Working on precruise tour from Anchorage, help...ideas

OC PAT

After much research I've decided to do our precruise tour on our own in May. We will be flying into Anchorage from Baltimore 5/19 and cruising out of Whittier 5/24.

We will pick up a rental car 5/20 in the AM, drive to Talkeetna (2.5 hr. drive time) for flight seeing and then onto Healy ( 3 1/2 hrs. drive time)to Denali Lakeview Inn B&B. Then do (30 min. drive time to the park) Denali Park via shuttle 5/21. First question; is the 6 hrs. drive time too ambitious for one day (5/20) which doesn't include the flight time and sight seeing stops? Dh is an experienced driver who has driven throughout US and Caribbean. He's okay with the driving but wants to make sure it is doable.

Leave Denali 5/22 and drive toward (6 hrs.) Anchorage onto Turnagain. Second question; Should we spend the night in Anchorage or somewhere just south of Anchorage?

On 5/23 drive down to Kenai (3 hrs. drive time) or Seward (2.5 hrs. drive time). Third question: which one? Then drive back up the Peninsula and Fourth question; stay somewhere near Whittier: Hope, Portage, Girdwood, Cooper's Landing or Anchorage?

If we do not stay in Anchorage we will have to return the car in Whittier. Fifth question: Is it Avis the only company that will let you do that? If I rent a car from downtown I can get a car from Enterprise for about $32.00 @ day, if I rent from the airport I can get a car from Avis for $75.00 @ day or from Alamo for $37.00 @ day. So that means that Avis is already doubling the costs from Alamo from the airport and it's roughly 60% more than downtown Enterprise.

Since it's a little less than an hr. from like Girdwood to Whittier and a hr. from Anchorage to Whittier it may be worth driving the extra hour on Friday 5/23 to save dollars. Sixth question; Am I seeing this right?

Finally I want to do one of the PWS tours Saturday. Seventh question: It appears that the only way to get to Whittier before 12 PM is to take advantage of the transportation provided by the tours, correct? The train and busses all seem to arrive after noon.

Sorry for the long entry but I wanted to give the reader as much info. as possible. We are in our early 60's, not hikers but do love experiencing new adventures. We love nature, sightseeing, understanding the culture and seeing animals in their natural surroundings. Yes, we know that May is not an ideal time for Denali but after much consideration we still want to go there. We really appreciate any and all ideas/input.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am sure others who are more experienced will chime in about the driving that first day. But my first thought when reading that description was that even if the driving itself is doable, how will you feel after the flight? That is a very long day on the road after what could be very little restful sleep.

Don't forget Anchorage is 4 hours behind the east coast, as well. Our flight left Ohio about 7 am and landed in Anchorage about noon. Even without an overnight flight, we knew that we wanted to have an easy first afternoon and evening, to rest up from the flight and adjust to the time change.

I never want to start a vacation so tired I spend the entire time trying to "catch up"! I definitely understand making the most of your time. When planning our trip, I forced myself to back off on my initial plans, and we had an incredible time. No, we did not get to see Denali, but we loved everything we did get a chance to do. Take a look through my blog, linked in my signature, if you are interested.

Have a wonderful trip!

Can you change your trip to a northbound cruise with the land portion at the end? If so, you'll have the advantage of access to the Eielson Visitor's Center and longer shuttle trip in Denali, which begins June 1. As it stands, you'll only be able to travel as far as Toklat 5/21.

EPIXX-we can't change the dates as we live in an Ocean Resort and DH is needed at work.

Subtchr-you give me pause to think here. So if I start our trek to Denali 5/21 instead of 5/20 what would I delete? Maybe return to Anchorage and do a day trip down to Exit Glacier and back...Hm.

Thanks for the assists.

First question; is the 6 hrs. drive time too ambitious for one day (5/20) which doesn't include the flight time and sight seeing stops?

We just returned from a northbound cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. Got off the ship, onto a bus in Whittier to Anchorage airport (90 minutes), rented a car, and drove to Denali all by 6:00 p.m. The weather was lousy (raining almost all the way) so we didn't stop. It takes 6 hours to drive because there is construction. I think the drive is doable, & the weather (especially in May) will dictate the sightseeing stops & whether you are able to do the flight.

