy to be flying into a small airport...much more convenient.

Google maps says that it is 2.5 hour drive

some day when you have the time take US-41 rather then I-75 aka the Alley

you saw a lot of gators b4 the Alley was Interstate'ized . . .

take old 41 and you'll see 'em ... or at least I saw a bunch last time I went this way. It is the scenic route across the state in the south end. Many of the old style road side stops ... but 2 lane last time I did it . . . which the Alley was b4 Interstate-ized

I agree with Capt BJ. We winter in Florida and often drive our out-of-towner friends along hwy 41 to Everglades City (hwy 29). A few miles to the east of the junction of the two highways, there's an area that has a boardwalk next to a stream that's full of alligators, birds and all kinds of wildlife (on the north side of the road - you can't miss it - has picnic tables and washroom facilities). There are also forestry personnel who come around and talk to you about the wildlife. Last year, the person had a huge snakeskin that he let everyone touch.

We always lunch in Everglades City and have local fish and alligator tail apps.

driving down to fort Lauderdale in November and we always for down Alligator Alley and was wondering about doing the US- 41-is it much longer and where do I catch it if I am coming from Clearwater- we are going the day before so we are not in a hurry

Thank you for your response. That's why we're happy to be flying into a small airport...much more convenient.

Google maps says that it is 2.5 hour drive

Don't forget to wave when you pass Ft Myers

It is a very small airport. They still wheel out the steps so you can deplane. Reminds me of the old Ft Myers airport 30 years ago.

If the passenger looks you can see alligators. They look like dark logs in the water. Like a previous posted said. Once you find 1 they are much easer to spot.

driving down to fort Lauderdale in November and we always for down Alligator Alley and was wondering about doing the US- 41-is it much longer and where do I catch it if I am coming from Clearwater- we are going the day before so we are not in a hurry

well 41 runs south down the east side on Tampa Bay, paralleling I-75 until it passes south of Alligator Alley, I-75 when 75 turns hard east at Naples. I get off 75 at Naples and cut over either 84 or 951, to meet 41. Once it meets the turnpike extension west of Miami, 41 runs south of the airport and straight east into the Brickell area of south downtown Miami. US-41, Florida 90 aka Tamiami Trail. The 'nature' part ends at the turnpike for sake of this discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamiami_Trail

0091923.giftamiami_map.gif

It's hard to see anything but the white lines when you're driving 85 mph. :cool:

Stupid gators. Drove it yesterday coming back to Sarasota and driving it again tomorrow going back to FLL. I can spot them, grew up with them, seen a gazillion of them in the wild, they just hide from me along Alligator Alley.:D

Archived