Cruise Critic heads to Costa Maya!

Cruise Critic Chris

Thanks for the leg work Chris. Looking forward to the rest of your articles. Unfortunately from my view, the attraction of Costa Maya--t's "rustic" environment, appears to be heading toward the "cookie cutter" Disneyesque model that has befallen many Western Caribbean ports. But if successful it will bring much needed economic improvement to people who live in the area and are still struggling to get on their feet after Dennis and Wilma in 2005. So that's a communal "good thing", as Mahahual wasn't "rustic" by design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
There used to be an excursion, Temazcal Ceremony. I emailed the place but have gotten no answer. Is it still available?

http://www.costamaya-mexico.com/tours/ This is the site where I saw it. Thank you.

That's the website for the port itself. They run their tours based on interest from the cruise line, and I have a feeling that they stopped offering them after the Mayan calendar changed (at least I don't see it on any of the cruise line's websites). One hotel, Quinto Sole, was looking at adding an excursion that uses a temazcal that they have on a sister property, but it's not in place yet.

• Members
Hi Miss

Cruise Critic Chris

Maybe you can help me out I would like to rent something with wheels that I can drive around to see Costa Maya. can you tell me of a place that I can rent wheels?

This company in port rents Jeeps and vans: http://www.tucancostamaya.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=73

Or you can rent golf carts if you just want to drive around Mahahual: http://www.******************.com/Tour_GolfCart.cfm

That's the website for the port itself. They run their tours based on interest from the cruise line, and I have a feeling that they stopped offering them after the Mayan calendar changed (at least I don't see it on any of the cruise line's websites). One hotel, Quinto Sole, was looking at adding an excursion that uses a temazcal that they have on a sister property, but it's not in place yet.

Thank you. It looked interesting.

• 4 months later...
Thanks for your suggestions. I will be going down there independently and staying a few days so I can see as much as possible. I already plan to visit as many of the beach resorts that I can. I will also check out Native Choice tours, go kayaking in Balacar and do an ATV tour. Anything else? Let me know!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Try 100% Agave. It is about a block behind the beach venders. Fabulous authentic food explained by Fernando, the owner.huge portions.quite inexpensive.