Where to report dishonest travel agent?

red919

I know she takes advantage of discounted travel agent cruise fares, would like to alert her preferred cruise lines that she is involved in dishonest sales practices.

Please let me know how and to whom I should report her.

Did you report her to your cruise line?

red919, good idea to contact her one more time to let her resolve it. Otherwise, I would definitely contact the cruise line that you booked, as well as other lines that she represents. Every agency and their agents has a District Sales Manager at cruise lines that they represent. Call the cruise line that you sailed on, and inquire about contacting the DSM for your particular agency/agent. (via email is likely best). Or ask for the Marketing VP or Marketing Department, or what dept. you should be seeking, based on what happened to you.

And I'm sure the franchise would want to be notified of your issue with her. Franchisees of any business surely have policies and procedures to follow- whether it's a sub shop, cleaning service, travel agency, etc.

be careful reporting her to cruise line. Many cruise lines prohibit fee splitting and you may wind up with nothing.

The cruise lines disclaim any responsibility for TA's.

I didn't say he should; I asked if he had reported TA to the cruise line.

Thank you all for your support and helpful suggestions.

In answer to a previously asked question, no, the price of the cruise did not go down so she had no reason to change the obc amount.

We had booked two cabins with her and the email specifically states the obc amount was per cabin. When I saw she'd only given half that amount while on board the ship, I assumed she'd misread the email and by providing the email to her, would lead her to send the rest owed to us but instead has given me no response at all. This, from someone who had always previously answered back within 24 hrs.

I did send her one more email yesterday giving her 24 hrs to respond before I reported her. I included the emails she'd written stating the obc promised and said that I hoped this was some sort of mixup so we could settle this amicably as I didn't want to have to report her as negative reviews could harm her business. And I truly mean that. I really don't want to hurt her business but at the same time I don't want her to do this to anyone else. I think she realized her mistake and instead of taking responsibility, is hoping this will just go away. If she'd thought she was right, she certainly would have emailed back immediately stating so. Her silence speaks volumes.

WarumistdieBananekrumm,

Thank you for posting and sharing your complaint. I was hoping it was the same agent but the name isn't even close and she's located in a different state. I wish you luck in getting your complaint settled and am sorry you have fallen victim as well.

Cruiseco,

Thank you for the info on CLIA and how sad they don't handle customer complaints.

The posting you responded to above has 'vanished', perhaps containing too much identifying details;

thus, here is a revised copy

WARNING!

Less than a one star rating;

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, owner and president of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, operating as a contractor under the xxxxxxxxxxxx name, should not be allowed to conduct business as a Travel Agency .

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has proven incompetent, unprofessional and incapable to timely and correctly complete our xxxxxxxxxxx bookings made though her on August 13th when she received and processed our $1000.00 cruise deposit.

Each email communication received from 41 years old xxxx xxxxxxxxx is full of errors, containing arbitrary contact phone numbers / birth dates for each traveler and erroneous $ total amounts payable after the deposit. During phone conversations and emails, she promises timely completion of our cruise confirmation without her following up on those.

After 20 days (from Aug.10. to 30. 2013) of repeated e-mailing and payment of our deposit 17 days ago, the cruise line has not received the correct placement of the booking we conducted with xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx –xxxxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

Therefore, following the fruitless communication with xxxx xxxxxxxxx and her recent failing to respond to our emails, we lodged a complained against her with the cruise line and the major travel agency she contracts with using their logo name and email address.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, supervisor @ the major travel agency -Customer Service responded, after receiving copies of our documentation, by repeatedly speaking with its contractor with whom we placed our bookings (B2B) xxxxxxxxxxxx - President/Owner xxxxxxxxxxxxxx who verbally promised again to the major travel agency’s Representative xxxxxxxx rectifying action in the case of our booking. 20 days later, xxxx xxxxxxxx has failed placing de facto the correct bookings with the largest, most popular, fun promising cruise line.

So, to date, this cruise line has not received our correct bookings and we have not received correct confirmation from the agent, nor are we able to access our booking confirmation on the Cruise line’s Website under Manage My Booking.

XXXXXX Travel (the agency which sponsors/contracts the independent agency owner) points out that xxxx xxxxxxxx – xxxxxxx xxxxxx Travel Agency, in Alabama is an independent Travel Agency operator and contractor for xxxxx TRAVEL and solely responsible for any bookings that are placed with her, even though she operates under the auspices’ of XXXXX TRAVEL.

Neither the major cruise Cruise Line nor the contract receiving major Travel Agency are assuming any responsibility for the inadequacy or potentially fraudulent transaction conduct of their contracted travel agencies placing bookings through and under the name of XXXXX or the major cruise line.

This clarification may enlighten and help readers to make an informed decision before running the risk of placing their business with XXXXXX Travel through an apparent ‘fly by night’ operator.

Furthermore, it is remarkable to note the degree of professionalism XXXXXX Travel Company demands and presumably verifies before contracting independent agency operators allowed to place business under the XXXXXX TRAVEL name.

Below is a Copy emailed to us under the XXXXXX Name and to which we responded:

xxxxx, I just tried calling you personally to get a bit more information about your vacation. We missed one another, so I wanted to get a message out to you. I see that you have looked at a price online, which is another reason why I called.

