Australia Travel Visa

YAC

I just used Easy ETA for the second time. We used them several years ago, too. Took me about 3 minutes to do 2 visas, got my receipt and acknowledgement in about 10 seconds, used PayPal which has a buyer protection service. It's all good.

The Aussies really know how to make it easy with their electronic (and inexpensive) travel visa.

We also used the EasyETA website for our Australian Visa earlier this year and had no problems... we also used PayPal.

GradUT

Yes, Easy ETA is a legitimate website (maybe not OFFICIAL since it isn't the government's) That aside, Australian visas may be obtained by U.S citizens for $9.95 each instead of $20 each. I have used them several times but people are welcomed to pay twice that amount if they are nervous but they need not be.

Late2cruisin--do give us details! I've heard of travel agents arranging the ETAs for free, but I've never heard of an airline doing it.

On our first trip to Australia (years ago) we flew United and it was done automatically. At least that's the way I remembered it! So when we booked United tickets again for our upcoming cruise from Sydney, I assumed it was done. Luckily, I called and asked. They checked and said it had not been done, but they took all our information over the phone (passport numbers and details) and after a few minutes, they said it was attached electronically to our passports and would show up when they were scanned at the airport.

I'm not sure if all airlines will do this for you, but I would certainly call and ask. It was easy and free :D

On our first trip to Australia (years ago) we flew United and it was done automatically. At least that's the way I remembered it! So when we booked United tickets again for our upcoming cruise from Sydney, I assumed it was done. Luckily, I called and asked. They checked and said it had not been done, but they took all our information over the phone (passport numbers and details) and after a few minutes, they said it was attached electronically to our passports and would show up when they were scanned at the airport.

I'm not sure if all airlines will do this for you, but I would certainly call and ask. It was easy and free :D

I just called American Airlines and they do not do the Visas...so, I guess it's Easy ETA! From my research, it sounds like we need to get the visa before we leave and not on the plane like a landing card!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my personal experience. We recently cruised from NZ to Australia on Celebrity. I booked direct with Celebrity, didn't use a TA. Celebrity does not do ETAs "for free", as do some TAs. So I had to get my own ETA.

I went with the EasyETA web site at USD $9.95. I had my ETA confirmation the next day. It was "easy". When I checked in for my cruise in Auckland, the agent asked to see confirmation of an ETA. I pulled out a copy of the email from EasyETA. The agent didn't even look at it - she just wanted to see that I had it. We cleared Australian customs on-board during the Tasman sea crossing. The on-board Australian immigration agent never asked about our ETA. I assume it showed up on their notebook computer they were using.

As to the ongoing debate about using EasyETA versus the www.immi.gov.au site, decide which one lets you sleep better at night. Some people sleep better having used what they consider to be the "official" site. Being a thrifty person, I sleep better if I don't overpay. I would annoy me if I paid $A20 at www.immi.gov.au.

knowing that others got their ETA for USD $9.95 at EasyETA.

Edited by Mercruiser

• 4 weeks later...
Here is my personal experience. We recently cruised from NZ to Australia on Celebrity. I booked direct with Celebrity, didn't use a TA. Celebrity does not do ETAs "for free", as do some TAs. So I had to get my own ETA.

I went with the EasyETA web site at USD $9.95. I had my ETA confirmation the next day. It was "easy". When I checked in for my cruise in Auckland, the agent asked to see confirmation of an ETA. I pulled out a copy of the email from EasyETA. The agent didn't even look at it - she just wanted to see that I had it. We cleared Australian customs on-board during the Tasman sea crossing. The on-board Australian immigration agent never asked about our ETA. I assume it showed up on their notebook computer they were using.

As to the ongoing debate about using EasyETA versus the www.immi.gov.au site, decide which one lets you sleep better at night. Some people sleep better having used what they consider to be the "official" site. Being a thrifty person, I sleep better if I don't overpay. I would annoy me if I paid $A20 at www.immi.gov.au.

knowing that others got their ETA for USD $9.95 at EasyETA.

Thank you for your update on using EasyETA. I purchased the same as you did, I'm thrifty to and can sleep.. On our last 2 cruises I ask US customs to confirm my easy ETA and had no clue what I was talking about.:D

EasyETA is just a vendor that provides processing for visa applications and sends them on to the Aussie government web site. Perfectly legal, etc. I got my approval email this morning. This is minus my id information:

TYPE OF TRAVEL T TOURIST

ENTRY STATUS UD/601 ETA

AUTHORITY TO ENTER AUSTRALIA UNTIL 16NOV2014

PERIOD OF STAY 03 MTHS

MULTIPLE ENTRY

NO WORK - BUSINESS VISITOR ACTIVITY ONLY

ETA APPROVED

I too used ETA and I have written proof as above and will put with my passport. We too paid with paypal

Muriel

• 2 weeks later...

We can confirm that EasyETA is legitimate and the process works perfectly. Our Visas were confirmed in 2 hours for 6 people via email and there were absolutely no problems with immigration.

I printed and carried the confirmation email just in case. 3 of us had to report to the Customer Service desk 2 days into the cruise to show the copies - but this was a Celebrity mix up that happened during check in (reportedly to 600 passengers). When we actually went through immigration just before the Tasmanian port everything was fine. :D

As a member of Flyertalk, we got ours free of charge through a member volunteer. They asked that we "pay it forward" and do something good to the community with the money saved. Must be a member of Flyertalk and with certain number of posts published.

• 6 months later...

Good Morning Everyone :-)

I am gradually making my way through our "to do" list for this cruise and am about to secure our travel Visas for Australia. Hubby called Delta and they said to call our embassy, but this seemed a bit silly. I am seeing good feedback on EasyETA, but before I go any further thought it would be a good idea to check here for advice? Really looking forward to this trip :-)

Robin

Good Morning Everyone :-)

I am gradually making my way through our "to do" list for this cruise and am about to secure our travel Visas for Australia. Hubby called Delta and they said to call our embassy, but this seemed a bit silly. I am seeing good feedback on EasyETA, but before I go any further thought it would be a good idea to check here for advice? Really looking forward to this trip :-)

Robin

No need to call the embassy, sounds like a bit much. I think Delta is clueless on the matter. Just go to this site and pay the $20AUD and you're all done. I've never used EasyETA and I see its slightly cheaper, but the link I provided is the actual government site. The ETA will be linked to your passport number, so you don't even need to bring any paperwork.

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp

Edited by We Go Cruise Brah