We rented a car this summer at Anchorage airport and headed down to Homer and Seward areas. It is my understanding Avis is the only company where you can drop off the car in Whittier. Please be aware that there is a significant drop off charge when doing the one way car rental. I can't remember, but believe we were charged an additional $350 or so for the drop off fee on a one week rental. We just factored that in to our vacation expense since we were coming from Seward to board the ship and did not want to back track up to Anchorage. Time was important to us. We left Seward in the morning and were able to drive through the Whittier tunnel at the 10:30 am timeslot. We were on ship by 1:00 PM.

You'll probably be up early on the 20th due to time difference and ready to hit the road. Even with stops it's a do-able drive. Keep in mind that Talkeetna is about a 25 minute detour off the hwy. Also, flightseeing tours are frequently weathered out, so try again on the return drive.

Eielson isn't available until 6/1 but you can take the shuttle to Toklat which is the start of prime bear viewing territory. Maybe schedule a later shuttle bus so that you can sleep in a little.

I'd overnight in Girdwood 5/22; it's only 35-40 minutes beyond Anchorage so easily do-able even if you flightsee that day.

Glacier View and Hidden Creek b&b's get great reviews in trip reports. That leaves you with just under 2 hrs to reach Seward on the 23rd. What time is the Kenai cruise?

On 5/24 drive back to Anc. I'd suggest stopping at Exit Glacier as you leave town; the visitor center doesn't open until Memorial Day but the trails to the glacier MIGHT be accecssible. Return the car in Ancthen catch the Park Connection Bus to Whittier at 3pm or take a transfer. That gives you the RT car rental rate. http://alaskacoach.com/2013-Park-Connection-Schedule-Rates.pdf

Another option to keep a RT car rental .. return the car to Anchorage on 5/22 and on the 23rd take the train to Seward. It is timed to coincide with the 11:30 Kenai cruise, then departs at 6pm right after the cruise.

p.s. if the weather is bad, instead of going to Seward for the Kenai cruise take a Prince William Sound cruise instead from Whittier. They leave at noonish and return in time for cruiseship departures.

I would change your order around and do Denali Park LAST, not first like you have it.

Not sure why "Kenai" is listed? Do you really mean the city, which is on the Cook Inlet, or Seward?

IF you change your order around, day before your sailing, easy then to have a round trip Anchorage rental car, and arrange another transfer to Whittier. Add on Prince William Sound boat tour- simple on day of sailing.

Sorry for the delay as I was out of town. BQ there is no reason for the order and I'm embarrassed that I didn't catch the obvious! Reversing the order will solve many problems.

So we will stay in the Anchorage area 5/19 evening, pick up a rental car downtown on 5/20 and began our journey. I was looking at the town of Kenai but I have had second thoughts and think maybe Cooper's Landing and Seward. I'm thinking of visiting the sights and returning to the direction of Anchorage. Where would you recommend we stop for the evening on 5/20?

We will leave 5/21 for Denali Park, stopping in Talkeetna for flight seeing and onto Healy. Spend 5/21 and 5/22 evenings in Healy. We will do the shuttle to Toklat on 5/22. On 5/23 we will return to the Anchorage area and spend the night there. Any suggestions where? I'm thinking somewhere in town so we can drop the rental car off that evening.

On 5/24 I want to do the PWS tour. It appears the only way to get to Whittier before noon is to coordinate with the PWS tour, correct? When we get to Whittier around noon will the ship take our luggage at that time?

I really do appreciate your input. It has really helped me out.

I agree with Budget Queen on reversing your order. It will work out better.

As for where to stay in Anchorage, you have a large menu of choices. Many stay downtown at Marriott, Captain Cook, or Hilton. But, lots of folks like Midtown, where you will find Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden, Fairfield, Homewood Suites, Crowne Plaza, etc. These are close to some chain type eateries like Golden Corral, TGIFridays, Applebees, and even Starbucks. And they are about 15 mins from airport to return your car. I believe most all the Midtown hotels have shuttles.

I would skip Kenai. Not much to see or do there outside of fishing. Seward a much better choice. And the Prince William Sound Cruise is the one our visitors like the best (like it better than the Seward ones, though they are great too). I recommend the 26 Glacier cruise from Whittier. If its sunny out, it is superb.