I just wanted to be sure you knew that it takes a real expert to find the best possible deal for your vacation. There are so many different deals out there that only by speaking to myself or one of my colleagues; who search for great deals for our clients every day, can you be sure you’ve received the best possible deal.

Simply call me at xxxxxxxxxxxx With just a quick call, we can show you that our deals are even better than what cruise and tour companies can offer, not to mention much better service.

Keep in mind that there is a HUGE benefit to using a professional travel agent, and I promise you will get completely personalized service. I realize there are other online companies who all probably say they have the best deals too, but let us prove to you how we can beat them!

I want to thank you for giving me a chance to serve your needs personally. I will be YOUR advocate before, during and after your trip.

Again, welcome to the family, I'll keep in touch and I look forward to helping you plan your next step!

Sincerely,

xxxxxxx

XXXXXX Travel

http://www.xxxxxxTravel.com

xxxxx@xxxxxxTravel.com

Combined, we have booked more than 50 cruises within our immediate family and never experienced anything remotely like the above.

Previous bookings made were flawlessly placed with on line travel agencies like XXXXXXXXX XX XX, XXXXXX XXXX, or directly with the respective CRUISE Line which primarily include HAL, CELEBRITY, RCCL and NCL, with 5 Carnival Cruises up to approx. 2005.

Assuming a repetition of previous favorable experiences with the above American Travel Agencies, we failed to investigate the competency of xxxx xxxxxxxx’s, XXXXXXXX XXXXXX TRAVEL AGENCY, relying on the presumed integrity of XXXXXX TRAVEL agent operators, which has obviously proven to have been a grave mistake.

Hence the old adage:

BUYER BEWARE.

First of all, I know it's against CC rules to list a travel agent by name so I won't do that.

What I'm really asking is what I should do when my travel agent does not live up to her word. She promised to match a larger agency's obc but really only gave me half of what was agreed upon so not only did I lose money but a more honorable agency lost business.

I contacted her while on the cruise about this issue and received no answer from her. That was almost a month ago. Since then, she has not responded to any of my emails or phone messages. I lost close to $500 by booking through her and not only would I like to get my money back, but would also like to warn others before she "scams" them as well. Not to mention she might still have my credit card number on file and I worry about this as well.

The $500 she owes me may be lost for good but I would like to warn others. This particular travel agent is frequently on these boards but does not advertise here. I'm guessing the Better Business Bureau is my only option but as I know she takes advantage of discounted travel agent cruise fares, would like to alert her preferred cruise lines that she is involved in dishonest sales practices.

Please let me know how and to whom I should report her. Her website shows she is a member of CLIA so I guess I should start there?

Any input is very much appreciated.

I had to deal with one of those years ago. I got a phone call one day from the owner of the agency letting me know she had been arrested for embezzelment. I was refunded all my cruise money (that never made it to the cruise line.) Since then, I ALWAYS book directly through the cruise line.

The problem is that oral contracts are not often enforceable. If you have the OBC promise in writing then you can try to enforce the promise or certainly report the TA to your state's consumer protection agency. But failing a written promise it would simply be your word against the TA's and you should just accept it as a learning experience. You should make it clear to the TA that they have not only lost a customer, but you will not recommend them to anyone else.

Hank

Thank you all for your support and helpful suggestions.

In answer to a previously asked question, no, the price of the cruise did not go down so she had no reason to change the obc amount.

We had booked two cabins with her and the email specifically states the obc amount was per cabin. When I saw she'd only given half that amount while on board the ship, I assumed she'd misread the email and by providing the email to her, would lead her to send the rest owed to us but instead has given me no response at all. This, from someone who had always previously answered back within 24 hrs.

I did send her one more email yesterday giving her 24 hrs to respond before I reported her. I included the emails she'd written stating the obc promised and said that I hoped this was some sort of mixup so we could settle this amicably as I didn't want to have to report her as negative reviews could harm her business. And I truly mean that. I really don't want to hurt her business but at the same time I don't want her to do this to anyone else. I think she realized her mistake and instead of taking responsibility, is hoping this will just go away. If she'd thought she was right, she certainly would have emailed back immediately stating so. Her silence speaks volumes.

Since you had two cabins, are you positive that the missing onboard credit was not posted to the other account or were you the guarantor for both cabins? Definitely report to the cruise line itself.

The problem is that oral contracts are not often enforceable. If you have the OBC promise in writing then you can try to enforce the promise or certainly report the TA to your state's consumer protection agency. But failing a written promise it would simply be your word against the TA's and you should just accept it as a learning experience. You should make it clear to the TA that they have not only lost a customer, but you will not recommend them to anyone else.

Hank

actually most oral contracts are enforceable. Its an issue of proof of the terms here that are at issue.

Most purchases of cruises from TA's are made orally and you receive a written confirmation from the cruise line(not signed by anyone in the traditional sense) yet you are still obligated to pay.

Only a few contracts require a writing, signed by the party to be held(not by both parties) in most states governed by a "statute of frauds". These include contracts to sell real estate, contracts in excess of some dollar amount(typically $5000) or contracts that need to be preformed in over a year-with some exceptions.

So a contemporaneously writing(confirmation) even if sent by you would suffice as "proof". Your own oral statement is actually proof but without something further is unlikely to be relied upon.

Archived