Working on precruise tour from Anchorage, help...ideas

OC PAT

I agree with Denali 1.....I have been on the 26 Glacier cruise at least 8-10 times. No chance of ever being seasick. decent chance on seeing a whale or two....and the glaciers can be beautiful in any weather....As for glacier close up viewing....no one has mentioned the Byron Glacier...It is near the Begich Boggs Center in Portage and you only have to walk an easy 1/4 mile and you are standing on the glacier....You can even hunt for ice worms......and it is free if you don't enter the Boggs visitor center. The Kenai fjord cruise trips out of Seward are much more apt to see marine life such as otters, sea lions, etc....different body of water.....lots of different choices....Also, both tour companies provide Transportation for an extra charge out of Anchorage...and leave the driving to them....that makes a 1 day trip easy.....May is a great month to visit.....but there is always the possibility of snow.....This year our last snow was on May 20th and I had 6" just outside of Anchorage.....so driving can/could be hazardous going north....:) Almost all of the mid town hotels...at least Homewood Suites...have shuttles that will take you downtown, the RR, to a hotel so you can get a transport to somewhere else...etc.....it is easy and convenient. Also keep in mind, that the city of Anchorage is a bit larger than the state of Delaware......:)

I like the 26 Glacier cruise, because the water seems calmer in the Whittier area. If it is sunny it is spectacular. I haven't heard the complaints you mentioned. Probably 4 different trips with family who was visiting. Everyone loved it, and no one felt rushed. They serve a lunch too. It is not too bad.

Seward boat tours are good, but the water can be rougher. And as others have mentioned, the drive there may be too much to get in. And a drive from Seward to Denali Park would be gruesome. You would be exhausted.

Have you gone with Major Marine out of Whittier?

Thanks Laughing Husky (love your name). I did not know the comparison size of Anchorage and the state of Delaware. I live maybe 5 miles from the Delaware line so I really have a better understanding of the size-WOW!

I am also interested if you and Denali 1 have tried Major Marine out of Whittier. If so how does it compare to 26 Glaciers?

Budget Queen have you ever used Priceline for car rental? I usually get the rental 1/2 of what is posted on line and was considering going that route. This would save dollars but I know I would not be able to drop it off at the pier.

Checking into Bryon Glacier...

Thanks Laughing Husky (love your name). I did not know the comparison size of Anchorage and the state of Delaware. I live maybe 5 miles from the Delaware line so I really have a better understanding of the size-WOW!

I am also interested if you and Denali 1 have tried Major Marine out of Whittier. If so how does it compare to 26 Glaciers?

Budget Queen have you ever used Priceline for car rental? I usually get the rental 1/2 of what is posted on line and was considering going that route. This would save dollars but I know I would not be able to drop it off at the pier.

Car rentals sell out here during the summer season, or their prices go sky high.

So, I'd find a cancellable rate that you're comfortable with, and, make it, and, then try Priceline. So, at least you'd have something if you didn't win on Priceline.

Susan in Anchorage :)

The Municipality of Anchorage is about the size of Delaware but it also has several communities within its boundary. The city itself is a fraction of the size of Delaware.

Bryon Glacier is a nice hike although it is nearly 1 mile to the snowfield and then quite a bit further to the toe of the hanging glacier. Most don’t make it that far.

Archived