Nassau must sees and must do's

racerboy88

John Watlings distillery. It's a must do for anyone under 40. Lots of free alcohol. Fun times. Got to talk to locals and learn about the culture too. Tour is non existent though.

Under 40?! This 42 year old takes offense to that!;):D

Props to you for giving us direct links! I enjoyed looking at all the pics at the straw market....Question maybe someone can answer: We will be in port 8a-5p. Will that be enough time to do a tour of Atlantis as well as the distillery and straw market? This is the port we are most excited about and the port that we have more than 1 thing planned. Im getting kinda scared we are planning too much :(

I assume you mean a ship's tour, since you can't just tour Atlantis.

You can take the jitney to the group of conch restaurants to the right of the portage. It is a good walk but doable also. See map above for location of jitneys. The restaurants don't open until noon but check online for Sundays. We enjoyed the flamingo walk at the zoo-ish place but the rest of the place was subpar. It is near the conch restaurants.

When we were there we took the water taxi back to the ship. The boat drive allowed some local to orate on what to see in Nassau and he was loud and unexperienced. He expected a tip. He had some misinfo also. I also thought the water taxis were overcrowded and low to the water. Hopefully they have been replaced. This was a few yrs ago.

How far is the starw market from where the ship docks? Walking is limited for me and I don't want to be "walked out" before I get there

There is alittle bus that runs from the Ships to the building-Festival Place

that everyone goes thru before going into town.........

The little Bus is free,,,,,I always tip the driver afew dollars...

The Bus runs back & forth going to the Ships

pick up people takes everyone to the building...

Then from the building back to the Ship........

If you can't get the bus,there is places along the way you can sit...

Inside the building there is benches to sit........

The Straw Market is not far from the dock.........

Can kids go through the distillery? Ours are 12, 14 & 15.

BTW, thanks for the great list. This will be our first cruise, but I'm not big on doing excursions and would rather do stuff on our own.

While I don't think there is a minimum age requirement for the tour, I'm old school and don't think that kids should participate at any function that is primarily designed to drink.. and this is.. the tour is quick.. and the main event is the sampling.. then the bar for a cocktail or 2.

Happy hour on Friday's is certainly an adult function although I've seen parents bring along their kids.

No need to stone me... as I said.. i'm old school.

While I don't think there is a minimum age requirement for the tour, I'm old school and don't think that kids should participate at any function that is primarily designed to drink.. and this is.. the tour is quick.. and the main event is the sampling.. then the bar for a cocktail or 2.

Happy hour on Friday's is certainly an adult function although I've seen parents bring along their kids.

No need to stone me... as I said.. i'm old school.

No problem, I am just trying to find things that my dh will enjoy and my kids don't really mind this kind of stuff. We homeschool, so they are used to all kinds of things. If it means history on alcohol, so be it. They know dh has on occasional beer and we're trying not to raise them as if alcohol is a bad things, it's just something one does in moderation.

I actually sent them a message through FB and this is what they said:

John Watling's Distillery, Ltd.Hi Kristine -- Yes, they are able to do the tour and can also have a virgin drink at our tavern. The place is very family friendly. By then our kitchen should be open and you can get lunch too. Regards,

No problem, I am just trying to find things that my dh will enjoy and my kids don't really mind this kind of stuff. We homeschool, so they are used to all kinds of things. If it means history on alcohol, so be it. They know dh has on occasional beer and we're trying not to raise them as if alcohol is a bad things, it's just something one does in moderation.

I actually sent them a message through FB and this is what they said:

John Watling's Distillery, Ltd.Hi Kristine -- Yes, they are able to do the tour and can also have a virgin drink at our tavern. The place is very family friendly. By then our kitchen should be open and you can get lunch too. Regards,

I'm not surprised. Kids are allowed almost anywhere in the bahamas.. and if you're old enough to ask for a drink.. someone will serve you. Its all about the $

Archived