Sorry for the delay as I was out of town. BQ there is no reason for the order and I'm embarrassed that I didn't catch the obvious! Reversing the order will solve many problems.

So we will stay in the Anchorage area 5/19 evening, pick up a rental car downtown on 5/20 and began our journey. I was looking at the town of Kenai but I have had second thoughts and think maybe Cooper's Landing and Seward. I'm thinking of visiting the sights and returning to the direction of Anchorage. Where would you recommend we stop for the evening on 5/20?

We will leave 5/21 for Denali Park, stopping in Talkeetna for flight seeing and onto Healy. Spend 5/21 and 5/22 evenings in Healy. We will do the shuttle to Toklat on 5/22. On 5/23 we will return to the Anchorage area and spend the night there. Any suggestions where? I'm thinking somewhere in town so we can drop the rental car off that evening.

On 5/24 I want to do the PWS tour. It appears the only way to get to Whittier before noon is to coordinate with the PWS tour, correct? When we get to Whittier around noon will the ship take our luggage at that time?

I really do appreciate your input. It has really helped me out.

What do you "plan" on doing at Cooper Landing and Seward? Frankly, it may not be worth the time, with thinking a day trip. Seward needs an overnight.

You can take Alaska RR for the boat tours. With proper tagging of your luggage, it will be transferred direct to the ship.

Thanks for the hotel list Denali. I'm not looking to spend much the first night since we will only be sleeping and then go. I'll check into your suggestions. Why do you like 26 glacier cruise? I heard some (not many) complaints that they felt rushed to make all 26 glaciers.

BQ-we are just planning to enjoy the scenic trip to Seward and Cooper's Landing. I have not looked hard at what to do in these towns, yet. I'm going to relook at this part of the trip now that I have reverse it and changed the turn around point. I do know I want to see Exit Glacier and catch the bore(?sp) tide. I will wait until Whittier to do the PWS tour. I checked the train schedule previously and could not find a departure that gets you into Whittier around noon. If memory serves me right it was like 1 or 2 PM arrivals or later.

Thanks for the hotel list Denali. I'm not looking to spend much the first night since we will only be sleeping and then go. I'll check into your suggestions. Why do you like 26 glacier cruise? I heard some (not many) complaints that they felt rushed to make all 26 glaciers.

BQ-we are just planning to enjoy the scenic trip to Seward and Cooper's Landing. I have not looked hard at what to do in these towns, yet. I'm going to relook at this part of the trip now that I have reverse it and changed the turn around point. I do know I want to see Exit Glacier and catch the bore(?sp) tide. I will wait until Whittier to do the PWS tour. I checked the train schedule previously and could not find a departure that gets you into Whittier around noon. If memory serves me right it was like 1 or 2 PM arrivals or later.

The Whittier train gets in at 12:05 p.m.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Transit/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

Even though this is the 2013 schedule, the Railroad has been doing this same schedule for years, and, I don't think they'll be changing it!

Also, be aware that bore tides don't happen all the time, and you need to be in the Turnagain Arm area which is about 1 3/4 hours away from Seward. You'll need to check the 2014 bore tide schedule (only the 2013 one is out right now) http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/13boretidesched.pdf

Susan in Anchorage :)

With your time, in my opinion, do a further look at the areas before you make any firm plans. Exit Glacier is hardly worth the time, especially if you are taking a boat tour. Glacier trekking is excellent on Matanuska, if you want to look into that. A bore tide is NOT common, and when it is seen, didn't do much for me. :) This also is going to require time you probably don't have. I would again, suggest you scrap any day trip out of Anchorage to Seward, and get an overnight. Plenty to see and do.

I highly recommend Denali Park Hotel, for a budget basic lodging. I have stayed there many times over the years, including 5 nights this year.

Susan-thanks for the train schedule info. and the bore tidal web site.

BQ-Sometimes I get so overwhelmed I get muddled. Are you suggesting spend 5/19 in Anchorage, travel to Seward and spend the night there on 5/20? Then start out for Denali on 5/21?

I checked out Denali Park Hotel and compared it to Denali Lakeview Inn. The Inn seems so nice and not much more. The view over a lake is very appealing. Do you have a preference on these two and why?

Matanuska Glacier sounds really neat. So many interesting things to do in a short time. I'm still leaning to the Turnagain Arm.

Matanuska Glacier sounds really neat. So many interesting things to do in a short time. I'm still leaning to the Turnagain Arm.

Yes, a very short time. Your ambitious schedule has you, for such a limited time, in each location so might consider scaling back a bit and spending more time in specific areas. My suggestion would be to not go to Denali and spend your time between Talkeetna, Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula/Seward, with the possibility of Matanuska Glacier. Denali would be one of the best chances to see bears during that time of year although there is no guarantee. If it’s the mountain you want to see the view is better from Talkeetna than it is from the park entrance and even then only visible about ¼ of the time. You’re going to be driving along Turnagain Arm at least once and probably twice.

Susan-thanks for the train schedule info. and the bore tidal web site.

BQ-Sometimes I get so overwhelmed I get muddled. Are you suggesting spend 5/19 in Anchorage, travel to Seward and spend the night there on 5/20? Then start out for Denali on 5/21?

I don't recommend a one day Seward/Denali drive either. :)

As already said above, unless you add some more time, you are going on a rushed marathon trip, with little time at destinations for the excellent activities they are known for. It is common to underestimate time and distances. It isn't freeway 75mph driving. Time is your biggest friend in Alaska. Take another look perhaps.

As stated above, stop and rethink again!

I know I want to do the Flight seeing in Talkeetna so that is what I will work around t and the PWS tour on the day of the cruise. We are sight/scenery lovers with animal sightings a plus. I thought Exit Glacier was neat because you could drive to it. If I'm doing the PWS tour, our cruise includes Glacier and Hubbard and we plan to visit Mendenhall maybe Exit should be cross it off and the cross off list should also include Matanuska Glacier. What do you think?

As stated above, stop and rethink again!

I know I want to do the Flight seeing in Talkeetna so that is what I will work around t and the PWS tour on the day of the cruise. We are sight/scenery lovers with animal sightings a plus. I thought Exit Glacier was neat because you could drive to it. If I'm doing the PWS tour, our cruise includes Glacier and Hubbard and we plan to visit Mendenhall maybe Exit should be cross it off and the cross off list should also include Matanuska Glacier. What do you think?

If Exit Glacier is the only reason you are going to Seward, yep, skip it.

:

An alternative idea is to rent a one way car Anchorage/Whittier with AVIS. Before you discount it because of the cost, it can offer you some great touring. With an early start, a stop at the Alaska Conservatory would at least give you a look as some animals, and a stop at the Portage Glacier visitor Center, very worthwhile. Go through the 11:30am tunnel and on to your boat tour. Easy drop off of your luggage and car drop off.

Depending on your time, doing the one way rental for only as long as you need to, based on a 24 hour clock, with a round trip Anchorage rental for the rest of your touring, can have some cost savings.

If I'm doing the PWS tour, our cruise includes Glacier and Hubbard and we plan to visit Mendenhall maybe Exit should be cross it off and the cross off list should also include Matanuska Glacier. What do you think?

Matanuska Glacier is a much better experience than Exit Glacier if you are receptive to going on a trek. It wouldn't be worth it to drive to either just to look at them if that was the only reason for going there. There are a couple of operators that get good reviews at Matanuska. Mica & Nova. We've been with Mica and they provide a very good, safe tour.

I'm taking a break and reviewing all my research to decide what we will do. It's a good thing the cruise is 8 months away. Do you know if there is anything that may be time sensitive that I need to commit to right away? ie Car rentals, popular tours....

I'm taking a break and reviewing all my research to decide what we will do. It's a good thing the cruise is 8 months away. Do you know if there is anything that may be time sensitive that I need to commit to right away? ie Car rentals, popular tours....

Car rentals, although, higher than in the past, Enterprise is running good weekly rates right now.

I like the 26 Glacier cruise, because the water seems calmer in the Whittier area. If it is sunny it is spectacular. I haven't heard the complaints you mentioned. Probably 4 different trips with family who was visiting. Everyone loved it, and no one felt rushed. They serve a lunch too. It is not too bad.

Seward boat tours are good, but the water can be rougher. And as others have mentioned, the drive there may be too much to get in. And a drive from Seward to Denali Park would be gruesome. You would be exhausted.

Archived